[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
3 WA Players in the Xwing Galactic World Cup - Page 7 - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:28 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 912 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:36 pm 

Well I'm not sure if that's exactly what Matt means, but what he did was deploy in a very tight formation (nearly base to base) facing a table side, then moved forward towards said side and hard turned reaaaally close to the edge. What the basically did was force the play in a corner of the mat, where the Interceptors' maneuvrability and speed meant less and where Matt's turrets had a lots of targets (and he managed a couple of range 1 shots too). I think there also is some timing involved, he managed to land just in front of his opponent's ships.

It's also great with Ions, you have a chance to force a ship to fly off the board when playing close to the edges (thinking of it, pretty sure Matt tried something like that against me once :P ).

You should get Vassal and check it out Olly, was a really good game :)

And lol at Ackbar :lol:

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

Dystopian Wars June 2013 Campaign TFR

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:51 pm 

Quote:
Well I'm not sure if that's exactly what Matt means, but what he did was deploy in a very tight formation (nearly base to base) facing a table side, then moved forward towards said side and hard turned reaaaally close to the edge. What the basically did was force the play in a corner of the mat, where the Interceptors' maneuvrability and speed meant less and where Matt's turrets had a lots of targets (and he managed a couple of range 1 shots too). I think there is also some timing involved, he managed to land just in front of his opponent's ships.

It's also great with Ions, you have a chance to force a ship to fly off the board when playing close to the edges (thinking of it, pretty sure Matt tried something like that against me once :P ).

You should get Vassal and check it out Olly, was a really good game :)

And lol at Ackbar :lol:
Can't the opponent just sit back and wait for you to get out of the corner?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:54 pm 

Against a different list possibly, but then there's nothing stopping you from sitting back as well and Kturning in your deployment zone until the ducks arrive.

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:58 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
But yes, the question for me is now: which list do I take?
Don't worry too much about winning at the list stage. I'd recommend instead you take the list you know best, and the one you'll look most pro using when 100 people watch Theorist's latest replay.
:shock:

... so no pressure then. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:25 pm 

It's the opposite of pressure, you can't go wrong.
If you lose, it was to Theorist. No big deal.
If you win, you beat Theorist! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:54 am 

Oh snap!! iain3 beat atomicboxer - Parkis is ours for the taking, Alex!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 am 

Unless Theorist takes a 4th win ;) No pressure Gregg :D

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 pm 

Quote:
Oh snap!! iain3 beat atomicboxer - Parkis is ours for the taking, Alex!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
That was a good match. Iain played a simple, solid game with nothing really fancy but no major mistakes with any of his moves. And atomicboxer pushed his Carnor off the board in an attempt to avoid 3 HLCs. Ouch, I can't blame him for being unhappy with the result.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:45 am 

Got my game against BlueIceArcher in 10minutes, fingers crossed.

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:31 pm 

How'd you go?? :)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:51 pm 

Absolutely EPIC 4h30 minutes game :mrgreen:

And I took the win with a single tie left on 1hp, when really I shouldn't have!

He took his Elite Tie list, with Jax+shield+ptl, Dark Curse, Mauler, and Kagi with Sensor Jammers. A horrible list to face with a Tie swarm.

Anyway, he was happily mopping the floor with me. It came down to Jax on 2hp + the shuttle against a single tie on 1hp. I was that close to concede, but figured what the hell, let's let him finish me. I push forward with a fwd3 thinking Jax will hard turn (and hoping to crash into him), but instead he banks and hits an asteroid, right in front of my tie. He takes a crit from the rock, and the tie miraculously manages to strip Jax's last Hp. From then on, the Tie just hanged around the shuttle's rear, stripping point after point, and eventually destroyed it!

Insane game. I was getting really hammered. I was pretty gutted too because I deployed pretty well and didn't hit a single roid all game, and my earlier luck was atrocious. However, I did mess up a couple of moves: I had the opportunity to block Jax when I still had 4 Ties left, but misjudged the distance and did a bank 3 where i should have done a 2, and crashed in the shuttle. Jax escaped my trap and i thought that's it, I'll never get another opportunity like this. Turns out I did :)

Here is the log if you are interested:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e47juui86m4oo ... 40517.vlog

(Note: we had to restart the game because he couldn't see the map, and there were a few isues with the logs. I managed to stitch them up but you can't see the damage cards. No big deal though as we kept track of damage on our ships, and you can see the crits in the chat).

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:08 pm 

Great work, man! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:09 pm 

Cheers :D

When is your game?

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:19 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
That was a good match. Iain played a simple, solid game with nothing really fancy but no major mistakes with any of his moves. And atomicboxer pushed his Carnor off the board in an attempt to avoid 3 HLCs. Ouch, I can't blame him for being unhappy with the result.
Just watched this, and yes flying Jax off the board was a blow! Maybe he should have tried his luck against 1 or 2 Bwings at range1...

And you were looking for a good example of PTL Interceptor, I think that qualifies. Sure Jake didn't win, but the way he maneuvred around those BWings for 5+ turns was quite impressive.

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:49 am 

Quote:
Unless Theorist takes a 4th win ;) No pressure Gregg :D
Quote:
We’ve got 24 divisions with the two best players of each division advancing to the elimination rounds as per the tournament rules, resulting in 48 players.
Quote:
After my inexplicable meltdown against Iain3 with him match my 3-1 record, I thought I would almost definitely not advance — but it’s 2 from each pod not 1, and until you mentioned it I didn’t know. I’d skipped over that detail somehow. I still have to beat Doobleg to secure my spot for sure, but I’m certainly OK with fighting for my chances!
No pressure Gregg :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 912 Next