It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:37 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:45 pm 

So it's been what 6 months since aos splintered the warhammer community.

Kings of war seemed popular. I have heard 2 accounts. The first is that it is unite a remarkable system - easy to learn, difficult to master, balanced (top 10 places at can on featured 9 armies).
Conversely, a gaming group in Perth, so I've heard, have been able to break it, and that it is far from balanced.

So... thoughts? Good, bad, here to stay?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:18 pm 

I've played this game a lot over the last 3-4 years and to me it seems reasonably balanced. Some players contend that the Abyssal Dwarves and Elves have a slight edge, with Undead also being relatively powerful. These armies certainly pack a very solid punch but they are far from unbeatable. There are some nasty combos out there for sure but every combo I've seen has a counter. So if you see your opponents turn up at games with the same type of combo or slight variations thereof time and time again it is actually pretty easy to develop a list and associated tactics to blunt or beat their list, as long as you have significant experience in the game. Many KoW players in Perth are relatively new to the system and some may think they've broken the game (I have not heard this before). However, as more games are played and they see their uber-lists unpicked and defeated by experienced players I believe that they may change their mind.

I'd agree that KoW is easy to learn and very difficult to master. It is a game in which good tactical play and minimising silly mistakes is generally rewarded with victory (and vice versa).

Players that are good at playing massed-battle games will tend to do well no matter what list they take. There is a bloke in the UK that keeps winning tourneys (often incl. the GT) despite taking a different army every time. To me this says it is the player that is unbeatable not their list. Anyway, the rules are free to download and you probably have a bunch of Fantasy models, so why not punch out a few games with your gaming group and get your own impressions of the KoW.

Will it replace WH Fantasy? I doubt it. It is not really the same thing and the proliferation of really cool game systems we have seen in recent years has provided so much more choice than we had before. But it is probably the most enjoyable massed battle game I've played and I've been rolling dice for too many decades now).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:01 pm 

I'd go with Cancon, 54 players, its definitely taken off over east. Far more weight to Kings of War over there.

I would be interested to see what is thought to be significantly broken?

I don't intend on playing much else to be honest, but theres always a plethora of games to try.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:15 am 

I had two games of kings last week and loved it!!
The group of players playing at outpost is growing and lots of guys have armies that they can bring if someone asks them for a game.
Gameplay is really easy to play especially if you have a fantasy backround. I loved the nerve system. Having to remove piles of beautifully painted models was really annoying in 8th. In kings a unit will stick around until its nerve is broken, once that happens you remove the unit wich is much better I think.

If you ever want to try it head over to outpost and ask for a game or two!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:06 pm 

I don't think anything is broken the main complaint from new players are flyers seem too strong.

The consensus is that flyers are not broken but easy to use and hard to learn how to counter. Therefore new players find them over powered. With experienced players its not an issue.

Within a couple of months there is talk that a tournament pack will be releases which will modify the rules a little to make flyers harder to learn/use.

However the game is the best fantasy game around.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:45 pm 

Lol really a group here thinks they have broken it? Who is that and how have they placed in the tournaments so far?

I’m in the camp of it being fantastic. It’s not balanced to the point where you can just throw anything on the table and take on anything (is anything?), a list must contain counters to certain extreme builds (lots of flyers, gunlines, mass defence 6, lots of tough individuals seem to be the most commonly complained about archetypes). The thing is just about every list seems to have those counters in one form or another.

The thing I really like about it is the spectacle. No unit costs more than about 350 points at an absolute max…..so you simply cannot see boring deathstar armies consisting of one unit packed with 1,000 points of characters and chaff. Every single game will be an army fighting an army…….it may be a vast horde vs an elite core with multiple dragons, but it will have 5+ units (and they would have to be big powerful centerpiece units).

The UK player who keeps winning things is Dan King. The lists he runs look utterly mediocre on paper and he goes in and tables the “most horrific all flying horde filth lists” in a matter of turns……..I have no idea how he does this but the fact that it’s even possible is excellent.

You mentioned the top ten at Cancon. While the diversity of armies was nice what was more telling was that ‘the hated archetypes’ I mentioned above were not at all dominant. Within the top 10 there was one list that had a lot of powerful flyers (5th), one that was all defense 6 (9th)…..and all of the others were pretty rounded.

I think the best advice is to just give it a go. If you have a fantasy army then you already have a kings of war army. Don’t look at things on paper too much, a lot of the units look similar stat wise but a few subtle differences combined with a few special rule changes can radically alter how a unit preforms on the table and it will not be apparent until you have played a few games……or done a whole load of stats.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:52 pm 

Thanks for the replies all.

@Boothy - I don't think any game where you have assymetric armies could have the kind of balance where any army could handle any army.

I think I'll head down to outpost and have a good look at it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:31 am 

Yes i agree, should have said army/race rather than list for increased clarity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:47 pm 

I'm really curious, which gaming group has broken KoW???

It's certainly not Outpost, specially with our showing at Gamagori LOL.

The malevolent Over-Master Zhudhak Ironbull, famed for riding into battle on Abyss's most fierce Abyssal Dragon - Cacus the fire breathing giant.

Outpost6030 I challenge you!!