[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Giants ? - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:40 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Giants ?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:43 am 

Just a question about giants.

Are they fun to use or more annoying to use due to randomness.

What are people's experiences like with a giant.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Giants ?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:49 am 

They are fun to use due to their randomness. :lol:

However, be aware that they get targeted by everything in the opposing army with a shooting attack as they are both worth a decent chunk of points and dont have an armour save. If your Giant makes it into combat, you're golden. Otherwise expect it to get cannoned off Turn 2 and for its corpse to fall on your units and squash them.

Kings of War - still rolling my dice and moving my mice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:22 am 

Can they march ???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:24 am 

Sure can. They are Monsters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:39 am 

As Casey says, they aren’t bad if they actually get to hit something…….the problem is being T5 with no armour.

Most people are bringing tools to crack 1+ armour (so typically wound a giant easily and make it dead), or they are bringing tools to blast elves (2D6 S4 magic missiles or equivalent are a favourite) and this also makes a giant dead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:41 am 

I guess if he draws cannon fire away from ironblast n other oger units for a turn or 2 the 200pt lose is well worth it and if they don't he'll kill stuff good ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:51 am 

The question is...is a giant more effective than other rare choices in an ogre list? Dual iron blasters will always be better as they can project their rage across the table. A giant cannot. However a giant is stubborn and has better leadership...causes terror tests so will never be WS1 from a failed fear test. working in pairs they can be really good.

Giants are great fun for casual fun games but they arent really competitive. Now if they had the option for a 4+ armour save or regen then they would be great.

PS a 200 point unit drawing fire from a 170 point unit is not a good deal.

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:54 am 

I don't rate the slave giant in Ogre kingdoms.

I like to take one with my orcs and Goblins because he can get a 6up ward save and its amazing the amount of times I have managed to save wounds with that. I think you have better units that you can spend the points on, scrap flinger, leadbealcher, bull unit.

I usually find with the giant that even when you do get him to combat he usally only has a couple of wounds left and with his low initiative most core units can strike first, roll a couple of 6's and kill him.
If you really want to use one don't throw him into big blocks of troops by himself, he is a support unit not a battleline breaker like they used to be in 7th.

oh and also don't forget to check if he falls over every time he takes a wound, lots of people forget this

Bahhh Rocdocta just ninja me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:24 pm 

I already have 2 ironblasts in my list and around 170pts to play with. Not a fan of scraplaunchers. Might proxy one for a few games n see how. I feel about one.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:43 pm 

Also I can get regen on the giant with gut kagic (new end times mean it doesn't really take away from ogers getting or If I bubble regen he can also benefit)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:04 pm 

Quote:
Also I can get regen on the giant with gut kagic (new end times mean it doesn't really take away from ogers getting or If I bubble regen he can also benefit)
that is true, but a natural armour save or non magic reliable regen would be handy.

170 point...why not some meaneaters?
- give them stubborn
- give them scouting or ItP
- give them a mix of GWs and xHW
- give them 5+ armour save ( i dont usually)
- use a muso
- more wounds, more attacks, more reliable

4 or 5 attacks each, impact hits, stomp, S5 or 7, init 3. I really rate these guys and they are out of your special allowance too.

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:35 pm 

I agree with the above - in terms of competitiveness a unit of maneaters would be better than a Giant. More wounds, more options and more dakka (close-range pistols in the face! :P ).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable