It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:57 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:49 am 

Quote:
Mal - You're a victim of your own success. Try to be more human and bollocks it up more often. Your Day 2 vs Drsn0 for example. Let's see more of that :P See Aza for tips on how to decrease your strike rate :lol:
That's what I'd do.

Good game I had fun.

Glad you guys lynched swirly. He was one of my picks early on and he's a jerk :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:57 am 

Can we get a full list of who did what? There was a ton of powers flying around :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:36 am 

Good game. Hat what would I have got if I evolved?

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am 

Good game, Hat. Lot's of fun and twists and turns along the way.

Before commenting on the game, it's worth saying that I recently took over a PHPBB powered site (the same software that runs Westgamer). Moderators cannot read user email. Email is kept private, see http://www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/userguide.htm for more detail.
(About the only ability Mods have that might be relevant is they can see users online who are otherwise in hidden mod, but Mal has already said that in the past.)

So please drop it, and let's move on. If anything Luke should take the speculation as a compliment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 am 

Quote:
Can we get a full list of who did what? There was a ton of powers flying around :)
I'll see if I can add the remainder in to my tracker spreadsheet, since I got most already. Here's what it looked like in the good old days, back when Blind Witness, Swirly and Disembodied Head were still alive.

An amusing bit of prescience from Lettuce in his 2nd post in their Quicktopic :D
Quote:
notsosensuallettuce
I'm not 100% on taking out mal on night one I tend to think msl is a better target because his mafia spreadsheet can really need you when your playing against it.
I think we could push for the whole if mal isn't dead by day 2 or 3 he's mafia trick. There's a few guys playing that we could easily convince of this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:07 am 

Spreadsheets is cheating ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Admin

I'm still seething about this.

You guys need to realise a few things. Firstly - a huge part of the reason why I'm so consistent with picking behaviour is that I spend each day on these forums READING EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS. I also know most of you in real life and have done so for quite some time. I have a good memory and I'm a pretty good at picking up on behavioural trends in general, so these factors give me a considerable advantage compared to your average punter.

Here's an example from the recent War in the Pacific game where I was able to take on the guise of Disembodied Head in the quicktopic forum and anticipate AHEAD OF TIME what his actions were likely to be in order to maintain the charade. In DH's own words:
Quote:
It is scary to see how much of an open book my play is to Mal. He even predicted my actions bang on.
Part of my game strategy is also playing the mod as well as the players. When I know the person who is running the game quite well (such as in this case) I am much more easily able to anticipate the level of balance that would be built into the role dispositions and how strongly that person is likely to have built a game according to theme. This means that if something looks out of place (such as a player claiming no special abilities in a theme that revolves around monsters with special abilities) then I know it looks suss.

I believe there are two key skill areas in doing well at forum mafia. Knowing where to look and who to lynch is only half of the battle. Being able to convince the players around you that a particular course of action is the correct one is the other challenge - and is often a lot more difficult, even for me. A LOT of the time the lynches I stir up are complete smoke & mirrors. The trick is to make a lynch train look like it's chugging down the track and everyone should therefore get on board - even when in reality it's barely left the station. I often see behaviour that convinces me that someone is lying, but in a way that I could never convince others to agree (because they may not have the same insight), so what do I do? I make stuff up of course. Once committed to a course of action, I can't really falter in the attack (even if I'm still unsure) because to do so would sew doubt in the town voters and allow the mafia to capitalise. It's a pretty solid strategy.

I don't read your PMs. I would NEVER do something like that for a game. The fun is in the puzzle - doing that would not only be incredibly dishonest, but it would completely defeat the purpose of playing in the first place.

So that you guys know - there is no option in the BB software that runs the forum to read PMs anyway (phpBB3 is open source software - feel free to look it up and you can read the user's guide for yourself), so the only that someone could see what is in a PM would be to find the entry amongst thousands upon thousands of lines of encripted code, and even then you'd need to know exactly what you're looking for. Some of you seem to think that myself or the mods have the option to just log in and look behind the curtain in your user accounts. We don't.
Quote:
There is no way that lynch on orange goes through if anyone else suggested it.
Look back at the activity that day. The lynch against Orange that I kickstarted had exactly ZERO momentum behind it (Brayo and I were the only voters, and Brayo was clearly on board due to being backed into a corner himself, and not necessarily because he thought Orange was actually guilty) until Russia jumped on as well.
Quote:
Having the herd sheperded to victory is boring.
What's more boring is adopting a playstyle where keeping under the radar is all that anyone does. You can clearly see the change in momentum where all the vocal players in a game are taken out - it becomes a complete snorefest. I don't enjoy playing like that, so I refuse to.

The thing that grates on me is that a couple of people here have assumed the worst without considering the above. I play well, therefore I must be a cheat! All I see is a couple of sore losers who instead of reflecting on their own faults instead see fit to slander me in a place where I can't defend myself.

And that - is lower than low.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:08 am 

Quote:
The thing that grates on me is that a couple of people here have assumed the worst without considering the above. I play well, therefore I must be a cheat! All I see is a couple of sore losers who instead of reflecting on their own faults instead see fit to slander me in a place where I can't defend myself.

And that - is lower than low.
No its that you play miles ahead of everyone else and have a massive power that no one else does.
You are a smart man I fail to see how you didnt expect someone to raise this question.
I don't think you cheat, seriously what would be the point?
I seriously dont see why it bothers you so much. It is seriously a given that someone would think that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:10 am 

I'm not going to get into a public debate about what was a private conversation (and should have stayed that way). If you wan to talk about it Luke I'm happy to next time I see you.

But anyway, thanks Hat for running it, and well done town!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:30 am 

It was a very complicated game to run.
Credit to Malignant for his bounty hunter game because THAT was more complicated than this one.

The biggest issue was one already mentioned; i had designed custom powers for a number of players and had not accounted for them being used in an investigative manner. I'll give you an example.

Wyldcarde was Articuno

his power was ice Beam - Target player cannot vote next day and may only post 3 times.

Pretty strong in my opinion to fit a legendary.

Objective: Ice Ice Baby: Freeze 2 unevolved pokemon

This enabled Wyld to determine who was NOT evolved and subsequently lying. He could target players and depending on whether he received his reward he would know if they were unevolved pokemon.

He wasn't the only one. thatnicguy, OSOI, Malignant, Blindwitness, advanceop, and i think even a few more had the same benefit...

I had not considered this for game balance purposes..... :S

I also made a few administrative slip ups that weren't as major but i must apologise to those players it affected.

If i'm being completely honest Wyld should have received his rare candy and swirly should have evolved into Wheezing but both would have happened on the last day so wouldnt have affected much. I apologise.

OSOI - you just targeted ALL the wrong players or got blocked! which is a shame because had you become Blastoise you would have gained Hydro pump (doublevoter)

One other interesting fact is DH the vote thief never used his ability!

Post subject: Pokemafia! Town Victory!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:46 am 

I deleted the quicktopic link, though it's probably too late for that.

I'm sorry if I was wrong to post it and if any undue stress was caused to anyone, it was not my intention.
This is just a game after all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 am 

Morgs to be fair with my power it only caught out people trying to lie. And the way I presented my original findings had a big part to play in that. My info was sketchy at best (4 people targeted, at least 3 must be evolved) but as you said in the mafia channel you were unsure what discrepancy I found and thought I knew more than I did.

Your original answer just made me believe you has evolved. Then you blinked first and admitted you werent geodude and it was all downhill from there.

Then blindwitness just outright lied about evolving and put himself into a shoot out with Osoi. Luckily nic took care of that.

If he had just said "I have evolved" and made up a plausible story it would have been useless.

So while mine was a little investigative it needed a lot of work to be so.

Liams on the other hand was probably a bit overpowered :P

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 am 

yep...more braindead play on my behalf when OSOI revealed, I thought I was in the clear and probably paniced a smidge. I knew OSOI had been roleblocked (twice I think at that point! ) but somehow that escaped me at the time as a plausible excuse for his results when Sensual was already on the table as roleblocker! I should have deflected OSOI but I had such a good tall tale ready to tell. I hope y'all enjoyed it!

Hat - Big of you to admit unanticipated interactions occured. The usual crew of mafia players are beardier than a dwarven family photo so it would be tough going to consider every possibility :lol:

On the quick-topic linking. I do think it's not a great idea. Not for the reason that has blown up today but more for the insights of how different players think through the game that could make playing future games more difficult for them. The mafia threads have a lot more transparent reasoning and thought process in them and also detail bluffs and gambits that players attempt through the course of the game.

I readily admit I had quite a detailed post attacking MSL "appearing as town" that relied heavily on quotes from the action hero mafia quicktopic. If I hadn't kept being under fire myself it could have gained traction as some town players had already indicated they were open to that line of thought.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:20 am 

Which player is liam?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:28 am 

OSOI

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62 Next