It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:45 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:16 pm 

Hi all,

I almost posted in the thread on Tactical Command but decided to limit my ignorant questioning to a local forum at first :)

I have been looking at the current developing Black Templars list (http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/ ... 73&t=28100) and I'm a bit puzzled by how it is supposed to work.

It has a lot of the elements that drew me to Templars and I want in my army; no titans, strong air assault bias, a strong focus on assaults vs shooting...

But I'm confused as to how it is stronger in those focused areas than the Codex marines.

Sword Brethren get 3+ cc and infiltrate.. But aren't bikes still cheaper, faster and just better at the same role?

Crusader formations are mandatory and get the option of neophytes, but is bigger tactical formations really that great? I struggled to get enough activations on the board with just the two thunderhawks I played at Matt's intro tournament.

Finally, assault terminators. 2+ cc and an invulnerable sound cool and all, but losing shooting and firefight entirely seems like a massive tradeoff. No clipping engagements, no supporting fire - not what I want from my gods of assault.

Anyway, I'm speaking from *very* little experience here, so I'm hoping some of you lovely people can explain the opportunities and strengths the list have that are not evident to me.

Colm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:29 am 

Assault Terminators I agree with you completely about the trade off, to me its not worth it and for what its worth I think they should come at a slight points reduction if they have that profile.

Air Assault and Air Support you ar elot stronger having access to all the thunderhawk variants being able to bring in your tanks rapidly as well via transporters. Having Marine quality air support is a big difference to Thunderbolts and Marauders.

I would just treat Crusader formations as your standard Tactical formation, neophytes dont really add anything than padding your numbers for a BTS formation.

Sword Brethen to me look like the golden unit in the list, adding in the Emperors Champ (or Chaplain) to the unit and you have a formation that has a long assault threat range, Infiltrator is not to be underestimated, you can lock down multiple units that are good in FF while poor in CC with your superior CC it affords greater tactical flexibility, I would almost eschew the Terminators in prefernce for these guys and deploy via Thunderhawk (or ven a couple of Transporters and have them mounted in Crusaders) they have a lot more value than Bikes.

Its a very different type of list that takes the air assult element of the codex list and pushes it even further

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:14 am 

Thanks for your thoughts Liam. I like the idea of transporters + LR Crusaders (2 extra ff!!) + Sword Brethren.

For a normal Thunderhawk drop though, it seems two assault formations would get you more bang for your buck. Is it because the brethren as one larger formation have more staying power?

Colm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:49 am 

The brethen ar ean awkward formation for normal thunderhawk assault due to size, if they could take a dreadnought upgrade you would get a little more mileage. Both brethern and assault marines are going to struggle against the 'hard' targets with RA in assault compared to the assault terminators as they lack the MW.

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:24 pm 

Just looking over the list it seems to me that with Brethren you're basically paying for Infiltrate, which is a useful ability that can be made extremely effective when coupled with the 30cm move of the rhino. You've then got a 65cm threat range on close combat, which goes up to 80cm if you're happy to just firefight (which is still a 4+, afterall).

I wouldn't worry about Thunderhawks for these guys, is what I'm saying.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:45 pm 

I assumed that infiltrate was not passed to the rhinos, and hence only came into play when on foot...

Maybe I'll ask in the Tac Comms thread.

Colm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:00 am 

Infiltrate is not passed onto the Rhinos.
That would be sooo cool but a bit too good :)

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:16 am 

Quote:
I assumed that infiltrate was not passed to the rhinos, and hence only came into play when on foot...

Maybe I'll ask in the Tac Comms thread.

Colm
Too late, Onyx is on the spot with the answer :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:15 pm 

I do compile and write the FAQ for the NetEA rules after all... :mrgreen:

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:18 pm 

Thanks Steve.

I also note that the caveat about air assault units consolidating back into their aircraft denying disengagement rules is now right there on the same page with the air assault rules.

Thanks!

Colm