It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Belly's Sons of Medusa
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:20 pm 

Hi all,

As part of the Skull Road event, I am beginning my 2nd army. I've settled on the Sons of Medusa, an Iron Hands successor chapter.

I wanted to enlist the help of Westgamer in helping me decide on paints. I am colourblind, which tends to effect my paint selection, so I wanted to get some ideas an opinions on my choices before the paint start going on. Give I now have a bit more experience than when i started my Eldar, I really want to put the effort in to making this army look great.

I tend to stick to GW paints, as they're what I already own a significant amount of.

Orange has recommended the Army painter Green Spray as a base, so that's where i'll be starting. Warpstone glow as the primary colour over that, then mixing in Moot green for the highlights. Does that sound alright?

I'd like to steer clear of the more organic Greens, and have a look of a more striking green hidden below dirt and grime.

White helmets, black edging on the armour. Vehicles will incorporate larger black areas to make the green pop out more.

I really want to bring out a grimey/chipped look on the minis, and I'm planning to get a pretty decent amount of bionic bits to covert each up uniquely.

Any thoughts and help on my colour selection?

Last edited by Belly on Fri May 22, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:29 pm 

They look great. It's like a blast from the past as I chose this chapter when I first painted marines.

Unfortunately I can't really offer advise on GW paints as I don't use them. But would love to see your progress.

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Want to get into BATTLETECH? Chuck me a PM.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:38 pm 

That color used to be Scorpion Green, but as it looks like you've already found, GW's calling it Moot Green now. I would think about basecoating with Warboss Green (was Goblin Green) rather than Warpstone Glow and highlight to Moot Green. Or just go Moot Green, wash with Biel-Tan Green (Thraka Green Wash - I'm a big fan of Thraka Green Wash - I do all my Ork flesh by layering Thraka Green Wash over white) and then highlight back up with Moot Green again.

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:46 pm 

I don't use GW paints much, aside from the wash which I agree is excellent.

But I thought I'd show you this, not so much for the shade of green (which is weird) but for the colour scheme with the black, white and silver parts. I think it looks great with the green and sounds like what you're planning on doing (me too!):

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:06 pm 

Ahh, yes. Moot Green is the one. it's hard to judge without actually having the paints infront of me.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... erid=85577

This is a great bunch of pictures of the look i'm after.

Actually Orange, for the vehicles I wanted to invert the colours.

So basically black where the green is, and green where the black is on that picture.

Which army is it you're planning?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:30 pm 

Ah yes that makes sense, I can see that working.

I'm doing Aurora Chapter, which is where that predator is from. But it's a similar colour to those Sons except with green helmets, and as they're a Codex chapter they have gold shoulder pad edges for 2nd company.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:53 am 

Latest Space Marine rumours seem to point towards the command land raider/rhino being available as a regular item through GW. Definitely looking to get my hands on those!

I've made some progress in sourcing bitz that I want to create this army with. I've trawled various miniature company websites for anything bionic of use, and have many bookmarks. I was also able to find a guy that can supply Sons of Medusa shoulder pads. I'd be super happy if I was able to get some of them.

Another idea I had was to create a techmarine Dread. Looking forward to that one.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:21 am 

Location: Underneath Parliament House with a lot of explosives
Looks ace, Belly.

I use GW paints almost exclusively although I will be shifting my metallics once I am finished my current projects as I am not happy with the GW ones. Far too watery. The foundation paints and shades are great, though.

And now http://store.steampowered.com/app/540010

Current Status: Being a fierce game dev warrior.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:25 am 

Ohh those are not my models. No (censored) way I painted those! I've removed the pics, to avoid confusion over the standard of my painting abilities :D

Just there as guide/inspiration for the scheme I want to use.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:21 pm 

Well, new Marine codex has both helped and hurt the army that I want to run.

Dreads got buffed, getting 4 attacks base, and a decrease in points across the board, which is great! They can now be taken in squadrons, but cannot take drop-pods if this is done.

One the downside, the MOTF has been removed, and with it the shuffling of Dreads from Elites to Heavy Support. So no more than 3 dreadnought squads, and they compete with Sternguard and Command squads (who have moved to being an elite selection apparently).

So yeah. Kinda invalidates the list I had planned, unless Clan Raukaan remains a legal supplement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:13 pm 

If you start with a Demi-company surely youll be able to spam dreadnaughts after that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:46 pm 

Not from what I've seen. You can only select from the designated auxiliary choices, where the only dread comes with two assault cent squads

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:09 am 

From what i've read this morning, Clan Raukaan will remain a legal supplement. Some bright spark e-mailed GeeDub about Sentinels of Terra, and was told it's still legal. Which leads me to believe Raukaan is. It's also still available on their webstore.

Raukaan allows dreads to be taken in HS without a MOTF :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:23 am 

Sounds like it's still doable!

Any progress with the painting?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:43 am 

None what-so-ever!

I've still got 12 jetbikes and some other random bits & bobs to finish for ATC. Hopefully if I get them finished in the next fortnight, I can start on the Son's ready for some games in July