It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Beginning Epic with Tau
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:58 am 

Ok I am finally biting the bullet and buying into Epic. I want a nice sci fi army game and it really does seem to tick all the boxes.

I am going to pick up Tau after flipping back and forward alot between them and Nids and decided Tau are probably a better fit for me.

A few questions to start with (consider for a 3k list):

Fire Warriors in transports or on foot in general?
How many is too many Crisis Suits?
same goes for Pathfinders
Hammerheads worth it?

I will also be looking at some Barracudas and Tigersharks and adding sky rays as formation upgrades

Wyrd Henchman

Last edited by one second of insanity on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:21 pm 

if ur going for Tau i suggest a chat with Matt-Shadowlord and Onyx, both experienced with Tau and the Top 2 players in Aus at the moment :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:08 pm 

+1 Matt-Shadowlord and Onyx are the two to speak to. I wouldn't presume to suggest Tau builds, they have quite a different playstyle to most Epic armies.

Whatever list you decide on, I'm just happy you've decided to start Epic. It means my Blood Axe horde might finally make it off the shelf :mrgreen:

WMH: Khador and Circle; Malifaux: Gremlins, Outcasts, Arcanists and Neverborn; X-Wing: Rebels; DWars: Prussians; Blood Bowl: Lots :) Dreadball: Humans; W40K: Space Marines; Epic: Orks and Imperial Guard; Warhammer: Empire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:20 pm 

Welcome to Epic - you will not regret it. This is an awesome game.

Did you see my article from a couple days ago on 3++? http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/03/epic-b ... -gargants/
It is focussed on Tau, and comes complete with some advice and an army list.

First though, Be Warned: Tau are very expensive
Forgeworld only, very rare models. All resin. Beautiful models with incredible detail, but unlike most epic armies they've never been cheap.

However, you might be in luck because someone might be selling a specacular collection of Tau models with the sole stipulation that they are used locally. I'll drop this unnamed benefactor of the WA epic scene a PM to see if that's still the case and let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:34 pm 

Good onya mate 8)

Well with the 4 week campaign and 1 day tournament coming up in June, it's a good time to get into Epic!
I really should get some threads started soon... :oops:

I suggest Matt is the local authority on Tau at the moment. He has designed his own list which makes use of some of the newer Tau toys and hopes to help them play a slightly different game than 'try and shoot everything off the table before it clobbers you...' :lol:
I heard that there was possibly a local Tau army up for sale - maybe contact Reaper to see if he still has them (heaps of Forgeworld goodies in it).
I love the Onslaught Miniatures stuff as well and plan to use them in the future.

Fire Warriors are usually my preferred Break Their Spirit formation (most expensive formation in the army). You could bulk out a foot slogger formation with some goodies (1 Skyray, Pathfinders, extra Firewarriors, Ethereal etc) to act as a Blitz Guard (protect your Blitz objective). This has the advantage of starting the game Garrisoned on Overwatch and can put out a nasty amount of anti personnel fire power.
Usually, Epic is a game that's won by being in the right place at the right time. This means mobility. Firewarriors in Devilfish is a great idea to supply that mobility.

Crisis Suits are fantastic but somewhat susceptible to engagements (as most of the Tau are) due to small formation size and no reinforced armour (mind you, 3+ armour save is great against normal attacks and a 6+ invulnerable save is helpful, even against Titan Killing hits). Another great use for Crisis Suits is as a payload for an Orca transport. It's a very shooty formation that can be deleivered by air to any part of the board (just make sure you nullify enemy AA first as Orcas are made of tissue paper :wink: ).

Pathfinders are one of those formation that your opponent can't decide what to do with. They are not a very threatening formation by themselves but once you take into consideration their markerlights, they a vital to the rest of the Tau army working well. This can also be accomplished with Tetras at a cheaper price though.

Hammerheads are very good at killing lightly armoured enemy vehicles. They struggle a bit once placed up against reinforced armour though. So much so that there was a recent push to get their weapon stats changed, to no avail so far :evil: . They are fast, shooty and manoeuvrable, just don;t expevt them to be able to go toe to toe with Leman Russ tanks!

Barracudas are pretty good as AA units. They're less good at hitting things on the ground though. Good for placing blast markers and going after isolated, broken formations. Skyrays are excellent AA and should be included as upgrades wherever possible. Upgrade Skyrays are better that the dedicated Skyray formation which is easily broken/nullified.

Tigersharks are ok. The AX-1-0 is the Tau main access to titan killing weapons (often referred to as a flying Shadowsword). They are a bit expensive and will every now and then fail to activate which is REALLY annoying. Taking the space ship is another good/cheap source of titan killing power.

Hopefully, that covers most of your questions (from the PM as well).

Sing out for more info and Matt will be your best friend if you play his list! :mrgreen:

Steve.

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:46 pm 

Thanks for the replies so far, have downloaded the experimental list too

We'll see how I go any substandard units beyond stealth suits and the ionhead?

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:48 pm 

These not-tau are pretty good quality and value :D just depends if you want the "official" GW look or are happy to have close enough for the tiny mans :wink:
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/9-okami-te ... cy-combine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:04 pm 

I was looking seriously into those guys Olly, my biggest thing was figuring out what to do aircraft wise and also how to sculpt up a few tetras and perhaps a riptide or three.

For the Barracuda I was thinking of using this as a base model http://www.darkrealmminiatures.co.uk/st ... =31&page=1
With a little bit of work it will tie in aesthetically quite well with the onslaught minis stuff

Likewise for the Tiger Shark AX-1-0 I was looking at using this http://www.darkrealmminiatures.co.uk/st ... =31&page=1
and once again doing a fair bit of conversion work shortening it up putting a couple of railguns on it etc

It really just comes down to the tetra and riptide to work out.

Thanks for all the responses so far I will draft up a couple of 3k lists for Tau 6.6 and potentially fo V'iorla as well (the list looks like a lot of fun and I think I will be talking to you a bit more Matt about it)

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:48 pm 

Ok I have almost got my shopping list sorted including some suitable proxies for Riptides from DRM so I can run the Vior'la list as well as the 3rd Phase Expansion List.

Just a question with formations if I have a formation that has some Broadsides, Fire Warriors and a skyray for example do all the units in the formation have to fire at the same target or can you split fire between different formations?

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:46 am 

Okay I have worked out a first draft of a 3000pt 3rd Phase Expansion list

6 Crisis Suits + Shas'O 450
10 Fire Warrior Units in Devilfish + Bonded + Skyray 475
4 Hammerheads (Railheads) + Skyray 300
4 Hammerheads (Railheads) + Skyray 300
2 Pathfinder Units + Devilfish 200
2 Pathfinder Units + Devilfish 200
6 Broadsides 325
8 Fire Warrior Units (footsloggers) 225
2 Barracudas 150
2 Tigershark AX-10 375

I was thinking there are a fair amount of activations even though there are a few small formations

AA I think is taken care of and I should be able to work Air Superiority

The large mounted Fire Warrior Formation I thought would be better for BTS than making a bigger Crisis Suit formation

I had an Orca in the list before but couldnt work out how to spend the last 75 points so went for the footslogging Fire Warriors. I havent taken Tetras because I'm not convinced on how I can model a proxie yet that will fit visually with the rest of the army.

I was also going to get some additonal Cris Suits, 3 more Broadsides plus something to use as an Orca (if someone can let me know the dimensions of the actual model that will help for feasibility of the idea.

Plus I was going to get some models for some Riptides and some Sunshark and Moray proxies, I really like the differences with the Vior'la list

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 pm 

Quote:
Just a question with formations if I have a formation that has some Broadsides, Fire Warriors and a skyray for example do all the units in the formation have to fire at the same target or can you split fire between different formations?
They all fire at the same target, with one exception: AA weapons fire at any air targets that come to range, and can fire as many times per turn as their are air units entering their range.

Taking your mixed unit for example:
Firewarriors - can be ordered to fire once at any Personnel target, or at the personnel in a formation with mixed AT and AP.
Broadsides - can fire their AT weapon vs vehicles, their AP weapon vs personnel, or both at a mixed formation
The Sky ray - can fire their AT weapon vs vehicles (requires markerlights), their AP weapon vs personnel, AND can fire their AA vs every air formation that comes in to range.

I hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:38 pm 

Thanks Matt, that clarifies things a lot for me

Wyrd Henchman