It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:56 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Firestorm Armada
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:16 pm 

I am just wondering if many people have played this at all?

I've had a flick through the rules a bit and am pretty fond of the models but I'm curious about
i) how it plays (quickly but vaguely, slowly with lots of detail, etc )
ii) if there is much of a following in perth

I am fairly keen to get into the game but would rather have a game or two to get an idea of it rather than just leaping in to it.

Post subject: Re: Firestorm Armada
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:06 am 

Since it is based on the same system as Uncharted Seas, if you have played that, you have almost played Firestorm. The basic rules are very easy to learn, although once you attempt to read the attack craft section your head will explode.

The game flows very well (the turn sequence is similar to Malifaux; I activate a squadron, you activate a squadron, etc), and the 6 again dice mechanic means that the game can end rather quickly if your opponents dice are on fire. Which brings me to the only real negative point of the game; it is heavily based on luck. If your opponent rolls like a god, it is game over for you.

Overall I do prefer it to BFG as it does play fast, looks impressive (the battleships are HUGE ) and never bogs down as BFG is sometimes does.

I know of 4 people that play it (including myself) so as far as my knowledge goes, it isn't that popular.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:52 pm 

Quote:
Since it is based on the same system as Uncharted Seas, if you have played that, you have almost played Firestorm. The basic rules are very easy to learn, although once you attempt to read the attack craft section your head will explode.
I got the impression both games would be very similar but I haven't played either so no help there :(
The rules section did seem okay for the most part but there were parts to it that looked like the were a bit of a mind bender, especially attack craft and point defence.

[/quote="eckythump"]Overall I do prefer it to BFG as it does play fast, looks impressive (the battleships are HUGE ) and never bogs down as BFG is sometimes does.

I know of 4 people that play it (including myself) so as far as my knowledge goes, it isn't that popular.[/quote]

I am a big fan of alternate activation games so that is a definit plus. Those battleships are pretty damned massive I will admit. TBH I've never really noticed BFG get too bogged down other than by not knowing the rules that well.

How big would a standard game be (eg the 2k of warhammer, 1500 for 40k etc)? Flicking through some of the book it seemed to suggest a starter set was about 1/2 the points cost of a standard game, though I might be misreading it. How differently do the different fleets play? They all seem to have access to the same basic ships (from a brief look over with no idea what stats are like), do the different factions feel very different or do they feel pretty similar just with different models?

Lastly would there be anychance of getting a demo game up and running? My usual haunt is TGA central but I'm sure something else could be arranged.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:44 pm 

The starter fleet games take about 1 1/2 hours possibly shorter when we aren't checking the rulebook constantly.

The different fleets feel different, I only play the sorylians, but the dindrenzi and terrans certaintly didn't work like my fleet when I versed them. They have the same ship archetypes, but they all have slightly different stats (ie sorylians have broadsides, whilst dindrenzi focus mainly on foreguns)

As for an intro game, I wouldn't mind one. I'd have to borrow another fleet from someone else though, unless we just played with half a starter set each.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:00 pm 

I would be happy splitting a starter for a demo, mabey 1 cruiser and 3 frigates each? (assuming I got the catagories right).

The Sorilians are right up my ally as the ones I'm most keen on!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:36 pm 

If you come down to South you're welcome to borrow my Aquans.

I quite enjoyed it, just don't get a lot of time to play it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:32 am 

Got the book, got a completed Dindrenzi fleet, and a Terran Fleet in the Box. Looks good, but haven't played it yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:40 pm 

hey guys is there a local seller for firestorm??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:09 pm 

Tactics in the city is the only place i have seen it.

- Deathodia920 -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:32 am 

I've got a fleet I should finish painting (Terran).

I think I might have a decent understanding on the attack craft, but it's a bit of head thumper. You think you get it, but you don't really. It's a bit messy.

As for the models I was very pleased with them, so I might buy them just to put them together and paint.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:04 pm 

Is anyone still playing this in Perth?

I'm quite curious about Firestorm Armada (and Uncharted Seas). Am considering either buying a Starter Kit or trying to buy someone's second hand fleet on the Trading Post thread.

Would anyone else like to show me the ropes or take the plunge with me?

Cheers,

Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:55 pm 

Well, I've bought the rulebook. Any Firestorm Armada players out there?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:42 pm 

I've wanted to get into this game for quite a while but there have been no players, so I picked up Dystopian Wars instead. Hmmm...maybe it's time to pick up a Firestorm Armada fleet, I love the models and if they start to gather dust, I could probably use them in Eclipse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:55 pm 

Hi Bokke,

am keen to play FA. I'm normally at Outpost South on a Tuesdays so if that's easy for you to get to, then it should be easy to get a game.

Ecky has been teaching me DWars so I'm going to join in there too.

I'm unlikely to go crazy with big big fleets but it sounds like that's really not needed in this type of game. Small fleets with plenty of asteroids, orbiting platforms etc could be really cool.

Cheers,

Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:08 pm 

Cool, I'd only really want to pick up a starter fleet at this stage to try it out. I'll pick up a starter fleet next pay (either Relthoza or Directorate) and PM you when I do to organize a game :)