[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
3 WA Players in the Xwing Galactic World Cup - Page 9 - WestGamer
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:50 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:43 am 

Yup, 100-0 loss. As Matt said, Kath got swamped and that was it for her. Krassis had a few more turns in him, but it was a foregone conclusion. A fun game nonetheless. :)

I tried a few different things maneuvering-wise this game, and was pretty pleased with the results. Gambled a k-turn that left me close to the board edge, dead happy about that one. :mrgreen: But when I say pleased, I mean it was extremely educational, and hopefully I can fly a little better next time. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 pm 

Haha well well done :) Playing those guys is great to improve.

Maybe I should get our game out of the way before you get too good... :D

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

Dystopian Wars June 2013 Campaign TFR

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:58 pm 

Next up in Zeltros Division:

Max's Interceptor/Tie PS 66666
Royal Guard Pilot — TIE Interceptor Push the Limit Stealth Device
Royal Guard Pilot — TIE Interceptor Push the Limit
"Backstabber" — TIE Fighter
"Dark Curse" — TIE Fighter
Black Squadron Pilot — TIE Fighter Veteran Instincts

vs Matt's Elite Tie Swarm
Howlrunner TIE Fighter Swarm Tactics (2) Stealth Device (3)
Mauler Mithel TIE Fighter Swarm Tactics (2)
Black Squadron Pilot/TIE Fighter (14) Draw Their Fire (1) Shield Upgrade (4)
Academy Pilot/TIE Fighter

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:08 pm 

That was a hard game.

Two-shot Tie fighters aren't ideal vs PTL interceptors, basically if you let just one get to end game they can last forever. I set up in a tight formation with Howlrunner lagging behind, and as our two blocks of tie-fighters approached for the traditional joust I decided to instead have them all bank left in formation to home in on a single interceptor and ignore the tie fighters on the flank.
As luck would have it, this paid off as swarm tactics and some nice shooting saw it explode before it fired. Max returned fire, but at long range so damage was minimal.

In the next turn, I assumed he'd think I would persue his remaining interceptor, so instead sent everyone except Mauler the opposite direction with a hard right, meaning his ties crashed into them and his interceptor shot off without a target.
His backstabber was killed in the fire fight, while I directed a crit onto my Black Squadron's shield using draw their fire, followed by another crit (Direct Hit!) to keep a tie who took three hits alive.
By the end of this engagement I had 3 ties on a single HP left, but it was all looking very professional so it was time to make a mistake. :roll:

I accidentally set one of my Kturn dials to be a K3 instead of K4, so formation of ties started by flipping past the enemy with perfect precision before one of them decided to do a shorter move, so that black squadron crashed into him stressed and Howlrunner did the same - in close range of enemy guns.

Howlrunner was lucky to take a hit and a crit (which was taken by black squadron - that upgrade really pays for itself if you fly tight!). It would take another couple of turns to get HR back in the fight, and the game devolved into cat-and-mouse as I tried to keep 3 academy tie fighters on the dodging diving rolling boosting interceptor.

I finally trapped it in the corner, jammed its actions, and had mauler mithel at close range (4 shots with focus), only mauler flop his attack and the interceptor evade, then Max used him to destroy Howlrunner.
The next turn was too much for it however, as I put an academy tie on both sides of the rock in front of it so there was no way out without hitting the asteroid, and he smashed into an academy tie and was pushed onto the rock and destroyed.

100-42
It's a lower score difference than the other two games, but I'm definitely happiest with this result because I considered my squad the underdog vs a fleet boosted by interceptors.

Replay:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkimzi22vsjf7 ... vsMax.vlog

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:05 am 

Three for three. Most impressive. :mrgreen:

Me vs Iain3 set for around 1pm Sunday. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:39 am 

Had a funseys game against Matt yesterday. I am getting worried, he is really starting to enjoy flying his swarm, I think we haven't seen the last of it :D

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:05 pm 

And another game ends in a loss to the bounty hunters... seems no-one needs their scum. :)

The match was as close as it gets, coming down to Kath Scarlet vs B-Wing D1 (the last survivor of it's 3-man wing). Kath's shot reduced the B-Wing to a single hull point (saved only by it's one and only evade dice), and she failed to evade the return shot. A good game, with many an encouraging word given afterwards by those viewing from the gallery. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:05 pm 

Theorist was full of praise for you, that's something! :)

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:24 pm 

Quote:
Kath's shot reduced the B-Wing to a single hull point (saved only by it's one and only evade dice), and she failed to evade the return shot.
That's really close, especially as you shoot first. Tough break! I'd like to watch the replay when it goes up.

Was that your final division game?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:32 pm 

Still gotta play Alex, sorting out a time. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:24 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Kath's shot reduced the B-Wing to a single hull point (saved only by it's one and only evade dice), and she failed to evade the return shot.
That's really close, especially as you shoot first. Tough break! I'd like to watch the replay when it goes up.

Was that your final division game?
Even worse: that BWing went through a rock, TWICE, and didn't roll a hit!

Really really close game :)

EDIT: and the clash of the Titans, Doobleg VS Innocent, is on tuesday at 7pm :D

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:28 pm 

It's on right now! Alex is two ties down ("JEEEEEFFFF!!!"), but he's looking strong.

Also, I was 30 minutes late, apparently... but ALex was too classy to bring it up. CHeers, ALex. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:41 pm 

ALex is four ties down now, but the rebels have no shields and Gold 2 is limping hard... could go either way!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:25 pm 

And with just two ties remaining without any loss to my side, the game has been called a win for the rebels. :mrgreen:

The game was closer than the final results suggest. A couple tough rounds of firing and some unfortunate rock-bumps allowed my Y-Wings to scrape through with two and four hull points respectively, while Chewie was down to just five.

Thanks again for the game, Alex. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:59 am 

I am surprised you chose your Rebel Convoy vs Alex's tie swarm, but well done winning the game.
Do you have the replay?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next