[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Doctor Who Mafia - Day 8 - Page 61 - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:30 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 954 posts ]  Go to page Previous 159 60 61 62 63 64 Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:16 pm 

Mafia is defiantly more fun from the mafia side of things.

And damn it felt good to knock thatnicguy off :) revenge is sweet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:23 pm 

Quote:
Yeah I was pretty cutt throat about that but I put myself into the peoples shoes. We do have deadlines for a reason and this one was 11am. The first post itself was smack on 11am and stopped my post to say no talking going through.

Sorry to those that it has upset, but I can hinestly say i would expect the same treatment for me. I believe that if there is a deadline set by a mod and he hasn't closed the thread, any votes after that cut off shouldn't be included. We should be able to talk and try and get further info, but the lynch deadline has passed. Just my opinion and not necessary the correct one but it's how i ran it.
Refreshed the page so many times in that final hour. There was so much time to vote to leave untill just past the deadline blew my mind.

Too little too late.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:30 pm 

Excruciating to watch from the sidelines. Had done pretty well for to days in the game. Had Mal fingered and investigated Obi for a useless guilty result :cry:

Believing Mal...you got what you deserved

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

I think I'm going to have to tell the truth in the next game.

You know - to REALLY screw with everyone. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:43 pm 

Quote:
I think I'm going to have to tell the truth in the next game.

You know - to REALLY screw with everyone. ;)
this is a lie has to be, also Mal didn't get caught up in his lies claiming bus driver when I investigated him which would shown him doing something ie bus driver or power like he said he had in the lie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:51 pm 

drats - my laptops time is 1 min behind westgamers time - rushed the vote at the last second and botched it (slow internet doesnt help i posted this and pc thought about it for 15 secs before showing me 2 other posts had just gone thru) - shouldnt have included a note that unbolded vote post - when i saw it was thru at 11.01 i thought that i'd missed out -

i shouldnt have waited that late - i was hoping mal would offer up bloodlust or lettuce and i would have jumped on the vote (especially bloodlust who i'd been after since day 2) but then i doubt there would have been enough players to successfully lynch him

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Don't feel too bad Darthproph - other Town players were in the same failboat as you the day before, which led up to that point.

The Cybermen and I would have actually won outright the previous night (when there were no kills), but we made the critical error of sending in the ninja (Sensual) instead of the strongman (Bloodlust), not knowing that Russia was a Doc and would be protecting Polar. We should have considered such a possibility though, so that was a massive fail on our part and nearly cost us the game from a virtually unlosable position.

Such is the perils of mafia! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:15 pm 

Dude there was like a bees dick in it. When Russia protected polar we were in massive damag control

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:26 pm 

i dont feel bad about it - but next time i say bloodlust is mafia - listen and vote people :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:29 pm 

thou i should have stuck to my guns with bloodlust vote day 3 instead of swapping to drsn0 as i thought it would get more people on the lynch train and then if right re-direct back to bloodlust

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:00 pm 

I told you guys he wasn't town, but noooo. =p

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

So just a bit more commentary on this game from where I was sitting...

To set the scene, some of you may remember this post from me on page 14 of this game thread, saying something about how I was playing this game compared to the last one (Infinity mafia):
Quote:
Last game I played in a much more reserved style than my usual balls-to-the-wall, aggressive mafia hunting style. And yes, last game I WAS a serial killer. But you know what? It made NO difference to this, and I would have played exactly the same way even if I was vanilla town.

Why? Well, mostly because of the long term metagame in WestGamer mafia that has really now come to the fore (and has allowed me to catch out quite a few people in recent times during games). Unfortunately over the course of the last half dozen games I've painted myself as a massive target for both Mafia AND Town, entirely dependant upon whether I'm able to galvanise a successful lynch on the first day or two.

The problem that I've created for myself here is the standard set by this, and therefore the level of expectation of other players. Put simply - if I hit mafia in the first day or so, Mafia consider me too big a threat and I'm almost guaranteed to get killed early overnight. If I don't manage to hit mafia - the town are instantly suspicious that I am mafia, and I get the rope early.

Last game I tried to walk the middle line (where I look sus enough to town that I'm not a huge risk to mafia, but not too sus, otherwise the town will lynch me), because I saw it as the best way to survive - serial killer or not. Unfortunately it failed utterly and I was killed in like - night 2.
So this game really was no different. As the Master, I knew I needed to walk a fine line between demonstrating my continued value and lack of risk to the town (to avoid being lynched at day), and at the same time demonstrating my continued value and lack of risk to both mafia groups (to avoid being killed at night). This was a MASSIVE challenge and meant that I was going to be walking a tightrope all game as I had to survive for long enough to achieve one of my primary objectives.

As soon as the nature of the Doctor became clear in this game, I realised that meant I was going to need to stay alive for at least 6 days or more. One wrong move and I would be living on borrowed time.

Day 1 was an interesting one. I actually DID think that Disembodied Head was mafia, and my whole play there was to try and kill him to get town on side as fast as possible, but then in the same action implicate someone else who I thought was town to try and keep the mafia off me (thinking that killing me was a bad idea if I was about to do their work for them). This backfired somewhat due to me not being on the ball and leaving the lynch effort to too late in the day, so nothing happened and that put me on the back foot a bit and led to mounting town suspicion that I was stalling (not my intent at all). Day 2 was going to need some damage control...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

At the commencement of day #2, I was informed by Centurions that Russia had attempted to target me at night with a power of some sort and that as a result I had captured him. This left him in my custody until either I died, or he had a 10% chance of escape. Believe it or not - this was disasterous news for me. It basically meant that Russia KNEW that the player he had targeted (ie: me) was the Master, and effectively put me on a sitting time bomb, and I had no idea when it was going to explode in my face.

It was around this time that I knew I was going to have to plan a "long con". Essentially laying the groundwork early for a massive web of lies that I could use later in the game to explain my actions if and when Russia reappeared. I had a few ideas about how to achieve this (one of which was to throw doubt onto Russia's disappearance early to leave open the idea that he was in fact the Master himself), but it wasn't until the next game morning that I ultimately decided what my plan "B" details were going to be. More on that shortly.

So, day #2 was a disaster for me. The early suspicion that I was stalling the day 1 lynch (a false assumption) was no doubt helped along by the mafia players who saw an opportunity to get rid of me without getting their hands too dirty. This was also a crazy busy day for me at work, so I was offline for most of it only to log on later in the day and find out that I was already being strung up in the hangman's noose. This would effectively remove my best weapon in achieving my objective (the regen save) VERY early in the game and making things very hard from that point onwards. I was down, but not out.

That night after the lynch failed, one of the mafia groups (it turns out it was the Cybermen - they revealed this to me later) attempted to off me, but luckily my regeneration was still in effect - so I survived and was notified of the attempt. This was actually awesome news for me, and gave me the opportunity to build fear in both the town AND the mafia from that point on that I was still protected/packing saves - hence making me too risky a target for them unless they wanted to lose a day. (This is the "illusions of grandeur" strategy I referred to earlier.) It was by no means a guarantee (This play actually failed for me in the previous Video game mafia where I attempted to RC "Bomberman" to lead the mafia into thinking I was a bomb), but was likely to be enough at least to lead any of my threats into thinking twice before attacking. A play - as it turns out - that ended up being instrumental in my overall long term survivability in this game. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:16 pm 

I think what people may be missing was that the Cybermen were strong right throughout. When Mal joined us it actually caused a lot of problems and didn't actually "help" us in any way. Truth be told he threatened to expose the whole team if he didn't get his way and we killed who he wanted - an issue that caused a considerable biffo.

The most votes any cybermen ever had on him was two (me on day two) - that's it. We were in a very strong position and even if you had knocked off the Master in the last day I'm very certain that we still would have won, easily.

Mal's great reveal, that ended up flipping the town for-certain lynch to Obi was completely unneeded.

Just for refence by the way, after you lynched Mal, we Cybermen stuck the knife in as well and were quite happy to keep killing him but the mod told us we couldn't because he wasn't part of our team. I'm also 100% certain that if he had not joined the Cybermen then I would have had him swinging the very next day after the failed lynch because his story was so pitifully paper thin and I'd called him as the Master very early on. Was kinda disappointing when he joined us lol.

I didn't even get to use my secret weapon post :( lol

So, whilst you're busy congratulating Mal on his victory, just remember he rode in on the coat-tails of the Cybermen for without us he would have been dead day 3 and with no killing power himself, he was essentially dead-weight to our team who took a very straight-forward killing process that was going super-well into some convoluted, confusing heap of horse (censored) that people ate up. I was honestly amazed at how much you guys swallowed of the weakest justifications I've EVER seen in a Mafia game - it was pathetic folks, honestly.

Guys, STOP following like blind sheep! It is ruining the game. Hell I even posted a youtube video of a sheep baying (did anyone bother to check it?) when you were all following what he said. This game is going to be broken until the players wise up and start thinking for themselves or those involved realise the impact they are having and sit some out.

So, in short - congrats Sensual_Lettuce, we had a great game, despite exposing threats from dead weight :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

At the commencement of day #3, Disembodied Head showed up dead which was both really good and really bad for me. Really good because he flipped as the Doctor, which basically put me on the first real step towards achieving my win condition. Really bad because I had gone after DH pretty hard early on, and him flipping as the Doctor made me look massively sus to the town. Given that I had just been lynched as well, I needed to do some fast talking or I would be headed straight back to the gallows FAST.

I made 2 critical decisions at this point.

Firstly - I knew I needed some help, so it was time to activate my option of joining one of the mafia groups. I needed to have my hands on the night kill in order to target any regenerating or entering doctors, and the key was to not waste my 1x ninja early. This would be needed for the final strike. In hindsight I perhaps should have done this earlier, but I was waiting to see if any mafia went down in the first couple of days so that I could use this info to determine which group (between the Cybermen and the Darleks) I would actually join. If a Darlek died and reduced their group by a player, I would join the Cybermen and so on. In this case neither had taken a hit yet, so I just had to flip a coin. The flip came up Cybermen, so off I went to walk into their gathering and discovered Bloodlust and Sensual_Lettuce operating there.

Secondly - I needed to firm up my "plan B" contingency for Russia's reappearance. There was only one real chance I had of fooling Russia himself into thinking that I was not the Master (given that he had targeted me when he was informed that the Master had captured him), and that was to make him believe that the target he went for was manipulated and led somewhere else. Really only 1 power I know of that can explain that effectively, and it was Bus Driver (with an option for self targeting). This led to another problem. I had already revealed that I had saves to both the town and mafia, and planned to keep the charade that I had more going for as long as possible to avoid being hit again. But I had to consider - when it came to Role Claims, who the hell in the Dr Who universe would actually have both saves of some sort AND the ability to Bus drive?? I could only think of one thing:
Yup, this was going to be a tough sell. ;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 954 posts ]  Go to page Previous 159 60 61 62 63 64 Next