[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Online X-wing Tournament: the 2014 TC Open - Page 14 - WestGamer
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:47 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:58 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
With no time restrictions, what stops people cutting out manoeuvre templates for there screens and using them during a game. I don't have a pic so no vassal for me.
Honesty :)

It's not like you are playing for $, this is just a big friendly tourney. There is no reason to cheat like that.
There is never a reason to cheat and I do believe that in this game the best rise to the top, you still have to pick the right manoeuvre and predict correctly what your opponent is doing. That said reference sheets for manoeuvres in game play is against the spirit of the game too and FFG have banned set up templates as well. Sometimes people like the competition so much that the term WAC was coined. In this format I'm not even sure that any of that would be considered cheating as there is no way to police it. With out looking into (dos I can't play on vassal) have they even said for vassal tournaments that you can't do this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:09 pm 

Quote:
That said reference sheets for manoeuvres in game play is against the spirit of the game
First time i have ever heard anything like that. Did FFG ban maneuvre reference sheets?

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

Dystopian Wars June 2013 Campaign TFR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:25 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
That said reference sheets for manoeuvres in game play is against the spirit of the game
First time i have ever heard anything like that. Did FFG ban maneuvre reference sheets?
I believe that it's currently under review and on a post about them it was stated that it was not in the spirit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:33 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I believe that it's currently under review and on a post about them it was stated that it was not in the spirit.
Well, a post on the ffg forums doesn't really mean anything unless the designers are involved.

If it comes up in the official ruling then fine, until then it's each to his own as to what the "spirit of the game" is.

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:47 pm 

[quote
I believe that it's currently under review and on a post about them it was stated that it was not in the spirit.[/quote]

Well, a post on the ffg forums doesn't really mean anything unless the designers are involved.

If it comes up in the official ruling then fine, until then it's each to his own as to what the "spirit of the game" is.[/quote]
I believe it was ffg that posted that

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:21 pm 

Do you know what they're talking about? There's a reference sheet for manouvres in every xwing model box they sell.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:01 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I think it would be against the spirit of the game to not share your reference sheets, eh Alex? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:40 am 

Quote:
Do you know what they're talking about? There's a reference sheet for manouvres in every xwing model box they sell.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think it would be against the spirit of the game to not share your reference sheets, eh Alex? :mrgreen:
Yes I do know what they are talking about. It's not a reference guide to each ships movement dial, it's reference sheets as to what to set each dial too when your ships are
1 in y set up and what to set your dials to to end up in x position
2 in the middle of a joust
3 when your ships could bump and what to set your dials to so you can end up with the best position without bumps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:09 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You were winning, you didn't need any help! :P

:D

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:45 pm 

I really don't see the issue with people having movement 'cheat-sheets' or setup templates. I have a number of little 'cheats' (mostly just how big each of the movement templates are in terms of ship bases) that I've memorised, and I don't see much issue with someone else having similar things written down. As far as I'm concerned if it's something you can memorises anyway there's really no point in banning it.

Also if you guys aren't all X-winged out from the vassal tournament, Goodgames St James is running a weekly league every Monday night.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:49 pm 

X-Winged out? Nevah, sir!

Got me a game in another tourney this afternoon at 4pm - UK/IRL based tournament that Matt and I have entered (us both being of British origin made us eligible). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:22 pm 

Quote:
I really don't see the issue with people having movement 'cheat-sheets' or setup templates. I have a number of little 'cheats' (mostly just how big each of the movement templates are in terms of ship bases) that I've memorised, and I don't see much issue with someone else having similar things written down. As far as I'm concerned if it's something you can memorises anyway there's really no point in banning it.

Also if you guys aren't all X-winged out from the vassal tournament, Goodgames St James is running a weekly league every Monday night.
What your referring to is a skill. 1 the ability to memorise the movement templates size in relation to a ships base ,2 the ablity to estimate the final positions of a move with certain template that would leave you with the desired outcome. 3 judging correctly distance's with your eyes. Ffg have made it clear that you only get to measure when you target lock and shoot. All else is made as a prediction, that involves skill in its self. Once you start to remove the human factors and apply set measures and movement guide cheet sheets than you are removing the level of required skill involved to play the game or adding a potential advantage to one player and not the other.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:45 pm 

Quote:

100% agree with you here.

The only caveat I have is that it must not slow the play down. But that's why I time myself now :P

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:47 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

100% agree with you here.

The only caveat I have is that it must not slow the play down. But that's why I time myself now :P
That would be because you use said movement guides correct. Are you saying the skill required of a player to chose his movements correctly so he don't bum his own ships is irrelevant? Being as swarm player getting your actions off because you have placed the right movement on each dial is very powerfull plus it requires skill. Removing that need for skill from one player is an unfair advantage as the other player is not having such help. It's more or less having someone looking over your shoulder and saying set this movement dial to this set that movement dial to that

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:20 pm 

As a tie swarm player Myself i get a kick out of nailing the manouveres correctly as see it as part of the rewarding aspect of this game, that rewards good flying technique & punishes mistakes. I see it as a skill picked up with practice.
I do not think having a manoeuvres cheat sheet of formations etc should be allowed.
In a casual game fine. In a tournament setting. No way.
No different to pre measuring ship manouveres which is not allowed.

Olly
Roleplayer09
Wolflord

Revenge shall be mine!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next