[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
PAX Australia 2014 - Pre-PAX Banquet! - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:38 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

We are now just under a month and a half away from...
And I could not possibly be more excited!

If you've never heard of PAX before, then than means you're probably not going and I feel bad for you. But if you wanna know, it's pretty much the best event ever to happen to gaming in Australia and it's on this year (it's 2nd year in Aus) in Melbourne from Oct 31st - Nov 2nd. Loads more info here.

I went over for the first year last year with - as it turns out - a sizeable posse of WA folk. It was absolutely frigging AMAZING. Like many people in WA (excepting lucky jerks like Simmo & Rathnard) I've never had the pleasure of travelling overseas to a huge con like the US Comic Con or Gencon, but PAX is as big as it gets in our country for this kind of thing and maaaan is it sensational. This year we have the same core group of WestGamer and other WA folk going over, with a ton of new faces. I'll put a list here and keep adding to it as I become aware of more:

- Me
- Gambit (Simmo)
- Olly
- Advanceop (Dave C) + family
- Infinious (Jason)
- Paulfrank (James)
- Wyldcarde (Dave H) + wife
- Caveman (Simeon)
- V (Garth, who will be there exhibiting for Stirfire Studios)
- Russia (Christian)
- Thorhorsemen (Gary)
- Timmy{Matt} (Matt)
- Tons more gaming folk I know from off the forums

The event was held at the Melbourne showgrounds last year, but this year has moved into a new venue at the Crown complex which is like 3x the size. It'll be muuuuch better there as last year was PACKED.

I'll be flying in on the 7:30 Qantas flight leaving Perth on the morning of Thursday the 30th. I think Olly, Simmo and Dave C are on the same flight. No doubt others too.

So, if you're going - let us know and join the posse! We'll be doing a huge pre PAX dinner meetup (which is planned as an ongoing tradition) on the Thursday night before the event to kick off the fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Some of my highlights from last year:

- Pre PAX dinner at Mamasitas in Melbourne city. Holy crud that was amazing Mexican food. Really fun night.
- Amazingly, the queue at the entrance waiting to get in on day 1! We were lined up for over an hour, but everyone there was just so pumped that it ended up being incredibly fun. From pass & play games on Simmo's iPad, to a ton of inflatable balls being launched into the crowd, to general con goer shenanigans, it was just ace.
- Storytime with Ron Gilbert for the keynote presentation. Dude is an utter legend. Hugely inspiring speech about the virtue of creativity and succeeding at it.
- Tycho getting attacked by a man sized drop bear during the Penny Arcade Q&A. That was some funny stuff. :lol:
- Everything Rooster Teeth.
- 3DS Street Passing like a bawse!
- The indy pavillion at the expo hall. So many great companies with awesome and unique games.
- Pin Trading. It's a thing at PAX. If you go, you will understand.
- MERCH!
- The mountainous games library from which to borrow for play in the main hall.
- eSports insanity. The Riot Games pavilion had like a gazillion people clustered around it at all times.
- Late nights playing games and talking junk every night in our apartment.
- The Giant Jenga Omegethon final during the closing ceremony. So epic.
- And too many other memories to count.

The schedule for this year's event hasn't been released yet, but I suspect it will start coming within the next couple of weeks. They did a phone app last year which did the job really well. I'm currently seeing lots of twitter activity from people who are involved in panels and there looks like a great selection available this year. Certainly a bunch I'm looking forward to checking out.

Last year the bunch of us that went over found it really helpful to communicate as a group in the leadup to the event (as well as during and after) using "Whatsapp". It's a handy little app you can get for smartphones and it allows you to do real time group communication really well. Chatting about what we were excited for as well as sharing general info was really fun last year, so we're going to do it again. If you're coming over for the event - download the app and drop me a line and I'll add you onto the group chat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:11 am 

I am pumped!!!!

I'm actually interested to see how many R18+ games are there. Last year there was one, and it booth looked like a peeps how booth as they couldn't let anyone see inside the booth unless they lined up......

Now that R18+ games are a thing, I wonder if there will be a whole section of the exhibition floor walled off for R18+ games.

Dead Island 2 playable demo is rumored to be at PAX so that has me excited!!

Oh, and Uncanny Xmen Marvel Dice Masters is pencilled for launch pre-PAX which will be great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:10 am 

I'm not spending a lot of time at PAX but I'll be at the Star Citizen event and meet and greet on the Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:23 am 

I purchased my tickets then found out I am an exam on the friday :( , let me know if anyone needs a friday pax ticket :).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm not spending a lot of time at PAX but I'll be at the Star Citizen event and meet and greet on the Friday.
I assume that's at the event? So, 1 day pass?
Quote:
I purchased my tickets then found out I am an exam on the friday :( , let me know if anyone needs a friday pax ticket :).
Spew. I assume you're flying over on Friday night then?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:59 am 

I think they have a booth at Pax, but on the Friday there is a Beer Garden meet and greet (a tradition started by German Backers) and then a Star Citizen event where they will be revealing the FPS module (the pre-alpha at least).

As I'm in Melbourne for the above I will be at Pax on Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:08 am 

Location: Underneath Parliament House with a lot of explosives
So this is the biggest thing in the year for me. Well, that an showing off the new game that we are just weeks away from launching!

We have been crunching on the final release of our commission project, Dead End Alley. We have a surprise in store for our booth as well. Come visit, support us, WA games dev and all the other indies. Remember that without the community, there is no games development in Australia.

If everything goes according to plan, I will be attending UNITE and GCAP ahead of PAX with my crew as well.

And now http://store.steampowered.com/app/540010

Current Status: Being a fierce game dev warrior.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:40 am 

I'm flying to Melbourne at 05.30 Thursday and staying at a venue which is in easy staggering distance to Pax and the CIG event.

I'm pretty sure Matt Davey and some of his online friends from SA are also going to be there for Pax.

I've got a Friday and Sunday pass (CIG confirmed they were attending too late for me to get a three day pass) and I didn't make my mind up early enough about going and Saturday was sold out.

My Ausmonauts (Star Citizen Organisation) shirts should be arriving soon so I'll be suitably attired for the events :oops:

Last edited by Thorhorsemen on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:08 pm 

Pretty dark to be missing this.

Last year was such an epic weekend and got to see so many things and meet so many random people. Absolute hilarity. Even better was getting to catch up with all the WA guys and girls that came over for it also.

Says a great deal that it has moved to a larger better equipped venue that this style of Con is something that Australia had been crying out for. I hope that this years continues to thrive and get the support of the local community both in terms of attendance, major sponsors, indie developers, and local stores.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:30 pm 

Do you want me to get you some pins JJ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:21 pm 

Yes. Yes I do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:11 am 

Quote:
Yes. Yes I do.
I will do my best!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:22 am 
Site Admin

MASSIVE roundup update posted today on Guy 'Yug' Blomberg's Blog (Aus PAX Boss) about what's happening at PAX AUS this year!

Here's a summary of the highlights announced so far:

- Storytime keynote with Pete Hines from Bethesda (makers of games like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Wolfenstein to name a few)
- Musical guests like MC Frontalot, 7-Bit Hero and Paul & Storm!
- Nearly 3 times more panel space than last year (wooo!)
- The launch of the Aussie edition of Cards Against Humanity!
- More Occulus Rift VR showcases than you can poke a virtual stick at
- Over 60 Australia/New Zealand game developers showcasing their games
- Well over twice as many publishers as last year, not including individual big name developers who are making the trip over
Various panels, including:
- PENNY ARCADE PANELS (Q&A, MAKE A STRIP)
- ROOSTER TEETH (these guys were awesome last year)
- THE REALITIES OF WRITING ABOUT GAMES
- TALKING FUNNY: COMEDY AND VIDEO GAMES
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE COSPLAY CELEBRITY
- INSIDE GEARBOX SOFTWARE (definitely hitting this one up for Borderlands goodness!)
And heaps more...

Seriously, if you're going - check out the link above. There's some sweet stuff announced so far.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:56 am 

Yes!

The main reason I'm heading over is because I now have a new another vice, Star Citizen https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ :mrgreen:

I've now secured tickets to all the events I especially want to see. There is a meet and greet on Friday and a Citizen only event on Saturday, tickets were some what limited but I have secured one for each event.

So I'm all set for some geeky goodness, though I just need to secure a Saturday badge. I wonder if I could get an international pass? I mean I have to fly further than someone flying from Wellington or Auckland :wink: