It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Unboxing Puppet Wars
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:38 am 

So earlier this week I received my copy of Puppet Wars and haveing been involved in its development I was super keen to see the final product

The main game and Multiplayer expansion plus booster packs. Unfortunately the packages was a little bit of a let down for me as the main game box is made of the same weight card as the Malifaux crew boxes so not super heavy weight, it means something better is going to be needed for long term transport (not an issue for me as I was looking at picking up a KR case just for puppet wars). The other slight disappointment is the lack of a photo of the contents on the bakc or something to that effect, just a list plus the puppet artwork, looks good but not overly 'boardgamey'.

Contents of box

Effect tokens, once again I would have liked these to have been a little heavier in weight and or doublesided, nice but I am going to make my own here as well or make these a bit more durable.

The gameboard, puppet decks and tokens.
Cant fault any of these. the board is quite small but then again the puppets are too, the hexes are a 30mm inscribed hex so your 30mm Malifaux bases will juuuust fit on the board otherwise use the lovely little 20mm bases that 'clip' inside the rolled edge of the 30mm RS bases of most Malifaux models.

Puppet Decks are what i know and love in plastic and with great artwork.

tokens are plain but durable plastic and represent workbenches and impassable objects in game, they could look prettier but it would have cost a lot more and they serve their purpose.

Stat cards are great, good size, clear and good artwork

On the reverse side of a puppets stat card is their 'upgrade' side where you can instead of bringing a puppet into play upgrade an existing puppet with different abilities.

The box minus decks, cards etc has a nice foam insert but not much use if you intend to paint your puppets.
But theres 2 puppet wars temporary tattoos!

Puppets!Puppets!Puppets!
There are loads of these little guys and most are one piece with the odd one being multiple pieces but still easy to assemble mostly without glue. This is where I see the game as a miniature based boardgame and not just a boardgame, if the puppets were plastic like the old space crusade/heroquest games with each suit type puppet in a different colour and just clip off a sprue I could see a greater appeal to pure boardgamers. It hasnt put me off but you will need to prep the puppets like any metal model before painting etc.

There are two books, the rulebook and pattern book. Both look great and are very clear big + from me.

clearly laid out sample from rulebook

The pattern book has quick start rules adding in more complex rules as you go. It also conatins alternate win conditions and play styles such as 'Tag youre IT!" and king of the hill type scenarios too.

In addition the pattern book has a heap of different maps for different qty of players, you arent limited to just these maps and can make your own as well. puppet-wars.com also has a make your own map section where you can design your won map and save it too so replayablity and customisation will be great

Overall Puppet Wars leaves a pretty good impression and I know I will get a lot out of the purchase, yes some things could have been better done in packaging but thats about it. Its a good initial release and there will be more puppets on the way.

Stay tuned for a Player review soon ...

Wyrd Henchman

Post subject: Re: Unboxing Puppet Wars
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:43 am 

Cool, I'm keen to hear how this plays out.

I'm hoping it might be something I could pop down to TGA for from time to time. :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:49 am 

Must resist purchase...

The contents look pretty cool, especially the stat cards 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:12 am 

I managed to get all that incl postage for a touch over $150 from defiant (yes admittedly using a promo code) so its not too expensive. Speaking to Tactics they were looking at selling for $100-$110 for main game.

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:32 am 

That's including all the boosters yes? That's not too bad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:42 am 

Yes including all the boosters and multiplayer expansion

Wyrd Henchman