[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Top 10 Geek reads - Page 4 - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:29 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Re: Top 10 Geek reads
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 pm 

Finished Ringworld last month, found it ok and really liked some of the bigger Sci-fi tech and ideas in it.
Don't think I would put it in my top 10 but I'll definatly try his other work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:34 pm 

My top 10 fictional geek novels/series no particular order

Snow crash, How is this not on anyone else's list? Did i miss it? Neal Stevenson

American gods, Neil Gaiman

Assassins trilogy, robin hobb

Good omens, pratchett/Gaiman

Preacher, graphic novel Garth Ennis

Worldwar tetralogy, Harry turtledove... Alternate history ww2 with aliens, it took a long time for it to warm to it but I came around to it. Weirdly dry, but engrossing.

Dirk gently's holistic detective agency, Douglas Adams

Id like to add the whole of discworld but honestly the series has some filler, the guards books are fantastic so are the Moist Von Lipwig books. If i had to choose one it'd be Night Watch, Terry pratchett.

Hitchhiker s guide to the galaxy, Douglas Adams

To say nothing of the dog, connie Willis. It was hard to choose one, bell weather and doomsday book are also great.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:49 pm 

Amazed not to see Steven Erikson's Tale of the Malazan book of the fallen - confusing, interweaving timelines but 10 of the best books I have ever read!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:53 pm 

1. RIftwar Saga - Raymond Feist (Magician, Silverthorn, Darkness at Sethanon) (have read at least 4 times)
2. The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan (it took me 20 years to finish this series and have read some of the books up to seven times. Absolutely love it. Also have the Eye of The World Graphic novels from Dynamite)
3. The Night's Dawn Trilogy - Peter F . Hamilton (read twice)
4. Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin (on my third read, plus the TV series and also own all the Graphic Novels form Dynamite)
5. Farseer chronology - Robin Hobb (This includes Farseer, Liveship, Tawny Man and Rain Wild)
6. The Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
7. Mistborn Trilogy - Brandon Sanderson
8. Good Omens - Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman (read several times. Hilarious)
9. The ever increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy - Douglas Adams
10. The Commonwealth Saga - Peter F Hamilton

Honorable mentions
The Axis Chronology - Sara Douglass (Axis trilogy, Wayfarers Redemtion Trilogy)
Belgariad, Mallorean, Elenium - David Eddings
The Saga of the Seven Suns (septology) - Kevin J Anderson
The Empire Trilogy - Raymond Feist/Janny Wurts
Gaunts Ghosts chronology - Dan Abnett
Death's Gate Cycle - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:57 am 

Aggro and I share many similar reads. In no particular order:

1. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka - "As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.'

2. The Tales of H.P. Lovecraft - The finest horror writer in literary history. His stories ooze with existential horror and nameless, unspeakable dread and his language transports you to isolated backwater towns with shadowy denizens that flit behind curtains. Lovecraft is the reason why I avoid visiting the country, especially all those creepy towns with names that end with 'up' in the South West of the State. 'The Dunwich Horror', 'The Call of Cthulhu' and 'The Colour out of Space' are his best.

'[O]n the masonry of that charnel shore that was not of earth the titan Thing from the stars slavered and gibbered like Polypheme cursing the fleeing ship of Odysseus. Then, bolder than the storied Cyclops, great Cthulhu slid greasily into the water and began to pursue with vast wave-raising strokes of cosmic potency. Briden looked back and went mad, laughing shrilly as he kept on laughing at intervals till death found him one night in the cabin ...'

3. Dune by Frank Herbert - His universe building is epic, monumental, filled with shifting alliances and factions all with their own agenda - the Bene Gesserit witches, the bloated Navigators, the Human Mentat computers, the Emperor and his Sardaukar terror troops, the Fremen Mujahideen. Especially clever is his use of Islamic imagery before it became unfashionable to do so.

As an aside, David Lynch's film conveys the darkness of the book in its unforgettable visuals. Everyone should have a heart plug ...

4. 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell. He captured the chilling reality of life experienced by millions of people, and which millions still experience today.

'He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache ... But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.'

5. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle - 'Mr Holmes, they were the footprints of a gigantic hound!' Enough said.

6. The Tales of Edgar Allen Poe. It leaves you with a sense of gnawing horror and despair that can only be salved by a saccharine overdose of repeats of 'Friends' or buying Hello Kitty merchandise. The Masque of the Red Death is my favourite. Others include the Tell Tale Heart, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Black Cat, The Facts In the Case of M. Valdemar, and The Cask of Amontillado.

'And now was acknowledged the presence of the Red Death. He had come like a thief in the night. And one by one dropped the revellers in the blood-bedewed halls of their revel, and died each in the despairing posture of his life. And the life of the ebony clock went out with that of the last of the gay. And the flames of the tripods expired. And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.'

7. Dracula by Bram Stoker - Two thirds of the story is meaningless fluff, like Mina Harker pining for her boy like a Victorian Bella Swan. But then the horror builds and builds until that final shattering climax on the mountain pass as they race to slay the Count against the rapidly setting sun.

8. The War of the Worlds and The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells. With the former best enjoyed to the stirring tones of Richard Burton and the thrilling 'DUN dun-dun-duuuuuunh' of the Jeff Wayne musical.

'No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that his world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as man busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.'

9. The Campaigns of Alexander by Arrian. And The Peloponnesian War by Thucydides - Sparta and Athens engage in a shattering war that spans 27 years. Alliances are formed and broken, and atrocities committed such as the Athenian destruction of the peaceful, neutral city of Melos ('The strong do as they can, the weak suffer what they must.'

10. Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en. The Adventures of the Monkey King! The classic novel in 100 chapters first published in the Ming Dynasty in 1592.

And brought to a Western audience through the never-ending TV show featuring characters who talked funny and whose lips moved differently to the sounds, and a strangely attractive androgynous Boy Priest.

Go on, you remember ABC TV dinner time ... Monkey Magic, Peter Russell-Clarke ('Come and get, with Peter - Gday - Russell - Gday - Claaaarke!), The Goodies ...

'Before Chaos was divided, Heaven and Earth were one;
All was a shapeless blur, and no men had appeared.
Once Pan Gu destroyed the Enormous Vagueness
The separation of clear and impure began.
Living things have always tended towards humanity;
From their creation all beings improve.
If you want to know about Creation and Time,
READ ON!'

Other honourable mentions:

* The Master and Margarita by Mikhael Bulgakov - a hilarious fantasy adventure satire of Soviet bureaucracy that was banned in Stalinist Russia)

* The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein

* Richard III by Shakespeare - the classic, hunchbacked scheming villain with irresistible charisma. He woos than discards the pretty widow of the King he murdered.

* The Civil War by Shelby Foote - THE classic history of the American Civil War by an author who won the Pulitzer Prize. The chapters on the Battle of Gettysburg is moving stuff.

I agree with many of the comments about The Game of Thrones series by George R. Martin. The first and second book were compelling, utterly engrossing stuff. But then the whole work starts to collapse under his monumental pretences. Book 3 was a struggle to read and I couldn't finish Book 4. Pages and pages and pages of dull, plodding travelogue as characters slowly plod their way north, or south, or east ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:14 am 

I'd like to add the Shadow Saga by Orson Scott Card, some of his best writing - perhaps even better than Ender's Game.

Best Painted: Freemachine 2012
Best Painted: Dungeonmachine 2013

2nd place: Jacks 13

One-Eye's Commision Painting Services
Contact by thread or PM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:17 am 

Lots of great books in this thread, but it is missing my favourite:

The White Company, by Arthur Conan Doyle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:54 pm 

1. Magician - Raymond E Feist
2. Armor - John Steakley
3. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkein
4. Only Forward - Michael Marshall Smith
5. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
6. All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque
7. Foundation - Isaac Asimov
8. Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
9. A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K Le Guin
10. Pawn of Prophecy - David Eddings

Books are a wonderful thing! I reckon a top ten list can easily change about five minutes after you write it. Here is my top ten list for 20:50 (UTC + 8) March 24th, 2014.

Ooh! I already want to change it!

Joel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:29 am 

The Boys - Garth Ennis
Kingdom Come - Mark Waid, Alex Ross
Superman Earth One - J. Michael Straczynski
Drenai Series - David Gemmell (His Trojan series is good as well and since his death a few years back the David Gemmell Legend Award has been a high honour in fantasy which Heldenhammer by Graham Mcneill won)
Elves: Once Walked With Gods - James Barclay
Age of Zeus - James Lovegrove
Night Angel Series - Brent Weeks
World War Z - Max Brooks
Games Workshop Novels - Dan Abnett, Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Graham Mcneill
Emperor Series, Conqueror Series - Conn Iggulden

These are not in any order, there are also other books which could be added to this list and a LOT of comics.

Hangar 19: Southwest Gaming Club @ Unit 5/31 Denning Road, Bunbury.