It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:02 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1137 138 139 140 141 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:11 am 

Quote:
In case no-one's picked up on it yet, the key theme I tried to create with this game was the idea of how Marvel heroes with the ability to work as a team (hence, why I made them the mafia side) were certainly a match for a much larger group of villians - unless the villians could actually get it together and work in unison instead of pursuing their own separate agendas (as they often tend to do).
I realised that in the first couple of hours of the game and later tried to convince people of it.
Quote:
Quote:I believe there is a large amount of 'factions' mostly to cause paranoia

It was definitely done on purpose. For example Mutants can win alongside Town, but there is no way that Malignant would let all these 'Evil' characters work together in perfect harmony, so instead of a large Town he has fragmented the town-friendly groups.
The key is still the usual one: Find and Eliminate the Mafia.
It was an interesting twist.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:16 am 

Yeah I thought I might have a chance to come back, hence why I told you that gambit... Sorry ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:19 am 

Stan Lee was an awesome pick!

I totally misread the intent of my letter. Was it even supposed to be a clue?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:27 am 

Quote:
So what did you all think of my character pick for the Godfather? :mrgreen:

The guy just loves to cameo in everything. ;)

Incidentally - Mr Lee was the only character who didn't get one of the letters - because it was him who wrote them! :P

When the letter talk started I was like WHAT then it started in the mafia emails and I was sitting all alone going im the only guy with no letter im doomed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Yep, the letters were fairly simple and could be used successfully in one of 2 ways.

Open your own letter on the correct day (as per the number):
Mafia player - gets basic information about a random character
Non-mafia player - gets basic information about a mafia character

Open someone else's letter on the correct day (as per the number):
All players - get detailed information about the character the letter originated from, and their powers (but not alignment)

Anything else - poof! Letter bursts into flames. I think about 75% of them were wasted in this way, which was actually a few more than I expected. ;)

The reasons why I introduced the letters was twofold. Firstly, I wanted players to have something to kick-start the game and actually have some form of info to work with from day #1. The letters went from day #1 - #5 to continue this and provide a bit of a spicy variable and get you all thinking. Second reason - I just wanted to mess with your heads. ;)

So, I'm keen to hear what you all thought of this particular mechanic? I may use something similar (like a "clue drop") again at some point...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:34 am 

The letter mechanic was interesting.

I was a bit miffed that I waited 5 days to get a picture of Cap. America though :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 am 

Quote:
So, I'm keen to hear what you all thought of this particular mechanic? I may use something similar (like a "clue drop") again at some point...
I liked it. The most use I got from it was that I was able to use one to ping brooksey and let him know that I had his back, using the fact we had an object we could send as a primitive form of communication.
As I mentioned to you before the game started it was likely to contain information about my own character I may not want to have transmitted, so considering large risk vs small reward I don't regret having opened and burned my own letter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:58 am 

The letters were brilliant, I love those little twists that don't change the mechanics but make things interesting.

And Stan Lee was an awesome and hilarious choice for Godfather!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:33 pm 

To be honest - as much as I liked this game - the odds always seem to be stacked in favour of the mafia. Especially after seeing everyone's powers and the pretty much UN-kill-able godfather.

Even with everyone having powers I think looking at it now a Mafia win was going to happen regardless unless the town/mutants got very lucky.

Stan Lee was an awesome choice as godfather but to be honest as I stated before too overpowered, even for this type of game. I mean effectively you had to kill him 4 times for him to die.

To much advantage to the mafia I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:52 pm 

Quote:
To be honest - as much as I liked this game - the odds always seem to be stacked in favour of the mafia. Especially after seeing everyone's powers and the pretty much UN-kill-able godfather.

Even with everyone having powers I think looking at it now a Mafia win was going to happen regardless unless the town/mutants got very lucky.

Stan Lee was an awesome choice as godfather but to be honest as I stated before too overpowered, even for this type of game. I mean effectively you had to kill him 4 times for him to die.

unless mafia killed the deathproof enabler.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:59 pm 

Quote:

I'll just remind you that on day 3/night 3 (or somewhere around there) we had two mafia killed during the day, and then one the following night, then another the next day... So from pretty much day 4 onwards it was just me, DJCodex and thatnicguy (who we didn't know about).The game could very easily have ended much earlier than it did, if people saw through my very weak role claim or DJ codex got shived like eckythump did.
The main thing that helped us mafia win was how divided the town/3rd party was, everyone was firing of accusations at everyone else, DJcodex and I joked that if we both just logged off for a week, and then logged back on, we would be the only ones left :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

Completely disagree.

You had to kill ALL of the mafia to win. One of them was a Deathproof Enabler (Captain America). (There was a town Deathproof Enabler as well, giving double the chance here.)

All this means is that you had to off him before the godfather, or the alternate road was much harder. With the amount of abilities the town had in this game they always had a massive advantage - but only if they learned to work together!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:21 pm 

Quote:
I'll just remind you that on day 3/night 3 (or somewhere around there) we had two mafia killed during the day, and then one the following night, then another the next day... So from pretty much day 4 onwards it was just me, DJCodex and thatnicguy (who we didn't know about).The game could very easily have ended much earlier than it did, if people saw through my very weak role claim or DJ codex got shived like eckythump did.
The main thing that helped us mafia win was how divided the town/3rd party was, everyone was firing of accusations at everyone else, DJcodex and I joked that if we both just logged off for a week, and then logged back on, we would be the only ones left :lol:
Yeah, at this point I thought is was pretty much over for the mafia. Plus with DJ's rolecall of Ghost Rider (why you picked a character that had a movie and is therefore thought of as a "good guy" I'll never know :P

In the end it was the town and 3rd party squabbling that got us over the line, helped along by DJ and nic at opportune moments of course.

Very fun game Luke, even when watching from the sidelines. DJ's ability to seem mad in email form is impressive! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:27 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Completely disagree.

You had to kill ALL of the mafia to win. One of them was a Deathproof Enabler (Captain America). (There was a town Deathproof Enabler as well, giving double the chance here.)

All this means is that you had to off him before the godfather, or the alternate road was much harder. With the amount of abilities the town had in this game they always had a massive advantage - but only if they learned to work together!
Not sure if you understand the psyche of the supervillian too well or not enough :p

A lynch or a daykill on DJ would have been golden! Or at least Drsn0 taking his dive much earlier in the game!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:41 pm 

Love the Stan Lee character, I'm glad he didn't have to kill off any of his creations though, that would have been tragic.

I could have been hit at any time during the day, I also didn't know I was Mafia Deathproof Enabler, it was always my plan to be a little suspicious and take a few Townies down with me. We also had no idea what if any powers our Godfather had, if our plans matched his or if we were working effectively against him. While he had control over who the final choice of hit target was, he had no control over the rest of our powers. I had a sinking feeling several times we were working completely toward the wrong objective and Roleblocking the Godfather.
I think from day 3 or 4 I no longer had my Redirector, after The Hat died did I became the hitman and it was only through A LOT OF LUCK that I wasn't seen doing anything untoward :twisted:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1137 138 139 140 141 Next