[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Action hero mafia - Game over! Mafia and survivor win. - Page 44 - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:53 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 661 posts ]  Go to page Previous 141 42 43 44 45 Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:59 pm 

Whooo Hoooooo!!!

It may not look like it from the outside but that was the hardest game of Mafia I've ever played. I should probably start with apologies to members of the opposite team, especially James who gave me goodies and Massaen who was so helpful, so sorry about that :D

It could have gone either way at any time, right down to the final day.

What wasn't common knowledge was that I had a private channel to Massean using a walkie talkie. I've seen so many people stuff that up and get themselves caught that I was simultaneously cautious and verbose in it. I had no choice but to use it because a townie had given it to me, and no choice but to set itup with Massaen or raise suspicion about why I'd communicate with a non-confirmed townie. It paid off in spades though.

So what made this game so hard?
We had two team members caught by powers - noone was caught by any other means than confirmed positive results.
We had THREE night kills bounce. That's got to be a record
We had a Lynch kill fail (because of govenor, apparently). Keep in mind, four kills is the equivalent of the whole mafia team.

But after all that, including me being caught giving ninja gear to Drsno twice, by the end we didn't even need Drsn0 to vote in any of the final votes; town was so thoroughly convinced.

Good game. Tense, but very good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:01 pm 

*shrug*

I survived the game this time at least. I think matt did a stellar job. On more than one occasion I considered putting it out there but between everything in the real world going on I missed a couple of sighs and simply chose to ignore others.

Either way, well played! How frustrating for the mafia was it for me to not just die?! :mrgreen:

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Either way, well played! How frustrating for the mafia was it for me to not just die?! :mrgreen:
The most frustrating part about it was that the rest of the team ignored my advice to not attempt killing you twice and lost 2 nights worth of kills in the process. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:10 pm 

I did try a fake out with my doc power, claiming to have saved someone when I targeted another (turns out I guessed right) but no one took the bait.

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:11 pm 

Quote:
*shrug*

I survived the game this time at least. I think matt did a stellar job. On more than one occasion I considered putting it out there but between everything in the real world going on I missed a couple of sighs and simply chose to ignore others.

The prevalence of this train of thought among the westgamer townsfolk continues to disturb and depress me.

Who the bloomin' heck had the car? I would have been bus driving if that had turned up in my garage. Definitely a cool role.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:12 pm 

Why does it bother you? I am pleased I got to see out the game, not die early. Why does that depress you?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:15 pm 

Because towns role is to eliminate mafia, not survive the game.

If you are vanilla town you SHOULD be dying for power roles!

I get what u are saying tho mass, but I get what dh is saying also.

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:19 pm 

And yes I have a lot to share! But I'm keen to see how it felt from the other side.

I've heard a bit from the Mafia, especially the merits of constant power v 1 shots

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:26 pm 

And for the record.

Drsno was Mafia roleblocker and John Travolta.
How could this guy NOT be a bad guy?

He also had nicholas cage as a fake rc (face/off anyone?) but decided not to use it and went with Stone cold steve austin instead.

Matt was Kurt Russell but mafia also.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Stone Cold was a very odd RC indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:38 pm 

For the game itself I wanted to do something semi role madness but without the usual suspects.

So I had no doc or cop and tried to make the game focused on the inventor, giving out items to make town players more power.
Town's big weapons were the inventor and archaeologist who could hopefully provide a steady stream of items to buff up town, as well as a tracker and jack of all trades.
Town also had a redirector who could protect himself, but if he redirected more than 2 powers or a kill in a night he would lose his power.
Once either the inventor or archaeologist died then a random player who did not perform an action would find an item every second night.

The items were all pretty generic and mostly just gave the same 1 shot power to each player. However certain players gained different powers from items, and certain items would unlock full powers in vanilla townies.

Also came up with a few item specific powers which I think actually worked out pretty balanced in the end.

The plan for the items was that town would start out quite weak but through a bit of teamwork, communication and good decision making could become quite powerful. Also it would reward bold mafia play of getting themselves on the possibly town list instead of just flying under the radar as they could potentially gain items, boosting their own abilities as well as denying the town abilities. They also had the added benefit of communication so they could ship the items around exactly where they needed to go, whereas town had to rely on guesswork and faith.

Luckily this played out pretty much spot on, with matt somehow just confirming himself as town and picking up a fair chunk of items from townies along the way.

I also just randomly assigned action heroes to the mafia team so there was no real need for fake rolecalls. Apart from Alan Rickman. And John Travolta cos it was in character.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:01 pm 

Great game wylde. Can now see why I survived till the end, I'd unknowingly allied with mafia. Hehehe

Had Matt pinned as mafia back Friday 21st in pm to wylde but other guess was Bruno. Not thieving anything from drsn0 first night made me assume he was vanilla.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:58 pm 

I was planning a win alongside you if at all possible Centurions, and discussed several variations and combinations that left you as a low priority target, so I'm happy we're sharing the win with a survivor. They usually get the short end of the stick.

One thing about how 'confirmed town' I was, I actually played a pretty town style game, paying attention to what people said and their possible motivations. The fact I practically drove so many lynches without making myself look suspicious must mean some townies were playing in a bit of a suspicious way themselves. Not mentioning any names (or if I mention a name it might be in the hobby thread lol).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:20 pm 

Thing that annoyed me the most was not listening to my instinct.

I thought I was playing a reasonable Town-looking Mafia role.
Then when it was my time to step up and kill a townie, MSL and Sn0 suggested Mass.
While I piping up to kill Bond... surely Bond had something good... right ?

Not going with my gut, had a kill bounce, and Bond... of all the players catch me out with an unsuccessful kill...

Matt worked pretty hard this game, and props to him, but the town just lacked the investment of time during the christmas break to put a few things together.

TheGambler#11893
Add me on Hearthstone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:29 am 

Quote:
Stone Cold was a very odd RC indeed.
Kicked myself over this one. Alarm bells were ringing straight away when he RC'd but then I convinced myself that there might be some sort of "The Expendables" sub theme going on and was shanked night two before I'd given it any more thought :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 661 posts ]  Go to page Previous 141 42 43 44 45 Next