[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
The Next Mafia Game - Page 3 - WestGamer
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:12 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
 Post subject: Re: The Next Mafia Game
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 pm 

Quote:
Well, we can virtually guarantee that anyone revealed as Jar Jar would just get universally lynched on principal alone - even if everyone knew he was a townie. :P
That sounds like mafia talk to me...
Vote : malignant
Oh... Wait...

TheGambler#11893
Add me on Hearthstone

Post subject: The Next Mafia Game
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 am 

So far we are looking at Malifaux or Star Wars (great idea guys). I'd save the Game of Thrones for Russia. Likely I'll make the two themes so we have them ready for the future.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:23 am 

Star wars would be cool, just the original trilogy though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:04 pm 

definitely keen on malifaux

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:52 pm 

Suggestion based on feedback in the current game

LESS PEOPLE

Russia was really hospitable to allow so many players, but the problem is it's so many that it has become confusing and difficult for the more casual players to keep up and remain interested.

So I'd suggest less is more, even if it means I have to bow out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:12 pm 

Quote:
Suggestion based on feedback in the current game

LESS PEOPLE

Russia was really hospitable to allow so many players, but the problem is it's so many that it has become confusing and difficult for the more casual players to keep up and remain interested.

So I'd suggest less is more, even if it means I have to bow out.
I too have thought about this. I think part of the problem comes from the inexperience of players here leading them to believe that mafia games are "supposed" to be a certain way which in fact they are not. A few people have expressed a feeling that the game is "dragging on", which for a game this size is completely untrue. A 24 player game can be expected to go for at least a month or two. A big factor is day-length and actually the deadlines I set for the night/day cycle are the tightest I've ever seen. Nearly every game I've played in has had week long days and sometimes week long nights. Forum mafia games just take time.... that's how they work.

But if a significant enough percentage of the player base on westgamer feel that a quick game is a good game then sure, I'll listen to the people and cap the games to fewer players. The drawback is that it's far more difficult to make the games interesting and diverse as the fewer players there are the less wiggle-room you have for tweaking factions and powers. For example a game with 14 odd players would be over very quickly with 2 killing parties, so that pretty much rules out serial killers, vigilantes and multiple mafia groups. Mason groups and cults also have too much swing in a small game so are unreasonable to use.

How confusing a game is tends to be a product of willingness to commit time to solving the puzzle combined with game set-up. I don't think the current set-up is particularly confusing (except for confusion caused by the mistake I admitted to), so if casual players are having trouble staying interested then it may just be that forum mafia is not for them. But in conclusion, we could play smaller games in future but those games will be restricted in their diversity.

I'll have a think about it more and would love to hear feedback from others.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:19 pm 

I intend to sit out the next one (need to take a break from this eventually) but more than happy to tke part in the one after.

Maybe just take turns between small games and big games? Iunno. It's still fun nonetheless :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:25 pm 

I'm basing it off the first game with regard to my comment on it "dragging on". When we were Mafia we had our kills in pronto and day/nights flicked through quickly.

As that was the first time I'd ever heard of Mafia, that's the limit of my experience. Interesting to hear the times are quite tight by comparison to other games. I'm enjoying either way. Maybe I have ADD...oooh, shiny things!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:28 pm 

To be fair though Bloodlust we had a pretty solid plan as the Mafia in that game and we stuck to it and locked it all in very quickly and up front - we also got away with almost everything we had planned with no hiccups....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:32 pm 

Quote:
To be fair though Bloodlust we had a pretty solid plan as the Mafia in that game and we stuck to it and locked it all in very quickly and up front - we also got away with almost everything we had planned with no hiccups....
Well, that's because we rule ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:37 pm 

Number of players is certainly the determining factor in length of the night cycle. Game 1 there were few players and few powers so things flew by. Second game nights took a little longer, but the mafia got trounced so badly that the game was quickly over. This current game has lots of players and lots of powers, and several nights have been extended for 20+ hours waiting for the last person to submit their night action. Not naming any names though, because it's been different people :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:38 pm 

Yeah, I think all the different night action roles would drag things out. First game we had Mafia (preselected who was getting ganked), Cop and Doc. Very quick. As I say, I'm still quite new so certainly not a criticism :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:46 pm 

Quote:
As I say, I'm still quite new so certainly not a criticism :)
It's all a matter of taste really, and it's hard to be "wrong" with taste. Some people might prefer quick games with only a few powers while other people might prefer the problem solving aspects of a larger game with more powers. I'm in the latter camp for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:58 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
As I say, I'm still quite new so certainly not a criticism :)
It's all a matter of taste really, and it's hard to be "wrong" with taste. Some people might prefer quick games with only a few powers while other people might prefer the problem solving aspects of a larger game with more powers. I'm in the latter camp for sure.
I'm in the latter camp too, and it was unfortunate that im now dead but it was fun while it lasted, the problem solving and figuring out interactions is very interesting (even distracted me from work a bit)

Wyrd Henchman

Post subject: The Next Mafia Game
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:14 pm 

What I was planning in doing is removing deadlines falling on weekends. I find this to be the period there is usually lots of action by some and very little action by others. During the week action tends to average out.

What do people think of one full weekday for night actions to be in? Too quick?

Following the current game I will post details for the next one, and see the response we get. Definitely keen to have roles as being a basic townie does make you feel left out at night time.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next