[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
MORDOR - Day 6 HOBBIT MAFIA VICTORY! - Page 21 - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:37 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:03 pm 

A bit disappointed Rathnard just jumped straight into it with a vote as town. On a guaranteed loss if you are wrong it is a hell of a gamble.

I voted impulsively on Massaen though the previous day, so I am as much to blame. I was hoping to see who jumped on board but it was unfortunately Charlie.

Well played Onyx :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:04 pm 

Hooray, :D even if I really didn't help the team much by incriminating Nurgle :oops: .

I kid you not though, I couldn't belive that Wyldecard had investigated me. We (as Mafia) knew that he was the Cop so we really tried to keep him quiet so we could ping him off that night! Then he had to not only reveal himself, but he even investigated me as well! Aaaarrgh :shock:

Good going Steve, not bad for a beginner I'll say :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06 pm 

considering there were 3 possible scum and we had only 2 lynchs we made a mistake but insight considering the evidence they were tough desicions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 pm 

Very well played steve after Nurgle's death it was not looking good for you than you sneaky hobbit stabbed your way to victory

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:22 pm 

In honesty after your post on vesh and James, brooksey I wanted to clear u as town. Needless to say I was shocked to find u mafia. Then incriminating nurgle and clearing Charlie helped. I was umming and ahhing about revealing, holding out for one more investigation but I decided it was not worth the risk. Thankfully so it seemed.
Nailing our tracker with the first kill out of the blue helped u guys tho, and I'm assuming I was rolecopped the night 1.

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:24 pm 

Quote:
It came down to what was more likely, a ninja onyx or a godfather disembodied head.
True - and Onyx had actually looked more innocent. Here's the details of the game's set up from behind the scenes.

MAFIA:
Ninja, Role Cop, Odd Compulsory Killer / Even Compulsory Commuter (this is a negative utility role)
If Frodo dies, the last hobbit gets the ring (ninja)

TOWN:
Cop, Tracker, Bodyguard, Back-up (has no power but takes first power role)
Two townies who need their rival dead to win (this is a negative utility role)
Three other vanilla Townies
(Starts with 3 power roles, 6 vanilla roles)

As this was designed for beginners, some advice I saw on Mafiascum was not to have too many roleblocking abilities (which believe it or not, Doc and Godfather count as). Instead of the godfather the ringbearer might be expected to have, he got Ninja so that the Cop could be searching for him with the help of the Eye of Sauron.

As there was no Doc, the bodyguard replaced him as a protective role - a sacrificial one, but fits the theme.

The Back-up was recommended for smaller games, because they stop the game getting over-stuffed with power roles but also help prevent a huge swing in the outcome if a power role is killed early.

The biggest surprise early in the game was Rathnard and Vesh going straight for each other's throats! I'd expected one of the rivals to keep it quiet, orchestrate a lynch and then explain afterwards. Instead, they had some hilarious fights in the thread, but the unexpected outcome was they were as good -- BETTER -- at confirming each other as Mordor than Masons would have been! Not quite the 'negative utility' intended, but it was extremely entertaining. The best quote of the game was probably this, towards the end of a raging argument about a lynching
Quote:
Quote:
Silence = working on a very important pitch to client all day (real life :roll: )
Uh huh, and what's that's client's name, Huh? Could it be...

GANDALF????! :mrgreen:
There was some good play all round, but Wyldcard played an excellent game as a cop. He was never going to live forever but timed his revelations late in the day extremely well - not only netting Brookesy, but causing Nurgle to get caught in the wake.

Onyx showed great instinct in this game, picking the right people to use role cop powers on and killing them in the right order. It was a stroke of luck that only minutes after he'd received the ring as the last hobbit and become a Ninja, Charlie decided to investigate him and immediately announce him as confirmed town.

Very very close game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm 

:mrgreen:
Cheers fellas and BIG thanks to Brookesy and Nurgle for their advice!

What great fun.
Yeah, we had a good start with role cop search on Wyldcarde the first night and killing drsno on a guess (he'd been quiet and we were suss of that).

Then Rathnard inadvertently forced Wyldcarde to give up his secret power...
I did play a little dumb but this was a steep learning curve.
We wanted to keep Vesh and Rathnard alive in the hope that their interplay would distract town.

We went straight for Scotty on the night of his lynch. There was a bit of doubt about whether he was a doc or something else. This left the way open for me to kill Wyldcarde with my new found ninja skills (after Nurgle was lynched). Perfect timing as charlie follows me that night.

I was all set to push for a Rathnard lynch on the final day but he pretty much gave me an early Christmas present with the Disembodied Head lynch...

Great game!
Thanks Matt for all the hard work running the show.

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:33 pm 

For a first timer u played well steve. I was reading it leading up to my death and after my death and found myself thinking a few times, "wow onyx is quite or not really contributing, I hope he is enjoying himself...
Turns out you were having a great time!

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:41 pm 

Can I ask what purpose Gollum commuting serves? Not sure how that all ties together?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:43 pm 

Theme? Did the town have a vigilante? Also means on even nights he cannot be investigated by cops etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:46 pm 

Can't be investigated even nights. That would be it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:21 pm 

Quote:
Can I ask what purpose Gollum commuting serves? Not sure how that all ties together?
Here's his role:
Quote:
Nurgle - Smeagol/Gollum (Hobbit Mafia)
GOLLUM - On odd nights while the hobbits are alive, you are driven in rage to make your team's kill. Odd night compulsory killer
SMEAGOL - On even nights while the hobbits are alive, you leave the camp to catch fishies for the nice hobbitses. Even night compulsory commuter
It is not a positive role, since while Commuting might keep a mafia player away from an investigation, he can't control when it happens and being a compulsory killer the other night when the Mafia would probably rather use their Ninja Hobbit is another downside.

It was mainly for theme to to represent his skitsophrenic character, and the Hobbit team were compensated by the town having two Themed characters with similar negative utilities attached (Shagrat vs Gorbag).

In addtion there was the negative that everyone wouldn't trust Gollum and could expect him to be a usurper, which they did even before the game started. They were even considering not letting him read the mafia emails!
It was tempting to make him one, but Usurper didn't seem appropriate in a beginner game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:04 pm 

Well, that was fun. :mrgreen:

When I got rolecalled so early I knew I'd have no choice but to be honest and call Gorbag. The risk in lying was too high at that point so I thought I'd at least get an idea of who my rival was according to who tries to lynch me. Then when Vesh delayed his rolecall I correctly figured he must have been either mafia or my rival, and either way I would want him lynched. That said, I was probably too hasty in calling a lynch on him - I suspect it made him more likely to reveal Shagrat and his/our win condition, after which it was going to be pretty difficult to get either of us Lynched. I tried, oh god, how I tried, but like I said before, once Vesh and I were in the open it was a foregone conclusion.

Of course the positive was that we were effectively able to confirm each other as safe townies - a fact that I decided to take full advantage of. Knowing I was probably safe from lynching, I ended up taking a very aggressive approach, throwing suspicion on anyone I could and leaping to lynches before it was probably not wise to do so. It was all to try and paint myself as a loose cannon that the mafia thought they might be able to take advantage of, narrow down the suspects according to who does/doesn't support my suspicions and most of all, get everyone talking. The way I figured it the more people talked, the better the chances were of the mafia tripping up.

Speaking of which, for the first few days I actually thought Charlie was the cop, based on his character profile (he's listed as an orc "inspector"). :roll: It's why I threw suspicion on him and suggested that the "cop" investigate him. I didn't think it would lead to a lynch, but I hoped it would at least pull some mafia into following my suspicions and reduce the chances that he'd get killed at night (I figured as mafia, they'd be more likely to lynch people that everyone figured were townies).

Speaking of which, I'm actually curious to know whether Brooksey suggested lynching Charlie because I had thrown suspicion on him before? After Brooksey was revealed as mafia, I couldn't help but wonder whether they specifically chose charlie because they thought I'd follow suit and lynch with them? Is there any truth to that, or were my efforts all for naught? ;)

On the final, short lived day, with Vesh still around I knew I was going to lose this game no matter what I tried. So it was just a matter of deciding how I lost. I was actually seriously considering Lynching Vesh, killing off my rival and guaranteeing the win for the Mafia. In the end though, I decided I'd probably get lynched in real life for such a douche move. ;) So instead I decided that if this game was going to end, it was going to be through my own actions, regardless of who won.

I honestly thought Disembodied Head was the most likely Mafia suspect. I could not understand why he'd possibly think I was mafia so it seemed incredibly suspicious when he tried to lynch me, not to mention encouraging Massean to give info that would result in a mod-kill and then lynching Charlie. In any case, it's a credit to Onyx that he managed to stay out of suspicion for the entire game.

Onyx - were you honestly hoping to try and lynch me on the last day? The way I figured it the only two suspects left were you and DH, with Vesh and myself being definite townies. If you'd tried to lynch me then I would have almost definitely concluded that you were mafia. Fortunately for you I was in no mood for talking. I'd already decided that I was going to control how this ended and I was pretty confident that DH was the mafia anyway. :mrgreen:

In the end, I don't think I ever accused a single actual mafia the entire game. In fact, in retrospect I was pretty terrible at this game from start to finish. :roll: Nevertheless, playing as aggressively as I did was pretty fun, even if it possibly achieved nothing in the end!

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:13 pm 

I wonder what Vesh will make of all this if he ever logs in :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:09 pm 

Quote:
Onyx - were you honestly hoping to try and lynch me on the last day?
I was simply going to offer Vesh what he wanted.
Also with DH suspecting you, it seemed like the easiest option.

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next