[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
3 WA Players in the Xwing Galactic World Cup - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:15 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:59 am 

Coming soon to a galaxy near you – the first 3++ X-Wing Tournament.

http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/03/the-fi ... ournament/

Fantasy Flight's X-Wing continues to grow in popularity, and if you haven't yet it is probably time you gave it a try. What I have seen locally is that players are drawn to the game are three things: it's Starwars, it has great models, and everyone who plays it seems to be having a good time.
I don't know if I'll personally ever take a game with a mere two to eight models as seriously as a grand-scale tabletop wargame, but when it comes to pure, simple unadulterated fun X-Wing really has got it right.

To kick X-Wing's coverage up a notch for the tournament-gamers who frequent 3++ will soon be running their first Tournament, using the latest Vassal software to allow people from diverse locations to play. Entry is free, commitment is low at just 1 Game per week over 4 weeks, and do not worry about winning or losing – this is just an invitation to have some fun!

If we could get a couple players to represent WA that would be great.

The new Vassal X-Wing

X-Wing on Vassal has come a long way – a really long way. Thanks to the tireless efforts of some really talented designers and progammers (credits below, but especially Muon) who put tens of man-hours into this in order to make it workable for international tournaments and gamers from around the world, X-Wing on vassal is extremely playable. It's about 20 times easier and smoother to play than 40K ever was on Vassal, which is to say it's almost user-friendly.

It's not as good as playing with the actual models on an actual tabletop with actual people, but as a way to try your luck against a greatly expanded “meta” of players it is a terrific tool.

Since my original article Diving in to X-Wing it has been improved, tweaked and streamlined in every way.
Old and functional:
New and gorgeous:

The Tournament Format

The initial 3++ Xwing tournament will consciously be kept to a minimal size as a test case for future events. I hope to get 12-16 players to sign up for 4 games (1st round random, from then on seeded) for a tournament that will require them to play just 1 game per week.

To be eligible you must:

Own a physical copy of the X-Wing rules and some official Fantasy Flight models
[] For legal reasons, but also because you'd be mad not to own at least the X-Wing starter box

Have the latest version of Vassal
[] See links below

Have played X-Wing on Vassal at least once before the event begins
[] Some people don't like playing on vassal; I'd rather they found this out before signing up.

Be in the GMT+7 to GMT+10 Time Zones
[] (eg Perth and China are +8, Sydney is +10, Indonesia is +7) This is to facilitate ease of arranging matchup times. Apologies to international players this will exclude, but Australia and Asia haven't really been catered for as yet. And these time zones do include a fifth of the world's population.

The time-zones are key to making the games easy to organise; you need to be in that time zone band, or make a very convincing case for your availability during them.
Guide to playing Xwing on Vassal

http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/articles.h ... assal-r118
Note that this guide is a little out of date, but everything that has changed has been made simpler so it is still a great place to learn the ropes.

Where to get the latest files

Module:Star Wars: X-Wing
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module ... tures_Game
Star_Wars_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game-5.0.1.vmod

If you'd like fancy background maps to play on (note: you do) also get:

Gabriel's_Map_Pack_-5.0.0.vmdx
Crazy_Toms_Playmats_-5.0.0.vmdx
Yagyu's_Map_Pack_-5.0.0.vmdx

Credits: Mu0n, Gabriel Velasquez, silentubiquity, Theorist and others

As mentioned, the number of places in this initial event will be limited. Sign ups will open on Wednesday the 2nd April, but feel free to register interest in advance.

If you'd like to arrange a test game to try it all out, you can also post below, or get the software and go looking for opponents online. Be warned, many of them will be regional finalists and tournament winners and the games will be harder than you may be used to at a local club, but that's what makes it such a great opportunity to improve your own piloting skills.

Click HERE: http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/03/the-fi ... ournament/

Last edited by Matt-ShadowLord on Thu May 01, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:03 am 
Site Admin

I might be up for this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 am 

Count me in! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:07 am 

Awesome. Vassal does take a bit of getting used to, but once you learn a few shortcut keys and how to put the windows so everything fits on your screen it is actually pretty good.
If you'd like a practise game once you have the software just let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:42 am 

I'm interested too. Will see if I can free up the time for this :)

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

Dystopian Wars June 2013 Campaign TFR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:49 pm 

Saving a Squadron in Vassal

Saved squadrons can increase your play time significantly, but many users struggle with this. Here is a simple, step by step method to save a squadron:

1. Open a new game with a blank map. Do this even if you have to play an offline game, whatever. Its easiest with the 3×3 basic map.
2. Pull all your cards, dials, ships, and chits onto the map (not into your hand).
3. Stat up your ships, name all the pieces needed.
4. Arrange everything so all components are easily visible.
5. Drag a box around all of your pieces by right clicking in an area to the upper left of your stuff and holding the button until you are at the lower right of your stuff. Release. You have now selecting everything, and the bases of your ships should appear slightly cloudier than before.
6. Go to File > Begin Logfile. Name it something you can remember in a place you will know where to find it.
7. Press CTRL-D to delete all of your stuff.
8. Do not freak out about losing minutes worth of preparations.
9. Press the UNDO button in the upper left corner of the Vassal controls window. (I think this step is missed my many users.)
10. See – its all back.
11. File > End Logfile. It may ask for a short description.

You have now saved a squadron! This calls for the first portion of a happy dance. But you will really cut a rug once you make sure it saved properly and you can load it at will.

Second problem: loading a saved squadron.

Once you have the squadron saved, you can reload it quickly with the following steps.

1. Once you are in the game, select File > Load Continuation.
2. Select your saved file.
3. You should see a messaging indicating your file has loaded in the chat window.
4. Press the small square button to the right of the UNDO button in the main window.

5. Press it again, its OK.
6. You may now see your squadron and a message indicating it was successful, do you want to start another log file.
7. Dance the rest of your happy dance.
8. Don’t take too long dancing – we have a game to play!
- See more at: http://teamcovenant.com/wbalvanz/2013/0 ... QC81D.dpuf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:26 am 

Sign ups open today. If you want to join in just make sure you've installed and at least tried vassal xwing before signups close in a couple of days.
Remember you don't have to be all that terrific on vassal/xwing going in to the event. I wasn't when I signed up for my first :D

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:28 am 

I've installed it, but am yet to try it. How about a demo game tonight? :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Where are the signups being done? Here in thread ok? If so - put me down.

Also, what's the expectations around game times? I'm generally only going to be available later in the evening. Good for WA - not so much for East Coast opponents...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:02 am 

http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/03/the-fi ... ournament/
(Registration is not required to post)
Quote:
Also, what's the expectations around game times? I'm generally only going to be available later in the evening. Good for WA - not so much for East Coast opponents...
Games can be any evening or weekend during the week, so there is reasonable flexibility. From what I've seen at these events before people are usually flexible about trying to accommodate opponents. NSW is +3 (so our 8pm = their 11pm), and the player from Japan and the US say they will play on our time zone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:03 am 

Quote:
I've installed it, but am yet to try it. How about a demo game tonight? :)
I'll let you know if I can arrange this. Also feel free to log on at any time and see if there are games in progress; most people like an audience.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:29 pm 

3++ X-Wing Tournament – Sign ups are now Open

http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/04/3-x-wi ... -now-open/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:18 pm 

Lists will be submitted to and compiled by a the completely impartial Kirby by Midnight Saturday

Information needed from players:

Your name
Your 100pt list
Your Region and Time Zone (eg USA GMT -8)
A contact email address players can use to arrange game times with you (this will usually be the email address from which you email Kirby)

Send this information to kirbys40kblog@gmail.com

The first round pairings will be assigned by Kirby, and will be completely random (no imperial vs rebel weighting).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:05 am 

Hey Matt, for the Vassal download, is the latest module (5.0.5) sufficient for the game? Or do I need to download the previous Extension files too?

Also, how does one install the map packs once they've been downloaded?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:55 am 

All you need is the 5.0.5 vmod (it's a new version updated a few days ago)
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module ... tures_Game

You can add the map modules, but they are optional. I recommend them because some of them are really good looking.
To install them, just create a folder in your vassal directory called Star_Wars_X-Wing_Miniatures_Game-5.0.5_ext and put them in it.