It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:03 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:56 pm 

Thanks Dan, interesting read :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:23 pm 

I feel privileged to have attended Shellshock.

While it was a daunting drive (hour & half) I figure if folks on the East Coast can do it why shouldn't I. On the drive down I was thinking that in a field of 12 I'd be happy to finish in the top 25% and aim for best painted :) When the armies came out after the first game I was pretty damned impressed. There wasn't a silver surfer in the field and some pretty awesome armies to behold.

As far as events goes this was relaxed, casual, and sadly for the 40k player, wonderfully air conditioned! I think everyone had a great time and I'm not at all to see the sport scores tightly contested. I had a great time and to top it all off picked up Best Overall. A great event and I'll definitely attend a repeat event next year.

Game #1 was against Michaels US on the "Italy" table. Covered in hills i thought my arty would be well protected... and it was... until I lost my observer on turn 2! However, they saw plenty of action against his re-enforcements and my re-enforcements took out his commander and broke his company for the win

Game #2 was against Dane's Hungarians. I used the cover of night to get up and in his grill, and as the sun rose WWI trench warfare began. With two veteran forces I knew someone was going to have to break the stalemate and put my faith in fearless. Some tense close combat ensured, counter attacked by Stugs, but the Diggers won out in the end simultaneously breaking his company and taking the objective.

Game #3 was the historical re-enactment of Japan vs Australia over the pastures of the Netherlands... well... almost historical. Giddy with the success of 2 wins I elected to night fight again. Unfortunately it quickly became apparent to me that this wasn't going to work out well... and then the dice backed up that theory. My dug in infantry started dying in groups, my troops couldn't unpin even with the commander re-roll so kept getting smashed by artillery. My company ended up broken before I'd even made it onto the half of the table with the objectives.

Photo's!
Just to prove Neil wrong I won't leave everyone waiting 6 months for the photo's ;) Sadly however I didn't catch everyones name and didn't get to put a name to every army.

My 9th Australian Div. Conveniently annoying the worse photos of the lot I took out. Convenient because I can take more whenever I like :P

Michael's Americans and my round 1 opponent

Finns!

Germans

Motorised Germans

Neil's Japanese

FJs

Sov Tank Co

Sosoomi's LRDG

Australian Divisional Cavalry

Tables & Games

Presentations
The TO - did a great job and played as well!

Best Painted (Hungarians)

Best General, the undefeated Neil (Japanese)

Best Overall, me (Australians)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 pm 

Great stuff Dave

and a well deserved result 18/18 for sportsmanship and 23/24 for painting.

Cheers Neil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:13 am 

Congrats Dave on your first tourny win :mrgreen:

WWW.SOULRAVEN.COM
WWW.BRAWLBB.COM
Official MERCS Black Ops Representative

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:59 pm 

Thanks for posting the photos Dave , didn't get time to take one myself!

Seeing all those armies arrayed in their splendor on that wonderful terrain makes me feel excited for Shellshock 2013. 8)

IT'S NOT YOUR LIST, IT'S Y.... HANG ON, OH OK, YEAH THAT LIST SUCKS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:02 pm 

As Dave said it was real privilege to play in Shellshock the armies were fantastic, the tables great and the organization and players were outstanding.

Game reports
Game one
Dust Up verses Mike with Motorised Grenadiers
Mike had two grenadier platoons, 3 Nebblewerfers with a Pak 36, an at platoon with 2 Pak 38, 2 Brumbars, a KV and 2 Stug D’s
On a table named the Australian outback my Japanese blended right in. Mike won the dice off to attack and chose the corner with some nice hills to screen his Nebblewerfers. He deployed them around the rear most objective and deployed a platoon of infantry with an attached Pak 38 around the other objective. He also placed the Brumbars on the table.
I had my 105 battery deployed along a forest edge, an infantry platoon camped over both objectives supported by my mortars and another infantry platoon ready to head into a large central wooded area.
Basically I managed to dig my 105s and mortars in before they could be taken out by the Nebblewerfers, my defending infantry did take a bit longer to dig in. My attacking platoon used the wood to move across the table for a couple of turns setting up for a turn three assault. I used smoke to force the Brumbars to keep moving and thus stop them doing much with their big guns.
Mike didn’t get his turn three reserves and in fact did not get any reserves until turn 5 when he had three dice. I got a platoon on in turn three and started the advance towards the rear objective as my on table platoon set up to assault his defending infantry, a normal move followed by an Avanti (Banzai) move saw me out flank the platoon. When I assaulted (I had pinned him with a repeat bombardment from the 105’s) he only had 5 teams firing with a total of 9 shots. He did get 4 hits and I lost two stands but the assault quickly reduced him to the two stands that were out of the initial assault. I also managed to kill hi company commander in this fight. He raced his Brumbars back to stop me taking the objective. His nebblewerfer barrage at my flanking infantry killed the platoon commander who promptly became the unknown hero.
Turn Four my tanks came on and my flanking infantry cleared away the nebblewerfer ATG, command team and his 2IC. I also killed the two remaining infantry on the hill but the Brumbars fell back from that assault. I had a chance with two 105 shots in the rear of the Brumbars but only got one hit which he saved.
Turn 5 and Mike 2 Stugs came on and doubled along the back of the board to try and shore up his defences. The Brumbars assaulted and my remaining infantry fell back.
My turn five saw my infantry near the middle objective go to ground, I smoked the Brumbars tried bombarding the Stugs to no effect. My AA and Mountain guns arrived. My tanks moved up to the rear objective and along with the infantry cleared away the Nebblewerfers.
Turn six for Mike saw the Brumbars kill a couple of stands with MG fire and assault which put my platoon below half strength. They passed the reroll to stay on the table with my company commander. His Stugs assaulted the far infantry and promptly fell back against the counter attack. This left me in possession of the objective at the start of my turn winning the game 6-1
The speed of my infantry caught him off guard (which is pretty historically correct for early Japanese battles) and that combined with his lousy reserve rolls cost him the game.
 
Game two
No Retreat verses Geoff with Tankovy
Geoff had two platoons of T34s one with 6 and one with 7 and a platoon of infantry along with sporadic Sturmoviks
I had a town to defend while Geoff had to advance over an airfield and move me on. I deployed two infantry platoons along the centre line and three lines deep. My 105’s were dug in along a treeline covering the forward objective. I held the mountain guns in Ambush.
Geoff advanced and started shooting and his sturmoviks managed to pin the 105’s. I revealed my Ambush and bailed a T34. The 105’s unpinned and bailed a t34.
Geoff remounted one T34 and assaulted on both fronts. One t34 boged right infront of some infantry and one was destroyed by the mountain guns defensive fire another couple were bailed so the attack was driven back. On the over flank the T34’s got in amongst the infantry and killed a few before several of their number got bailed and destroyed when the T34’s retreated.
I licked my wounds and bought on a reserve infantry platoon. Geoff recovered a few tanks and started shooting. Shooting and the sturmoviks accounted for the Mountain guns over a couple of turns. While my 105’s whittled down one of his platoons.
Seeing my reserves getting closer, Geoff chucked everything into a final charge that saw some infantry die but at the cost of both tank platoons costing him the game.
5-2 to me. If Geoff had applied a concentration of force type approach the game may well have turned out differently.

Game three
Counter Attack verses Dave with Australian Infantry
Dave had three platoons of grunts, 4x 25 pounders, 3 valentines, two HMGs and 2 6 pounder portees.
Dave elected to night attack. He started a sweeping move with his 25s, HMGs, 2 grunt platoons and the Valentines. I pushed my tanks and one platoon towards the objective and sent another delay platoon towards the central village. As good as Japanese were as night fighters I failed to see pretty much anything unless it fired at me until sunrise.
Dave continued his flanking move and I occupied the town. Dave then bought up his Valentines into the town to shot at my mountain guns. His defending infantry also had a go at them.
My mountain guns killed three of Daves infantry and my 105’s bailed a Valentine. My infantry then assaulted out of the buildings destroying one. The other retreated so I destroyed the bailed one. Dave then assaulted my force in town and both platoons were reduced to a few men and broke. The sun rose and my 105’s ranged in on the remaining valentine some infantry and a 25 pounder, pining them and slowly whitling them down. Dave tried to get the portees to take out my tanks but failed. His HMGs tried barraging my infantry on the objective.
My tanks advanced up and killed the portees with MG fire while the knee mortars on the objective killed his HMGs with a barrage. Daves army broke.
5-2 to me

Photos
Daves Army

Grahams army

Dans Finns

Geoff

Johns LRDG

Some Para and Hungarian action

Neil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:04 pm 

Well done Dave. Massive achievement with the Australians. HUGE effort.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:26 pm 

Started a thread on FOW site

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx ... &afv=topic