It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:23 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Assault Bridges
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:53 am 

I'm fairly new to FoW and in the final stages of building a late-war German force which I can deploy as either an infantry or panzer company. One component of my force choice is a Gepanzerte Panzerpionier platoon. Now these lads come with Sdkfz251/7 which have assault bridges. Anyone know if rules exist for use of these bridges or are they merely decorative? I can't seem to find rules for them (I'm either blind or not looking in the right place :lol: ). I imagine that in order to place the bridges over an obstacle everyone jumps out of the 'track, then spends a turn (or more) under fire placing the bridge. Once I have this lot all painted-up I'll place some pics in the new 'army pics' thread doing the rounds.

Post subject: Re: Assault Bridges
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:45 am 

Yeah it's a tricky one for find for sure. Main rulebook (The big one not the small handy one) page 215.

Basically pioneers starting next to an obstacle (ie trench) can place a bridge at the end of their shooting step. They can't do it if they are pinned down, and can't claim being concealed or gone to ground. Assault Bridges are difficult going and once placed can't be retrieved. An assault bridge placed by a halftrack can't be crosses by a fully tracked vehicle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:46 pm 

Thanks very much for that Advanceop, that is great! It also explains why I can't find it in the rules as all I have is the 'Open Fire' pocket rule book. Gives me an excuse to visit the shop again and spend up on the full hard-back edition!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:27 am 

No Worries. While the small book is a great handy reference it doesn't have all the rules. That said we are really only talking the extra rules for fortifications and things that get past them IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:57 am 

I'm pretty sure das book, a rule supplement released not long ago contains all the rules missing from the open fire book and all of the fortification rules scattered throughout different books. It's the same size as open fire and a lot cheaper than the big book. I'll have a look and see if assault bridge rules are in there when I get home later.

Might be a cheaper option for you tho.

Cheers
Monty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:22 pm 

Ah cool. I never picked up Das Book.. good call Monty. Might have to check that out myself

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:57 pm 

Cheers Monty, that'd be great. Let us know how you go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:03 am 

I'll dig it out later today - I'm mid renovations at the moment so living out of boxes :-) everything takes so long to dig up and find...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:25 am 

OK so only the in the 8th box I looked in... assault bridges are on p54 of das book and are the same as advancop stated earlier.
Das book contains all of the mid / late war missions, special rules and fortification rules as well as 'total war' rules, rules for amphibious/airborne assaults, street fighting (no Blanka though??) and arsenals for each force. I don't think these rules are new, they were just previously scattered through a whole lot of different books / expansions. Well worth picking up, especially if you don't have all the older books, or only have the 'open fire' small book.

Tis cheap too!!! (or was when maelstrom had there 'special sale')

Cheers

Monty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:38 am 

Thanks heaps for your help Monty and for taking the time to find this information. Das Book sounds like a must have so I'll get onto Maelstrom now and see if I can dig it up. Sounds like it is well worth having....and good luck with the renno's, that sure is a painful exercise (my wife has put me through it three times in the last 10 years...and then we sold the house and now want to build again :roll: :lol: ). Living out of boxes - yep, it is too much fun. Thanks again.