It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:30 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Interested in Fantasy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:42 pm 

Hey Fantasy people,

I have been casually playing fantasy for about a year now and would like to get into it a bit more. But first would like some information regarding the game.

Like, what to look out for or consider when writing a list for events, not looking to be overly competitive at first more to have a solid fun list that has a competitive edge while I learn the game.

Also how many events are there usually each year, as the events calendar for next season looks... well fairly slim of information at the moment.

What is the usual game size... 2400pts ??? is this likely to be increased due to the new supplements/rules.

Look forward to meting and getting to know some of you better.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:12 am 

Hello

Yes events do look a bit thin on the ground so far, but that’s probably due to dates not being set rather than events not planned.

The KRAGS guys have run three (I think) events each year for at least the last couple of years. I will most likely be running one at TGA in March or April (need to get around to actually talking to Cam and Adam about this!) Casey looks like she might be helping out with the Outpost crew who seem to be debating one or two single day events. Mitch and some of the other GW staff are in the process of writing a pack and sorting a venue for a February event. If all of those eventuate that would give us approximately seven events next year. Obviously I have made a lot of assumptions here!

2400 points is pretty standard, events seem to vary between 2000 – 2600 points for the most part.

As for list writing, there seem to be a couple of methods:

The first is to pack as much of the “best” stuff in a book into a list and get it as “optimised” as possible. This leads to the generation of netlists. It works to an extent, you can steam roll over someone if they are unprepared or don’t know how to handle a list.

I prefer going for an approach where I create a list of all the things that can be a serious threat if my list isn’t prepared for them (as opposed to my gameplay). Each of these items on the list tends to have several solutions, I will never be able to fit them all in so its down to me how I build a list to include what solutions in a way that fits my playstyle (I feel playstyle is a horribly understated part of list creation). Currently my list looks something like:

- can I catch/outlast avoidance elves
- can I deal with 3-4 large flyers (of which two will probably be frost phoenix’s)
- can I deal with a powerful wizard(s) hiding in a banner of the world dragon bunker
- can I deal with two steam tanks
- how vulnerable am I to cannons, do I even need to deal with them
- how do I control an uber character (Karl Franz, Malekith, etc)
- can I break through skaven
- how do I control a fast moving deathstar/ how do I control a deathstar I can NEVER fight
- can I get meaningful points out of a chaff heavy army

Depending on your play style the answers to these questions will vary wildly, and you may even have a different set of questions in the first place. However, if you have a theoretical answer to that lot you should be well on your way…..then you just have to learn all the on table tricks and traps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:32 am 

Ahhh, fresh meat. :lol: :P

Glad to have you aboard. Firstly, as Karl said, the events lists for Fantasy is slim pickings at the moment cause people are still deciding on what events are being held when. It should pick up after Christmas, but if I had to guess I would say that at least 5 events should be held for Fantasy at a minimum next year.

As for what you should take, it really depends on what army you play. Taking massed shooting in a Beastman army is probably not going to get you many wins, for instance! :P

Honestly I would just say take what you like the look of, then adjust the list to suit your playstyle - if you are aggressive then beef up your combat units, if you like a particular Magic lore then take more/ better wizards, etc. Similarly, dont go by what people tell you "will" and "wont" work, as just about any unit can be made to work in the role its designed for. As an example, I went through a hyper-aggressive phase with my Skaven and took a couple of Rat Ogre units in my tournament list because I like Rat Ogres in the fluff and I like combat. The internet will tell you that Rat Ogres suck, are the worst unit in the Skaven book and should never see the light of day, yet I managed to qualify for both Masters and the ETC using them.

In terms of "netlisting" I would honestly avoid it - it doesnt actually make people into good generals (and I would go so far as to say that jumping straight into a netlist actually turns people into poor generals in my experience). What generally happens is that you will smash face against so-so players, then someone who understands the mechanics of the game on a deep level will pick your netlist apart and you will be left wondering what the hell happened (and thus not really learn anything).

I hope some of this is somewhat helpful.

Kings of War - still rolling my dice and moving my mice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:19 am 

Kewl thanx guys.

I play Ogers :), like gnoblars :) and have what I think is a decent list that I'm working on, just need to get some models for it and play some games. (have a few counts as models at the moment as I have no $$$ to buy stuff.

My extent of the rules is very beginning levels and of armies is even less, learn best from playing then reading and yea just want to be able to give a good challenge to the big names at events.

I have experience at tournament play but that's in 40K, as I'm taking a break from 40k for awhile I just want to play fun games in a semi-competitive way.

Will post a list some time soon.

Cheers