It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:28 pm 

Lol nah I didn't save it and I didn't think I had a chance at all but it was all about how each day survived I unlocked a "trophy" kinda like leveling up. It was fun to write though.

That game was all Ross :) was great to watch get closer and closer to a win

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:31 pm 

Quote:
The system of letting the mafia ask questions about who is in the game rather than being handed fakes is definitely my favourite way of doing things, and I believe the most balanced.
It gives the mafia a chance of safe-fakes but they need to be smart about it. If they ask about major characters then odds are I'll return a "yes" and the question is wasted, while if they ask about an obscure character then odds are I'll return a "no" but the RC will stick out.
I like it, it's a good idea I might use myself in future. I only called it overly-generous because they had 3 chances to ask plus a fake supplied, and the doc and cop had none.

That means not only are the doc and cop at a disadvantage if they plan to also fake a claim, but also that if they play very smart the Mafia could generate 3 safe claims AND be told the one the doc or cop picks is not in the game, setting them up for an easy kill (or even a lynch vote).

They could even claim to be a town lie detector and confront the doc in thread, burning the doc and proving their own credentials. I'll add that to my tactic list lol :D

Fortunately the mafia in this game decided on a different way to exploit their role calls, and since it made it look so much like they didn't have any it actually paid off! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:38 pm 

Y'know i've skimmed back over the thread and aside from my RC I dont think I ever actually lied.

I just posed questions, expressed doubt or agreed that what someone said makes sense.

That wasn't even my tactic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:39 pm 

Quote:
Y'know i've skimmed back over the thread and aside from my RC I dont think I ever actually lied.

I just posed questions, expressed doubt or agreed that what someone said makes sense.

exactly why a genuine safe rc was probably OP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm 

Quote:
but also that if they play very smart the Mafia could generate 3 safe claims AND be told the one the doc or cop picks is not in the game, setting them up for an easy kill (or even a lynch vote).

They could even claim to be a town lie detector and confront the doc in thread, burning the doc and proving their own credentials. I'll add that to my tactic list lol :D
That would require that no small degree of luck on the part of the mafia. They would need to a) ask about a character that is not in the game b) not use the fake themselves and c) the lying townie must by coincidence choose the same fake as them. It is specified that the mafia could only ask about unclaimed characters to prevent things like this, they cannot use it to check the validity of other player's claims post-hoc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:06 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Genuine safe RC's are most certainly not OP, they are a common staple in nearly every mafia game I've played in. They are normally limited in number i.e. 2 safes for 4 mafia or the mafia must play smart to get them all i.e. the chance of 3 fakes for 3 mafia.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm 

Yeah, safe fakes are totally the way to go.

I think something like 3 safes per 6-7 mafia is the way to go. That way the first few mafia can avoid what happened in this game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:12 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Genuine safe RC's are most certainly not OP, they are a common staple in nearly every mafia game I've played in. They are normally limited in number i.e. 2 safes for 4 mafia or the mafia must play smart to get them all i.e. the chance of 3 fakes for 3 mafia.
the three fakes they had to guess for was perfect. Sounds like that would've added a whole extra amount of enjoyment for the mafia. I just think the results of the guaranteed one that Ross took speaks for itself. It was so safe that he wasn't on a single persons radar all game. Ross played really well though; I'm not saying it was all the rc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:15 pm 

@Matt: On the point about the doc and cop not being given safes, anyone who knows enough about Mass Effect to predict that Garrus would be a cop would also know enough to suspect he could be a vigilante (he becomes a vigilante known as Archangel), and to suspect power roles for many of the other characters that turned out vanilla (like Thane or Tali).

I was certainly tossing up whether or not to make the powers tie so obviously into the characters, and decided I preferred it for the sake of theme.

It's also a different dynamic in a mini game to a full. With such a small number of players the power of a cop increases hugely and I've gone on record stating that I prefer games where powers play a subtler role. I made the doctor methodical for this reason, to stop him being able to protect the cop.

If I re-ran the game I might not give the mafia the solid safe of Jack, but who knows, blindwitness might have been lynched night 3 in that case and the game would have been far more dull.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:16 pm 

It wasn't his fake claim that got him the win, I should have have subjected him to the same interrogation as everyone else. Instead he got a free pass with his 'Tra-la-la I'm just a noob, everyone sounds smart, how can I help' posts :D
And the moment I finally started taking a serious look at him, someone else shot up as a suspect.

He played well, was very lucky, and benefitted from us all thinking there was no way the other 2 stooges could possibly have been given a fake claim.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:22 pm 

Quote:
@Matt: On the point about the doc and cop not being given safes, anyone who knows enough about Mass Effect to predict that Garrus would be a cop would also know enough to suspect he could be a vigilante (he becomes a vigilante known as Archangel), and to suspect power roles for many of the other characters that turned out vanilla (like Thane or Tali).
I was certainly tossing up whether or not to make the powers tie so obviously into the characters, and decided I preferred it for the sake of theme.
Fair enough, I was just looking at it from the point of view that if we are going to run such strong Themed games -- which are all the rage on Westgamer -- and give out fake claims to mafia players, the next step in Evolution might be to give a fake claim to one of the townies if their own real character would get them into hot water. That's not a comment on this specific game, which was Town's for the taking.

The next step would be to give Malignant 2 fake claims, so he isn't sure if he is lying about his character or not.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:58 pm 

Maybe I'm just biased because I'm always town. Just like everybody else, right? :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 24