It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:01 pm 

Steve and I represented WA over at Cancon again this year (Duro was missed this year), and I'm happy to say I was able to bring the trophy back to our state once again. 6 major wins without letting any opponents score a point, and they've all stopped wise-cracking about the quality of epic in WA.
They don't even make fun of our army lists any more :lol:

Epic CANCON 2015

Tournament Organiser Cal:
"What a fantastic event it was this year. We had 24 entries this year and unfortunately two fellas could not make the event, we hope to see you in 2016. The three day event saw 22 players throw down over six rounds and then compete in the Big Bash or side games on the last day.

I would like to say a big thank you to the support I received from the community in bringing tables to the event. Special mention to Mic Fair and the boys from Newcastle Legion and Jayden from the Monday Knights. Again a big shout out to the sponsors for their excellent support.

Fernvale Specialty Scenics
Ideisgns
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol

To the weekends results.

Tournament Champion - Matt (Matt-Shadowlord)
The General - Jim Wallace (JimXII)
The Destroyers - Mic Fair (Mic Fair)
Winner Pool B - Kendall Williams (JumpingJehovah)
2nd Pool B - Sam Allan (Fudd)
Most Improved - Adam Fulmizi
New Recruit - Conor Wallis (Brother Tycho)
Best Painted - Mic Fair

Rankings overall are below, players on like scores were divided into places by Victory Conditions Scored and Victory Points Achieved.

1 Matt Aird DKOK 5 5 5 5 5 5 30
2 Mic Fair Eldar BT 5 5 1 5 5 5 26
3 James Wallace Scions of Iron 5 1 5 5 1 5 22
4 John Hammond Knight World 5 1 1 5 5 5 22
5 Daniel Collins Steel Legion 5 5 1 1 5 5 22
6 Kendall Williams Gazskull Orks 5 5 5 1 5 1 22
7 Sam Allan AMTL 5 4 4 1 5 1 20
8 Duncan Stewart World Eaters 1 4 1 5 4 5 20
9 Zac Manning Codex SM 5 1 2 5 1 5 19
10 Warren Leahey AMTL 1 4 4 4 1 5 19
11 Lucas Connolly Eldar BT 1 5 5 5 1 1 18
12 Kris Durrant AMTL 5 1 1 5 5 1 18
13 Tim Bolton Codex SM 1 2 5 1 4 5 18
14 Adam Fulmizi Steel Legion 4 4 2 2 1 5 18
15 Steve Marr Iron Warriors 1 4 5 4 1 1 16
16 Matt Dobbs Space Wolves 5 1 5 1 1 1 14
17 Jayden Barr Tyranids EUK 1 2 5 2 2 1 13
18 Benjamin Pik Knight World 1 1 1 4 5 1 13
19 Sam Lawrie Codex SM 1 2 1 1 2 5 12
20 Michael Cruise Codex SM 1 1 5 1 2 1 11
21 Lucas Guglielmi Black Legion 1 5 1 1 1 1 10
22 Conor Walliss Codex SM 1 1 1 1 4 1 9

I would once again like to thank the player group, events like these are only as good as the participation of the players. Everyone turned out with fabulous armies and great attitudes. Whilst some very serious games were played there was plenty of laughter and banter to make the weekend fun. A special thanks to those that travelled great distances to get to the tournament, Onyx, Matt Shadowlord and Kefrey.

I look forward to seeing you all again in 2016 and catching up with you all as a player at other events across 2015.

Cheers
Cal"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:02 pm 

EPIC:Armageddon Armies

A close up of some gorgeously crisp White Scars

A perfect combination of poise and menace

One of the many titans fighting for glory over the weekend.

The Hive Swarm descends

Mic Fair's Shining Spears. Terrific looking models, but I've no sympathy for them - this squad of Eldar bikes single-handedly wiped out a formation of 2 gorgon troop transports and 20 brave Krieg infantry. Their lances sliced through armour, destroyed some men and annihilated the remainder with a hack-down roll.

Poxy Space elves :Þ

A Phantom titan, guarding nightspinners

Dobbsy's truly amazing Space Wolves.

I've seen many of these models before, but it's still amazing to see them close up.

Guard super heavy tank formation

A Steel Legion regimental HQ, backed up by leman russ, a Warhound and Thunderbolts

ORKS! Orks stretching as far as the eye can see!

Red ones go faster - What these units lack in accuracy they make up for in pure enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:02 pm 

Sam (Fudd)'s terrific AMTL Titans, bristling with firepower. These would soon be shipped to an Ice Planet to battle in the emperor's name.

The Death Korps prepare for battle. Fudd's AMTL has shocking amounts of high powered guns, but lacked blast weapons. That small mercy meant the Krieg could deploy in very tight formation and use the terrain to force the enemy to have to move before unleashing their firepower.

The AMTL - 3 reavers and a warhound, screened by sentinels that are so dwarfed by the big war machines that only the one in the centre is visible.

The Supreme Commander force-chokes discipline into the men.

When 'Crashing a Thunderhawk model' is considered a sane way to create an objective, you know you're playing Epic.

Taun-Taun rough riders charge to engage the enemy sentinels.

THE TRAP IS SPRUNG! The enemy "Break their Spirit" reaver is hit with blast markers to prep it for assault, its void shields reduced and and then pinned between two massive Krieg formations in a tremendous assault.

The Krieg attack includes four Gorgon war machines, direct assault firefight from 20 stands of infantry, the inspiration of a Commissar and supporting fire from another 20 infantry stands for a total of 52 dice rolled against the great metallic beast.

And despite all this, of course the Reaver won, killing some men, badly damaging a gorgon and breaking the massive formation :D

Even sending in another massive wave of 20 stands of men with 20 fire support only managed to barely scratch the paint with 1 hull point removed, meaning that it required a shadowsword's volcano cannon and a direct hit from a Death Strike missile to finish the job.

That's one legendary Reaver.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:24 pm 

Awesome! Congratulations, Matt! And a huge thanks for the photos - every time you post stuff like this I wanna get into this system even more. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:54 pm 

Nice work, congrats!

(Great photos, too.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:39 pm 

Good job Matt.

Any game systems you don't dominate at?

Everytime you roll 3 1's, Somewhere Cypher dies!

BRAWL Season 2 Champion!!!!
Khorne Wanderers 3-0-0. 5 kills and counting!!! 13 in total...
Green Cave Fanatics 6-0-1, 2 deaths! chainsaw kickbacks = 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:56 pm 

Congratulations once again Matt - i love that they no longer snicker at WA EPIC, now they probably tremble with fear at the mention of your name - Respect through Fear! love it :D

Were there any complaints about the DKoK army list?

thanks for the pics - really wish i could have made it this year, maybe next year :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:39 pm 

Congrats Matt! Impressive maxing out on VP for the entire event, I can see how you were able to do so with your list

Photos look great, definately working on getting over for next year looks like a blast

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:29 pm 

Well done Matt! I was following the threads on wargamerau.com - more great pictures there of the armies.

Those space wolves.. I found it too challenging to put a simple Maltese cross on my marine shoulders, and he has great company markings! Phenomenal.

Do you have any game reports in the works?

Colm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:08 pm 

Quote:
Good job Matt.
Any game systems you don't dominate at?
Fantasy and Warmachine. :wink:
Quote:
Congratulations once again Matt - i love that they no longer snicker at WA EPIC, now they probably tremble with fear at the mention of your name - Respect through Fear! love it :D
Were there any complaints about the DKoK army list?
No, nothing really; partly because plasma destructors currently dominate balance discussion, partly because the counter-charge faq change means a lot more infantry die in every defensive combat (thanks, Steve 8)), and partly because many of the armies were capable of handling the units in combat or with firepower.
Eldar shining spears took an entire 6+20 out in a single charge, and the drop marines were so large they were capable of locking everyone inside and won every one of their combats (just not the games :D).
For the record though while Krieg are not as strong as they once where I'd like to see some additional changes to make them more opponent-friendly, and will be making some simple suggestions soon.
Quote:
Do you have any game reports in the works?
Just one from Cancon Monday, my Tau vs Space Marines.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:11 pm 

Now it's 21 photos - here's one Cal took of his Space Wolves entering combat with Steve's Iron Warrior Defiler formation.

Are you not entertained?!