[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Star Wars Mafia Game - Page 56 - WestGamer
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:34 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 841 posts ]  Go to page Previous 153 54 55 56 57 Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars Mafia Game
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:56 pm 

Quote:

If you'd been vanilla town instead of super cook killer you'd probably have joined anyway, but we were way below the recommended 33% vanilla in this game :D
Yeah if I was Vanilla town and not the SK I probably would have joined. And I have to say I actually already had you lined up as my next target before I got the recruit PM, that actually just gave me a whole lot of ammo to feed into confusing the game for everyone else, I kind of wanted the town to kill mafia during the day so I could actually focus on killing them at night BUT with recruitment in the mix meant I had to adjust my plan otherwise I was going to be easily outnumbered, it was a very fine line to balance.

I specifically asked Greenfuji about if I could use text from the PM in the thread, in hindsight I think he should have said NO.

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:59 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Then how is it that we were able to PM after you'd turned into a Mafia goon?

Greenfuji was very clear in that we were communicating in line with our Mason POWER roles (which you lose when you become a Mafia goon).
Bloodlust, if you look back, Nurgle never once responded to any of your PM's. He took the message you told him to post in the thread but never replied. Hence why malignant wanted you guys to communicate in reverse. It was very hard for me to explain that Nurgle could still receive but not respond without giving him up.
Precisely. If the recruitment worked as stated, he should have been forbidden from acting on any PM sent by a Mason as that line of communication had been "cut" with the recruitment.

Him PM'ing to me was just a clear rules break then.
yes, thats what confused me as i thought mafia cant pm/reply to town. Nurgle had been quiet the whole game, i just assumed he had real life commitments. Ah mafia is a definite learning game for sure. always something new.

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:13 pm 

Good win town, sorry for doubting you Mikzor. Im happy that i survived the game but i think we learnt one thing: truth is the most powerful tool of the town, dont lie about your name as that lost us our doc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:19 pm 

Lol I don't think anyone needs to apologise to Mikzor. Do you not remember how guilty he looked?

http://westgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... or#p230839

Well, ok maybe I should apologise, sorry mate but I was just doing my job. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Here's fun fact for everyone about this game...

I actually had NO idea that I had a self save! (Greenfuji didn't give me this info in the role confirmation PM) I totally just thought that I had been protected by the bodyguard when it was revealed that we had one, though in hindsight I guess this would have meant that the bodyguard would have died in my place.

The whole "aura of invulnerability" that I created with my various posts - was just a complete Jedi mind trick. ;) It's hilarious that the mafia fell for it for so long!

My hand was forced after some idiot townie decided it would be a clever idea to STATE OPENLY in the thread that the cop's protection had likely disappeared with the bodyguard's death! I mean seriously WTF! Were you TRYING to paint a target on me?!? :roll:

So I then had to take drastic action and create the fallacy (which if you look carefully at everything I posted - I never actually lied) to protect myself. By making it seem that the mafia would be taking too big of a risk by targeting me for a kill (either through some kind of trap, or wasting a night's kill on some kind of protection), I was able to successfully stay in the game.

Worked like a charm. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:23 pm 

Quote:
My hand was forced after some idiot townie decided it would be a clever idea to STATE OPENLY in the thread that the cop's protection had likely disappeared with the bodyguard's death! I mean seriously WTF! Were you TRYING to paint a target on me?!? :roll:
And you must think Mafia is stoopid?
With the Serial Killer most likely dead.
You outed as cop.
Mafia targets you.
You survive, another townie ends up dead...........

c'mon..............it was there for all to see.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:32 pm 

Quote:
The whole "aura of invulnerability" that I created with my various posts - was just a complete Jedi mind trick. ;) It's hilarious that the mafia fell for it for so long!

Worked like a charm. ;)
Well, not really, we tried to kill you twice!

But anyway, I should have claimed Wedge Antilles! Almost did too. Never mind :)

Thaks for running in Neil, it is a lot tougher playing on the Mafia side, but also fun watching the times the town chase their own tails. Killing the doc first day was gold ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Well, not really, we tried to kill you twice!
Before then you tried!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:43 pm 

@Bloodlust - when Nurgle went to the dark side, he could only be communicated too, so you and Rocdocta2 would still include him in your messages. He just could not reply to your messages. He could post in the thread anything he liked and could read your messages. It was the only way to maintain his cover without immediately highlighting that he had gone to mafia.

Granted, in future games, if there is a recruitment mechanic, I don't think allowing mason recruitment is a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:53 pm 

Well while I wasn't there in the end to enjoy the spoils of victory, I can rest assured throwing myself in front of old ben to take that lethal blaster shot seems to have made a difference along the way... :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:53 pm 

Quote:
@Bloodlust - when Nurgle went to the dark side, he could only be communicated too, so you and Rocdocta2 would still include him in your messages. He just could not reply to your messages. He could post in the thread anything he liked and could read your messages. It was the only way to maintain his cover without immediately highlighting that he had gone to mafia.

Granted, in future games, if there is a recruitment mechanic, I don't think allowing mason recruitment is a good idea.
Nurgle's "For the win :)" PM then broke game rules (and also confirmed him as town).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:05 pm 

Great game everyone, was a lot of fun to play alongside you guys.

Here were the PMs I sent to greenfuji when I received the recruitment offer:
Quote:
Three questions, I think I know the answers but want clarification.

1) Will I continue to be 'Yoda'? (I'm guessing yes)

2) With I continue to be a tracker? (I'm guessing no)

3) Will I show up guilty upon investigation? (I'm almost certain yes)
Quote:
I'll reply shortly... but will briefly write about my thought process now.

The most tempting thing about joining the Sith for me is not the power, but to understand the mechanic. A mafia that can recruit every night is insanely powerful... unless there is a vigilante who scores a perfect game there is statistically no way the town can win. Unless killing the cult leader stops recruitment, but the chances of that happening before it's too late are very remote. Alternatively a mafia cult without a factional kill could balance it.

Another thing tempting me to join is knowing that due to my experience I'm likely a high profile target.

Preventing me from joining is the loss of an investigative power and the fact that I find the challenge of winning as town more rewarding than playing as mafia.

Also as a high profile player I'm very likely to be investigated by cop. If I'm incredibly lucky I was investigated Night 0, otherwise my number would certainly be up very soon. This in fact might tip me away from joining....

I'll give you an answer shortly....

Actually another very important question.

Will I become mafia goon at daybreak or during the night? In other words If I accept would I show up guilty tonight?
As you can see I put a lot of thought into it, unlucky for me my worry that I'd be cop targeted for being a "high profile" player came true. The recruitment very was interesting to see, and turned out differently to how I've seen it go in the past (not that I've ever seen a cultafia before). Obviously I was wrong about the strength of the mafia recruitment power, but I was wrong for a few key reasons. I big reason was the multitude of power roles in this game, far more than I'm used to, and power roles are far less likely to accept a recruitment offer. Secondly many veteran players know that if every recruitment offer is accepted then the cult can win very quickly, and they bank on the other players knowing this and therefore also joining. Thirdly our serial killer got very lucky in nailing a couple of mafia and Malignant did well in his targeting as well. Fourthly there were a huge amount of masons in this game, which makes things very difficult for town. Recruitment mechanic notwithstanding masons are perhaps even more confirmed "town" than showing up innocent under cop investigation. Therefore the mafia have a near impossible time getting masons lynched and they need to invest a lot of time in killing them, which stops them targeting investigative power roles.

Overall I think the game could have gone either way, but the town had it pretty good. The number of masons combined with the number of pro-town power roles and self-saves made things very tough for the mafia. Still, it was a great first game for Greenfuji, if a little ambitious.

It will be interesting to see how the westgamer mafia meta-game shapes up, but no matter what we need to remember that balance is the key. Let's all keep an eye on the stats.

Big thanks to Greenfuji!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:16 pm 

Wow, lets start form the top i guess.

I'm mafia yay ... This was crazy. at one stage i checked my e-mails, went to sleep then to work, the to sleep again ... i wake up to 30+ e-mails...

Role calls were so difficult its not funny. We can't all be skywalker ....
I literally watched all the movies, and the best i could come up with was General Jan Donanna. IT woked for a bit, so that was OK.
But seriously, the Mafia members were at a HUGE disavantage in the RC department.
You should have pushed to the End Luke, we had nothin ...

OK, the recuitments. I'm so GLAD Luke didn't accept night 0, seriously the mafia would have won this easy ... seriously.

Think about it. That would be +1 for us and -1 for town. We wasted 2 kills on Luke, which would have been -2 town,
It was Luke's investigation of Russia that was his downfall +1 Mafia, his random guess of me +1 Mafia ...
It goes on, but in all seriousness, if Luke accepted, this would have been VERY easy, even though you guys doubted him SO much.

On that note.... haha, how hilarious that was. Even after i died, there was doubts, ahhh good times.

There was a stage where it was just me and Nurgle, and I knew there was a good chance i would get looked at.
So i did have a bit of a speal to go on, to get Mal Lynch.
It "Almost" worked, I think if certain people logged on at the right time, we could have got the balll really rolling.

My problem there was i posted it, then went and started a 12 night shift down south, so i was afk for 14 hours... ugh.
And of course, I got killed by the end of it. If i made it home in time, (Before the last 3 votes on me, they really just rolled in)
I was going to get Bloodlust killed, and i truly think i would have been successful.

Oh and Greenfuji, yes i am a crazy pyschic. I picked Russia as Yoda, and to be a power role (I believe he was Tracker)
I also said i really don't think Mal would turn Mafia, as he just was, and I don't think he would take it on close to FoA's.

Oh one other thing ... OSOI ... STUFF YOU !
I think you killed 2 of us in the night ? Hat and Matt.... how annoying, this REALLY hurt our chances.
Hat dropping night 1, Russia and Orange getting lynched in the next 2 days, and Matt getting killed the following night.
How annoying ...

Either way, this was a fantstic game.
I enjoyed it from this side. and it was good to get a view.
But I think I'm more suited to "Vanilla, Town" or, Wildly accurate accusation maker :mrgreen:

Cheers to GF for making this possible and putting up with our ridiculous amount of e-mails from so few people !

TheGambler#11893
Add me on Hearthstone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:46 pm 

Quote:
Oh one other thing ... OSOI ... STUFF YOU !
I think you killed 2 of us in the night ? Hat and Matt.... how annoying, this REALLY hurt our chances.
Hat dropping night 1, Russia and Orange getting lynched in the next 2 days, and Matt getting killed the following night.
How annoying ...
Yep two targetted mafia hits its fun being a one man army :mrgreen:

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:55 am 
Site Admin

@ Aza: Completely agree with you about what would have happened if I had have accepted the recruitment offer. To be honest - this was a big part of why I refused. If I had have flipped, it would have just been WAY too easy for the mafia to win. I could have made an early role call, kept the existence of the Sith to myself, AND the town would have lost its cop. I wanted more of a challenge. I also didn't want my in-box to fill up with more messages... I have a capacity for 400, and it's STILL always full!

Theme played a big part too. I just couldn't go with the idea of Obi-wan turning to the dark side. It just wasn't right. ;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 841 posts ]  Go to page Previous 153 54 55 56 57 Next