Some of my highlights from last year:
- Pre PAX dinner at Mamasitas in Melbourne city. Holy crud that was amazing Mexican food. Really fun night.
- Amazingly, the queue at the entrance waiting to get in on day 1! We were lined up for over an hour, but everyone there was just so pumped that it ended up being incredibly fun. From pass & play games on Simmo's iPad, to a ton of inflatable balls being launched into the crowd, to general con goer shenanigans, it was just ace.
- Storytime with Ron Gilbert for the keynote presentation. Dude is an utter legend. Hugely inspiring speech about the virtue of creativity and succeeding at it.
- Tycho getting attacked by a man sized drop bear during the Penny Arcade Q&A. That was some funny stuff.
- Everything Rooster Teeth.
- 3DS Street Passing like a bawse!
- The indy pavillion at the expo hall. So many great companies with awesome and unique games.
- Pin Trading. It's a thing at PAX. If you go, you will understand.
- The mountainous games library from which to borrow for play in the main hall.
- eSports insanity. The Riot Games pavilion had like a gazillion people clustered around it at all times.
- Late nights playing games and talking junk every night in our apartment.
- The Giant Jenga Omegethon final during the closing ceremony. So epic.
- And too many other memories to count.
The schedule for this year's event hasn't been released yet, but I suspect it will start coming within the next couple of weeks. They did a phone app last year which did the job really well. I'm currently seeing lots of twitter activity from people who are involved in panels and there looks like a great selection available this year. Certainly a bunch I'm looking forward to checking out.
Last year the bunch of us that went over found it really helpful to communicate as a group in the leadup to the event (as well as during and after) using "Whatsapp
". It's a handy little app you can get for smartphones and it allows you to do real time group communication really well. Chatting about what we were excited for as well as sharing general info was really fun last year, so we're going to do it again. If you're coming over for the event - download the app and drop me a line and I'll add you onto the group chat.