It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:34 am 

Battlefront have announced that they will no longer supply maelstrom games with fow minis (there is a press release on the bf website I'd post link but I'm on my phone so copy paste is out) I don't want to have to pay bf webstore pricing so do any of you know any other discounted web stores with reasonable turn around and postage costs?

Cheers

Monty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:24 am 

Oh thats bad news as thats where I have bought everything that I haven't bought down at tactics.... :(

edit: having a look at the 2 websites I can't help but feel that battlefront cancelling them as a retailer and maelstrom advertising the alternative range of WWII models aren't related... not sure which act caused the other but more then a coincedence??? Time will tell :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:21 pm 

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/flames-of ... t_138.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:27 pm 

Not a bad option, at first glance prices look to be the same and free shipping over 10 pounds again... good work :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:46 pm 

Yeah, thanks for the link - I'd been searching around without any real luck. How are their postage turnaround times??

Wonder how long it would be before battefront pull the pin on them too? I can't see them canning maelstrom just because they sell an alternative brand... most places both online and offline are going to sell multiple brands if there is demand. And I thought competition was supposed to be a good thing.

Monty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:13 pm 

Reading around on some of the different forums, it appears as though the discounting of the FOW range may have been a point of difference between the companies also... but apparently Maelstrom will be making their official announcement and explanation of the situation tomorrow...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:54 pm 

I've been reading that to, which is suprising if true, since whatever discount maelstrom sell at shouldn't affect their wholesale price they pay BF. I think BF is trying to protect its own internet sales and also protect the local gaming stores that sell their product (which isn't a bad thing). Its a bit like the local GW price Vs online price for 40k/fantasy - its not just a little bit cheaper to go overseas/online for your purchases, its a helluva lot cheaper and really hard to go past. That makes it more of a problem with tax and import duties, more than their own retail pricing structure.
As for the alternative brand 15mm miniatures, I've heard mixed reviews. Some things are great and work well in the game, others are out of scale, poorly detailed and I don't think BF would have a huge problem with competing with them.

Be interesting to see what maelstrom have to say.

Monty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:52 pm 

Would explain why it's taken them three weeks to start packing my order.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:05 pm 

Wayland has been pretty good for shipping with me, and they have sales and things at times and sometimes you get points for discounts and things, shipping depends on what they have in stock or not of course. Bit of a mystery why there would be contention with Maelstrom over what must be a popular product.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:32 am 

Maelstrom announced in their statement they will be selling off their remaining stock at 25% off using the webstore voucher Battlefront-stock, all caps if that makes a difference.

More info about it can be found here http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/downloa ... atures.pdf