[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
New WHFB FAQ and rules update - Page 2 - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:35 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:21 pm 

Quote:
I remember when 5th was referred to as "Herohammer". When you could take up to 50% as characters which included your unit champions. Now, after the minimal 25% core, why not take the other 75% as characters?
Bretonnians actually could under 5th ed.

If a person was to take a very expensive character then that means they are not taking another Unit (or 2 or 3) which means the character has less places to hide and more of my army targeting them. I think a few people will try it out (I'm tempted to try it with a Combat Vamp and a Mage Vamp) before finding it's not that feasible. I think most people will use it as an excuse to give the characters they already have a few more upgrades.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:27 pm 

The 50% thing? Meh. Whatever. Beardy players will be beardy. It's still not "Herohammer" even if you spend loads of points on Lords and Heroes. ("Herohammer" was when character models were dramatically over-effective, which simply spending more points on them doesn't achieve). I can't imagine it's much fun either (wargames are surely supposed to be about manoeuvring units around, not spending 75% of your points on two models and getting them in combat with your opponent's two equivalent models and rolling dice until someone wins?) but, meh, whatever. Anyone who'd take advantage of that to do something silly would probably just do something else silly if they couldn't do that.

But the entire world getting Lore of Undeath?

(1) Screw you Undead players, now everyone gets to play with the things that made your army special, because you are bad people and should feel bad!
(2) Screw the established background! All that stuff about magic being feared, and necromancers being ostracised, despised and hated? Naaaaaaaw, it's thirty years of background writing where we were only joking, really everyone likes necromancy! Teclis? Sure, he can be a necromancer! All the Slann? Why not! Yep, it's true, everyone likes sharing their social time with corpses, necromancers are great people really. Join the Danse Macabre! (Oh no wait we don't call it that now because evocative spell names might scare people away). Necromancy for all!*

* Except Dwarfs. More options for everyone, but not Dwarfs.

In summary I welcome the increase to heroes and lords for it now allows us to fit all the hero choices that I want, and not force me to take a sorcerer prophet for magic (which in my case has always been an issue because I could never find the points for 2 lvl 2s with items+bsb+tauruk+khan would always be 100 pts over) Now essentially my LoA armies will have 100-200 points left over to put in extra toys.

The malevolent Over-Master Zhudhak Ironbull, famed for riding into battle on Abyss's most fierce Abyssal Dragon - Cacus the fire breathing giant.

Outpost6030 I challenge you!!

Last edited by Wolf on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:23 pm 

Quote:
I can't imagine it's much fun either (wargames are surely supposed to be about manoeuvring units around, not spending 75% of your points on two models and getting them in combat with your opponent's two equivalent models and rolling dice until someone wins?) but, meh, whatever.

Warma/hordes, Malifaux, Infinity, Spartan Games all fit that description and their market is growing and growing. A leading theory is that since 8th lead to high model count/high cost 9th might return to a lower model count to recapture that market.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:55 pm 

It really does sound like the end times.
People just need to chill. Change happens in our game ALL OF THE TIME!
It's what keeps the game and story interesting. I would fully recommend that any body that has an issue with the changes to the game, or the background, read the new background material from the Nagash book.
It explains the reasoning behind the changes to the Lords/Heroes composition, as well as the introduction of the spell lore for all.

Seriously, just read it, then you can complain about what you don't like.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:19 am 

Quote:
It really does sound like the end times.
People just need to chill. Change happens in our game ALL OF THE TIME!
It's what keeps the game and story interesting. I would fully recommend that any body that has an issue with the changes to the game, or the background, read the new background material from the Nagash book.
It explains the reasoning behind the changes to the Lords/Heroes composition, as well as the introduction of the spell lore for all.

Seriously, just read it, then you can complain about what you don't like.
Which is why I also said:
Quote:
There are both good things and bad things about this ruling. I am unsure as to how I feel at this stage. But them's the rules, we just play by them.
The more I think about it, the more I am interested in it. I remember with fondness the seven knights scenario, which you could do, with a small core force to make it legal. At the end of the day, I might take a break from Warhammer, but I doubt I will ever stop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:43 pm 

Quote:
Warma/hordes, Malifaux, Infinity, Spartan Games all fit that description and their market is growing and growing. A leading theory is that since 8th lead to high model count/high cost 9th might return to a lower model count to recapture that market.
This is Warhammer, mass armies marching against another mighty army to wage war. Low model count, sounds very much like Mordhiem, skirmish battles.

I've read the fluff, which is really well done, but let's be honest nercomancers for all. You can write the fluff anyway you want the fact remains anyone can raise the dead??

It's an evil act, yet now it's a passing phase of yeah let's use them walking dead to fight our enemy, forces of order, forces of destruction naaaaw everyone can field an army of everything.

It's like 40K Grey Knights going on a crusade to destroy the forces of Chaos and defeat them once and for all, oh wait I'm loosing the battle hey I have an idea lets just summon some Deamons to beat them. What a great idea, that makes perfect sense.

The malevolent Over-Master Zhudhak Ironbull, famed for riding into battle on Abyss's most fierce Abyssal Dragon - Cacus the fire breathing giant.

Outpost6030 I challenge you!!