[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
What do you want from a painting competition? - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:06 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:31 am 

So WASMEX just finished up. We had a good showing, but it seemed a majority of entries were from the same few people.

So with this in mind, I want to ask the community - what would make you enter a painting competition?
plus, what has stopped you from entering WASMEX?

Currently we have the following categories:
- Fantasy gaming figures (can include squads)
- Fantasy gaming vehicles and equipment

There is also a gundam and mecha category for those who are interested.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated. I would love to get more of the community competing

Proud member of the west coast brewers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:08 am 

I had no idea it was on. Where do they advertise?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:11 pm 

Used to be through what's on .

This year we moved to Facebook.
So we had targeted advertising, posters put in hobby shops and of course word of mouth.

I shared the event to world radio also.

Usually, I do a reminder here .But t gets limited interest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:14 pm 

Well as stated on the weekend, my gaming group want to use their miniatures on our tables. Which is why none of them got entered.

I, personally, don't think mine is good enough, which is fine, because that's not why I paint.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:33 pm 

I didnt go because:

1. Honestly didnt know it was on. Been floating around the general warhammer-centric forums for the last few weeks (warseer, wargamerau, warhammer.org.uk, westgamer, etc) and no one's been talking about it. If no one talks about it then I dont know about it.

2. I dont think I have the skills to be a competitive painter. Furthermore, I dont really want to spend tens of hours painting up a model to what I consider to be a really good standard for the purpose of entering a painting event, transport it to the event and then have it look like complete sh*t when its held up next to a Rembrandt. I prefer to save myself the aggravation and just look at the pretty models instead :lol: .

Kings of War - still rolling my dice and moving my mice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:50 pm 

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

Ratlady, I'll definately hit those websites next time. Thanks .

Elarti, I think Tony asked you guys if th entering as well. If he thinks you should enter, you definately have skill. But I do hear what you are saying. Competition is not for everyone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:08 pm 

I think he may have been looking at other's work on rhe table...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Usually, I do a reminder here .But t gets limited interest
Don't underestimate the number of lurkers around these parts. Giving your event a consistent presence here costs nothing but the time really, and could easily net you a few more participants that never comment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:41 pm 

honestly didnt know it was on, or that they had a relevant painting competition genre to 40k. otherwise I probably would have put something together for it...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:39 pm 

If the question is what I want from a painting competition I'd say "to supply the miniatures" to get those army's I'm never going to get round to painting painted up.. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:44 pm 

Alrighty. I'll definitely put better communication to forums on my list for next year.

As pointed out by tyrus, need to make sure I also point out that there is categories for wargaming

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:25 pm 

I kind of like the idea of a "pure" painting competiton category, where contestants paint a model nominated by the organisers with no conversions allowed to put the focus on what people could do using just their painting ability.

Other fun ideas for a painting comp would be certain handicapped categories, so a "no airbrushes" category or a "no inks/washes" category or a "no metallic paint category" or a "white undercoat only" category.

Would be a cool way to challenge people to paint in different styles and demonstrate their versatility while also opening up the field to people who excel in a particular style.

Best Painted: Freemachine 2012
Best Painted: Dungeonmachine 2013

2nd place: Jacks 13

One-Eye's Commision Painting Services
Contact by thread or PM.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:17 pm 

great ideas one-eye.

Unfortunately, at this moment, we don't have enough entries to warrant categories like this.

Historically, categories such as "sci-fi and fantasy" and "wargaming" have a low number of entries. This year, there were plenty of entries from... two or three people.

So until we get enough entries, there won't be new categories. This applies to the whole competition. Categories are made or destroyed based on the number of entries over a few years. Aircraft get 11 sub-categories, because the demand is there.

Anyways, I can float the idea to the committee and see what they think. It is always worth asking.

In the mean time, I want to get more people coming and competing so we can have the ability to ask for more categories.

On a side note, categories we have now which go in your line of thinking are "out-of-box" and "modified". These would be great for our hobby, especially those who get into converting

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable