It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 597 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40 Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I made one error in the entire game - it's position in the scheme of things is irrelevant.
Just one huh?
Quote:
Vote: Wyldcarde
Quote:
;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:12 pm 

I think people are taking this a bit too seriously, it's just a game and it's for fun, win or lose. Yes there are some personalities in the game, but that's what makes the game so interesting. Malignant is a prime example of this as I learnt after his doppelgänger move in malifaux mafia not to trust him, and he wasn't even mafia! So even with a Bart rc I couldn't trust him, but it makes the game fun as it keeps you on your toes. I think this game for me was a big learning experience in what to look out for and I'm actually happy that I had enough confidence to raise and push a lynch, as i have been to scared to do this in the past. As long as you have fun and learn something, what else could you ask for? Besides, mafia were definitely due for a win :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

The Malifaux one was an interesting one.

In the end, the fact that it was me remaining as a possible lynch option quite possibly cost the town the game, as Bloodbane decided to lynch me as a possible liar, rather than going for the more obvious target given the evidence. I suspect that it had have been someone else, he may not have done that. ;)
End result - yes, I WAS lying my ass off, but I was still town. Mafia wins.

So, it goes both ways.

After this many games I've realised that I actually much prefer playing as town, given that you're basically up against everybody (I like the challenge). A town player's best weapon is the truth, but you better believe I'll say just about anything whilst playing town if I think it'll lead to victory. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:43 pm 

The standard start on the mafiascum main forum is now day start. It sounds like a detail but starting day one completely in the dark and beginning discussion and the real game rather than just using powers on certain key player names can actually improve the game.

Another idea to mix things up is to have roll calls less influential, to avoid the lucky dip lottery on day 1 deciding the game by shaking out mafia or forcing out power roles.

That said, going with Bart in this particular game was a gutsy move! Even more so when you remember he has mafia links. Did you say why Luke?

So there are plenty of ways to shake things up and avoid a predictable metagame.

Ps Anonymous accounts are not a good idea because they aren't allowed. It wouldn't help all that much anyway; some people are always going to find it easier to convince others online.
It was fun to play dumb though :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
That said, going with Bart in this particular game was a gutsy move! Even more so when you remember he has mafia links. Did you say why Luke?
Yup:
Quote:
Every other game where I've played as mafia, it was always a weak RC that let me down in the end - so this time I decided to take a chance.

That being said - if you read back over day 1, you'll see that it actually wasn't that big of a chance that I took. By the time that I RCed, I was reasonably sure about who 10 of the other non-mafia player characters were, and that didn't include a potential cop & doc character. Add the mafia in to the mix, and that only left a couple of characters I wasn't sure of.

It was looking pretty damn likely that only part of the Simpson family was present, so I went for it. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:15 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I made one error in the entire game - it's position in the scheme of things is irrelevant.
Just one huh?
Quote:
Quote:
;)
Lynching a survivor is a mistake because....?

Actually my win condition required all threats to the town to be gone. Survivors often fill "serial killer" roles, so it was actually a "win" for me having him gone, not a mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

Well, if you don't believe that not even pushing for a lynch on an actual mafia the entire game is "not a mistake", then I guess we're playing different games mate. ;)

Lynching ecky was the last error, but it certainly took a bit to get up to that point. Everyone - including you - had their chance.

Sitting back and not really participating - does not a winning strategy make.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:21 am 

I only agreed with two of the lynchings. I even spoke out against two others saying that I wouldn't vote for them.

Town played a VERY poor game. It was lost well before my final move. Take almost zero responsibilty for this loss.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:04 am 

Quote:
That being said - if you read back over day 1, you'll see that it actually wasn't that big of a chance that I took. By the time that I RCed, I was reasonably sure about who 10 of the other non-mafia player characters were, and that didn't include a potential cop & doc character. Add the mafia in to the mix, and that only left a couple of characters I wasn't sure of.
This is a very interesting point and something I will consider in the future, which may stop me from throwing hints as to who I am unless it is actually important.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:25 am 

Quote:
After this many games I've realised that I actually much prefer playing as town, given that you're basically up against everybody (I like the challenge). A town player's best weapon is the truth, but you better believe I'll say just about anything whilst playing town if I think it'll lead to victory
I Whole Heartedly agree with this, my favourite role to play in MS, is Vanilla Town.
Let my over-eager examining be my power role !

TheGambler#11893
Add me on Hearthstone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:01 pm 

Great game, well done Mafia well played. Just want to say that I feel not including Bart and Lisa in Simpsons mafia made it a little easier for the mafia, I mean it would have been like not including Hermione or Dumbledore in Harry Potter mafia. They are 2 of the 4 main charecters, more so than Maggie IMO. People were waiting foe these 2 to come out and they never did, I mean really Comic Book Guy but no Bart or Lisa.

I don't wish to take away from the mafia victory, they played well and deserved the win. I just think it was a rookie moderator mistake on Aza's part.

First person in Australia at a tournament to beat Doubleskulls Orcs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:25 pm 

I don't see missing main characters as a mistake on the moderators part. Mafia doesn't know that the characters aren't in the game so can't necessarily capitalize on it, and also it mixes up the strength of the rolecalls so just because someone is a dodgy rolecall doesn't necessarily mean they are mafia.

The hat did it with the transformer game to good effect, leaving out bumblebee, hot rod and Kupp to name a few. I think it balances out the advantage of the rolecall from being an extremely powerful town weapon. If you take the risk and get away with it you deserve the reward.

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Yup, I agree. Particularly with the Simpsons.

It's a show that has such a massive breadth of character possibilities. Using 5 of those slots to have the entire family represented would have been a waste IMO. Aza definitely made the right call there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:48 pm 

yet to be a mafia player yet but i feel like being a standard mafia goon would be harder imo. Have to wait and see i guess

I may be the only person who was actually happy to realise that a trophy can also be used as a backscratcher

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 597 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40 Next