It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Knights!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:00 pm 

So I've been reading about Imperial Knights. I'm so glad I did read about their fluff when I was still playing 40k - I would be a lot more broke!

Anyway, I think they are awesome and they are going to be my 2nd Epic Army. I've done some reading on taccomms and drooled over the 40k codex and come up with the following:

Colm's Knight World List, 2990 POINTS
Knight World (NetEA v2.2.2 *APPROVED*)
==================================================
KNIGHT HOUSEHOLD [530] - Baron, 3 Knight Errant
KNIGHT HOUSEHOLD [355] - 3 Knight Errant, Seneschal
KNIGHT HOUSEHOLD [355] - 3 Knight Errant, Seneschal
CUSTODIAN HOUSEHOLD [400] - 3 Knight Castellan, Seneschal
AA GUN BATTERY [125] - 3 AA Guns, 3 Gun Transporters
AA GUN BATTERY [125] - 3 AA Guns, 3 Gun Transporters
ROUGH RIDER PLATOON [150] - 6 Rough Riders
THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [150] - 2 Thunderbolt Fighters

I was looking for a a lot of knight bodies, with a decent amount of activations (hence the small knight formations) and good enough anti-air to stop those mean terminators in thunderhawks ruining my day.
I have a bunch of Leaders (though no Inspiring) because I hope it will help me adjust to not having ATSKNF. Is this overkill?

Another option was to drop one errant in the 2nd and 3rd formations down to a Paladin (which gives me a 75cm blast-marker range, but at the cost of assault power) and buy the rough riders an Aspirant (commissar).

Anyway, I love some commentary - hopefully before I pull the trigger on my model order. :)

Regards,

Colm

Post subject: Re: Knights!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:25 am 

I think that's pretty close to the mark, Colm. In theory at least, Errants and Castellans seem to be the strongest options in the Knights list. Having said that, I would switch the Baron's formation to Paladins. That way they all have the longer range of the Battle Cannon and can hang further back, that formation already has a huge target hung on it as Supreme Commander and BTS. The points saved would let you get the Aspirant for the Rough Riders, which is an auto-include to me.

Other options would be beefing up a household to 6 for a really heavy hitting unit and to stop the Baron being BTS but that would come at the cost of activations. I also think you could swap the AA formations for Wardens, which would be similar in price and AA firepower, give some useful mid-range firepower, and be more fluffy (but again at the cost of an activation).

WMH: Khador and Circle; Malifaux: Gremlins, Outcasts, Arcanists and Neverborn; X-Wing: Rebels; DWars: Prussians; Blood Bowl: Lots :) Dreadball: Humans; W40K: Space Marines; Epic: Orks and Imperial Guard; Warhammer: Empire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:15 pm 

Thanks for your comments, Rick. Yeah, taking the Baron off of the front lines is probably a good idea.

I'll have to see how the small units go for a couple of games. It is 30 points of tax per unit, so clumping up would only save me 60 points but cost two activations... but maybe would let me better reduce the enemy activation count and /or resist breaking and losing my own activatons.

The key attraction of the aa guns was their cheap price - and in my fevered imagination, no self -respecting knight would be happy with an aa battery and a multilaser! Again, though, the Warden formation would be a lot tougher, though just slightly too fast to garrison.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:33 pm 

Another factor is that to include wardens I need another Paladin/Errant detachment.