[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
New Skaven Vermin Lord! - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:13 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: New Skaven Vermin Lord!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:03 am 

Merry Christmas, all.

And what a ratty Christmas it is! Presenting the End Times Skaven Vermin Lord:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachmen ... 1419436578

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachmen ... 1419437053

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3RPzH ... xVllr/view

Thoughts:

As a model I think he looks kinda cool (dual tails though. WTF!?), however after the shenanigans of Karl Franz Ascended and Malekith the Eternity King, im a bit underwhelmed by his rules. A Monster that can Skitterleap itself is nice, but for 500pts I can probably think of better things to spend my points on. There are supposed to be 5 "variants" of this guy though, so maybe one of them will be worth its hefty points cost.

Overall, this "Deceiver" Vermin Lord seems to suffer from trying to perform too many jobs at once, and not really excelling at any of them (High WS + ST + Skitterleap means he wants to be in combat, being a Lvl 4 Wizard means he wants to be free to cast spells, and his gun means he wants to be shooting stuff depending on what "Arching Death" is?).

Kings of War - still rolling my dice and moving my mice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:26 am 

The rule for "Arching Death" is the last rule at the bottom of his profile, shots=models in front rank within range.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:06 am 

Skreech the Verminking, sounds pretty brutal, re-rolling dreaded thirteenth and from what I can make out re-rolls dispell dice.

A very ratty Christmas indeed.

The malevolent Over-Master Zhudhak Ironbull, famed for riding into battle on Abyss's most fierce Abyssal Dragon - Cacus the fire breathing giant.

Outpost6030 I challenge you!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:41 am 

I'm confused by the Deceiver's magic rules. It states that one of his spells must be Skitterleap, while the rest are generated from the two lores in any combo. So that is to cover both standard 8th edition rules and the End Times rules, correct? It also seems to indicate that at least the presence of two Skaven lores won't change for the 9th edition army book.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:14 pm 

It would be pretty awesome if they brought back the old Hellpit army.

Link below:

http://www.ruinouspowers.com/skaven/rul ... t_list.pdf

Now that would scary.

The malevolent Over-Master Zhudhak Ironbull, famed for riding into battle on Abyss's most fierce Abyssal Dragon - Cacus the fire breathing giant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:40 pm 

First impressions are meh!

But arching death seems really good when combined with a level 4. However 500 points is a lot for a model who can be canned off pretty easily.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:41 am 

Seems more like a Keeper of Secrets than a Vermin Lord. Not really sure about all the variants aswell as i thought it was supposed to be more of an analogue to the Greater Daemons than to a Daemon Prince.

A man's greatest work is to break his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all the things that have been theirs, to hear the weeping of those who cherished them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:00 am 

Quote:
First impressions are meh!

But arching death seems really good when combined with a level 4. However 500 points is a lot for a model who can be canned off pretty easily.
Honestly I would rather just take this model and use the VL rules from the Skaven rulebook. The problem that the VL has always had is that it tries to do too much, doesnt do any of it exceptionally well and yet pays a points premium for it. In a Skaven army 500pts buys you a lot of stuff, so for a unit to be worth that much it really needs to be appealing, and unfortunately VLs just dont cut it.
Quote:
Seems more like a Keeper of Secrets than a Vermin Lord. Not really sure about all the variants as well as I
thought it was supposed to be more of an analogue to the Greater Daemons than to a Daemon Prince
There is some Skaven fluff that exists that speculates that VLs are the embodiment of particularly powerful Lords of Decay (the Skaven leaders), and that when a Lord of Decay dies he may become a VL if he was bada** enough during life. I personally reckon GW has just taken this to the logical extreme in the Skaven ET book, and given the clans their own VL to represent their respective Lord of Decay.....

.....or some random Skaven ascend to godhood because why the feth not? Its the End Times!

Kings of War - still rolling my dice and moving my mice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:57 pm 

I like the model, but dont think its rules are very strong. If it had the doom glaive and the presented stats for the same cost it would be solid (+1W and +1T would help the existing vermin lord a lot), but the loss of the multiple wounds, and its shear size cause this one some issues!

Having said that, compared to a keeper of secrets its not bad at all. 50 points for +1 wound, -1 to hit with shooting, poison, shooty thing, and +3 magic levels at the cost of -1LD, not unstable. The keeper benefits a lot from the 25 point ASF word though.

I look forward to seeing what the other ones end up being like.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:38 am 

I was thinking, what if these new releases for Skaven isn't a End Times book, but a new army book instead?

There is nothing which states End Times on any of the leaked photo's etc.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:08 am 
Site Admin

It's End Times.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:37 am 

Quote:
It's End Times.
You're proberly right, but would be nice if Skaven did get a new army book.

We'll just have to see what the next End Times brings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:16 am 
Site Admin

:lol: No "probably" about it.

End times: "Thanquol" is confirmed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:24 pm 

Quote:
:lol: No "probably" about it.

End times: "Thanquol" is confirmed.
:D Cool, can you please place a link within this thread where it has been confirmed? I'd like to take a look.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:46 pm 

More rumoured rules for the vermin lords. From the Warhammer forum, quoted from somewhere else:

All have Daemon, Daemon attacks, L4 Wizard, 5+ ward, Large Target, ITP, Scurry Away, Terror.

Warpseer has the Doom Glaive (multiple wounds d3) and Scry Orb, which grants +1 Ward or can be thrown to make a I test or die small blast.
Warp Lightning is known spell with rerolls. Cheapest.

Deciever is clan Eshin linked, has Warp Stiletto (AP, poison) and Doomstar (S user, 12" poisoned attacks, quick to fire, Arcing Death)
Skitterleap as known spell. Cheapest

Corruptor- Pestilens linked. Plague Reaper pair- ASF rule.
Plague is known spell. Cheapest

Warbringer- Warlord Clans. Doomglaive and punch dagger (Killing Blow + d3 wounds. Death Frenzy as known spell. 25 slaves more than cheapest.

Lord Skreech- Doom Glaive (d3 wounds) and Plague Reaper (ASF) choose which to fight with at start of CC phase. Dreaded 13th is known spell. Most Expensive.

I quite like the look of the corruptor (A6 S6 I10 ASF, and re-rolls to cast plague…..now we are talking). 25 points more than a keeper with ASF sword for poison, +1W, +3 levels, re-roll casting of plague. Not bad at all, doesn’t even have to be the general (so wont give up 600 points when it cops a cannon ball).

Warpseer is okay as well. 4++ is nice, as is the doom glaive. This one is a straight buff to the current vermin lord.