It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:45 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:30 am 

Westgamers!
Imagine all the intrigue, planning, strategy and backstabbing of the Game of Thrones in your browser or even on your iPhone!

After really enjoying my first try of the fantastic "A Game Of Thrones" boardgame last week, I had a look around to see if there was a way to play it online and found one on a site called http://www.thronemaster.net

The Game Starts Here:
Round 1 http://westgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 10#p401910

They've now been kind enough to make me a MoT Admin (the power, the POWER) so I can create games and password protect them, which means I can now extend an invitation for up to 5 Westgamer members to join a GOT online.

How does it work?
This is a free fan site, but they've built a pretty sophisticated system for playing the game. Supply tracking, random card draws, castles and scoring, the influence tracks, attack calculations etc are all handled by the system so in some ways it's actually easier to play than the boardgame version, and much harder to make a mistake.

What does it look like?
Nice and crisp. Not as good as the actual boardgame with actual pieces and actual cards that you can actually throw at one another while trading crisps for support, but it's really clear and has mouseover info on many pieces etc.

How do you actually play it?

One of two different ways. You can either play LIVE, which means everyone is there and does their moves and it zips along (game time 2-4 hours) or you can switch to Play-By-Email which means players get an email when it is their turn and can then go make their moves. That means turns take a lot longer, but you don't have to actually be there online all the time. Ideal for teabreaks throughout a work day :D
It still goes at a reasonable pace as long as the players are in the same time zone (ie Westgamers :D). As long as you set your expectations and have a little patience, this is a low-commitment way to play the game.
It actually CAN be played on an iPhone, so is an extremely portable game.

Is it actually on Westgamer?
The game will be hosted elsewhere, but only open to Westgamer players and I'd like to do a screenshot at the end of each turn with a quick move report for the mob here, so they can cheer for their champions.

How do I get in?
There is room for 5 other players in the first game I'd like to kick off. They MUST know the rules already. I'd give first dibs to the participants of the game at Malignant's Manor because they obviously know the rules and might appreciate the chance to settle scores after a game that ended early.

If there are enough players who can do this, I'd like the first game to start as a LIVE one (fast play, all online) at say 7:30pm tonight or Friday and then switch to PBEM (players can be offline, play your move whenever convenient) for the game to go over friday and the weekend. If we can do the LIVE start, we'd probably get half the game done in the first 2 hours and the second half over a few days of PBEM.
You'd also need to register on http://www.thronemaster.net and be approved be a mod before it starts.

Interested?

Say if you'd like to play, or like password access to watch the first game.
Can you play LIVE at around 7:30pm, or would you prefer PBEM only.

Last edited by Matt-ShadowLord on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 am 

I'm totally keen, but I won't be able to play until next week due to commitments... and lack of bandwidth. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:34 am 

I'd be keen but have afternoon shift at work this week.

Will keep an eye out thiugh

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:46 am 

Interested but PBEM would be my preference... Even though that is sllloooooooowwwwww

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Definitely keen for the PBEM option. I reckon with the right group we'll still smash through it plenty quick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 pm 

Quote:
I'm totally keen, but I won't be able to play until next week due to commitments... and lack of bandwidth. :oops:
Could likely do PBEM if we started on Saturday. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:44 pm 

I'll consider that. The ideal would be to do one where everyone can actually be there and play LIVE for the first few hours simply because it speeds the game up so much. It's like a turbo boost that can shave days off the full duration of the PBEM part.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

But the "turbo boost" doesn't have to be at the beginning does it? We could get a few PBEM turns in and then coordinate an evening of speed play via skype during the mid game when it's convenient?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:29 pm 

I do love me some game of thrones board game. Unfortunately I'm back on afternoon shifts from tomorrow till Sunday. My next days off are Monday and Tuesday. :(

Went ahead and created an account anyway. Username Sebly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:52 pm 

Quote:
But the "turbo boost" doesn't have to be at the beginning does it? We could get a few PBEM turns in and then coordinate an evening of speed play via skype during the mid game when it's convenient?
Yes and no; the no is that the system can convert a game from Live to PBEM very easily, but unfortunately can't convert a PBEM game back to live.

The Yes is that you can sort of work around this by installing a browser extension like "ReloadEvery" that makes your browser refresh the map page every X seconds so that you can see other players moves. This isn't perfect but it does simulate something pretty simliar to playing Live.

(You could also just press reload every so often manually, but if God had wanted us to work He wouldn't have invented online gaming)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:59 pm 

Hiya, I just saw this post so 7:30 tonight is a bit hard! I could do 7:30 tomorrow and would be keen to do the turbo boost followed by the PBEM if that's the preference. I've only played the game once but it sounds like a fair number are in the same boat. I also own the game (still in shrink wrap boo!) so can brush up on the rules a bit. It looks like there's a fair list already but keep me in mind! Would this be like a 1-2 hr turbo session?

Thanks,

Joel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Bust open that shrink wrap Joel - you won't be disappointed. It's aces.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:15 pm 

The hard part is getting the time and finding 4 or 5 others also free! This whole forum thing is a great way to organise! I did manage to play it once with some great guys from KRAGS!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:22 pm 

I'm always down for a session of the board game if you're doing one :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 pm 

If you get 5 experienced for tomorrow I'd be keen to bow out and watch instead. 1 full game played 6 months ago does not an experienced player make!