[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Inner-city SMASH! - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:05 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Inner-city SMASH!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Ok, so I’m going to talk MONSTERPOCALYPSE.

Monsterpocalypse (or M-poc for short) has been on my gaming radar for a few months now, and I finally took the plunge a few weeks back when a few of the lads got me a couple of packs for my birthday. Liking what I saw, I followed up by heading out and picking up a starter set so I could play, as well as a few more monster & unit packs.

As a brief overview, M-Poc is a game where you take command of a giant monster in the middle of a city landscape, where you smash your way through to destroy your opponent who has a monster of his own. You’ll probably be familiar with the Japanese “Kaiju” genre movies of this nature. Just think Godzilla, King Kong, or the old “Rampage” arcade game and you can’t go far wrong. :P You play on grid style map, with different terrain effects and place various building models as well as summoned units to help you meet your objective and smash your way to victory. Just like in the movies, this usually means the destruction of half the city in the process – but that’s all part of the game. ;) You actually WANT to cause as much destruction as possible whilst fighting your opponent’s monster – it gives you in game power-ups for doing so!

Given that this game is published by Privateer Press (makers of Warmachine & Hordes), I had a pretty good instinct that M-poc was going to be quality. Privateer are a real future challenger to GW’s tapletop throne and they put out a lot of good stuff. I was actually relishing the prospect of playing a pre-painted miniature game for a bit of a change, and it makes a nice departure after so many years of playing regular tabletop wargames and having the additional (albeit self imposed) pressure of having to paint my force. With the M-poc models, you have 12 different factions to choose from and the models are pretty awesome. You can always re-paint them to your own tastes if that’s your thing as well. The collectible nature of the game is no big deal either – you can play with pretty much everything you get (even out of faction units), and it’s not hard to trade or locate online stores that sell singles at a good price.

When I read the rulebook out of the starter set, I started to get pretty excited. The rules for M-poc looked damn good. There were a lot of innovative game mechanics with the gameplay that revolved around the careful resource management of dice “pools” and lots of synergies with different unit abilities and game triggers. Very cool, and I was really looking forward to my first game to see how the rules in print matched my expectations.

Turns out – I was wrong. This game isn’t just good… It was frick’n AWESOME! :D

I played my first match with Paul (The Expanding Man) last night at Outpost South and we had a great time. It didn’t take me too long to come to grips with the rules (Paul had played a bit before), and before long we were blitzing across a cityscape, rampaging, throwing and stomping our way through innocent bystanders & government buildings like a sky high WWE smackdown match. ;)

Particular highlights were when Paul flew over the top of me with his giant “G.U.A.R.D.” robot and bodily threw my Giant fly monster “Mucustos” down the street into an insurance company tower, only to have me later grab & pile drive him into 2 skyscrapers head-first. I managed to win the game by knocking his hyper-form monster (monsters actually morph into a “super-form” during the game) down within an inch of its life and then vomiting acidic fly-guts over him to finish the job. Anyone who has seen the original “The Fly” movie will understand how nasty that would be!

So, in short – I’m sold. I will definitely be playing this again as often as I can – it’s brilliant fun. All-up we took a little over an hour and a half for our match and there’s still heaps to learn. Definitely a lot a strategy mixed in with the mindless fun of urban destruction. ;)

To be continued…

Post subject: Re: Inner-city SMASH!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:45 pm 

The game is great fun, and will push just about every geek button us gamers have.

If anyone is interested in a learning game, let me know (I can provide all the gear you need, to try before you buy).

Speaking of purchases, I am thinking of gauging interest in a group buy of a monster and unit case of the current Monsterpocalypse Now! release. I know that with earlier releases they deliberately packed the cases to ensure that you got everything in the release.

The current release contains 6 new factions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:31 am 

Hmmm, after reading this and talking with Gary (Darthproph), this seems like a nice system. At first I was turned off by the collectible aspect, considering I've dumped money on Magic, Jyhad and Dreamblade which all sit gathering dust, but the bulk buy sounds interesting.

Depnding on how many pieces we'll end up and the price we need to pay, I could be interested.

Obviously, I'd need to have a few games first to see how the rules gel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:46 am 
Site Admin

After looking into it a bit, the collectable nature of this game is nowhere near as bad as you'd expect.

You quite literally can play a very good & competitive game with just a starter set & a couple of unit boosters to add some flavour. You only play with 1 monster, so any additional monster packs you buy are really just to give you some alternates if you want to try them.

In a standard game, the minimum stuff you will ever need is:
- Monster plus hyper form (which comes with it)
- 4 units
- 2 buildings
- All the usual stuff to play, dice, game mat, rules, etc that come in the starter set.

The maximum stuff you will ever need is:
- Monster plus hyper form (which comes with it)
- 15 units
- 12 buildings
- All the usual stuff to play, dice, game mat, rules, etc that come in the starter set.

So, given that unit boosters (generally) come with 1 building & 4 units, they are the way to go and it doesn't take long to get everything you'll need. There are no ultra rare items that come in the packs that you're tempted to keep buying to obtain, and singles for everything are available online at good prices (defiantgaming.com in australia being a good example).

You can totally play with out of faction units too, they just cost one additional dice resource to spawn into the game. Lots of people play with out of faction units too - they sometimes give you some great combos with your monster that you'd otherwise not be able to pull off.

Not to mention that there are now a bunch of guys around (and on this forum) that will be looking to do some trades to tweak their collections.

Overall - nice & easy to get what you need, and won't cost anywhere near some of our other hobbies! :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:10 pm 

If you follow the link (Monsterpocalypse) in Malignants opening post in this tread, click on downloads then scroll down until you get to:

Series 4 Rulebook and Reference Sheet
Monsterpocalypse Now Rule Book - PDF (32MB)

you can download the rulebook free

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:13 pm 

We have the US release date for the MonPoc Voltron game (will come equipped with enough for two players straight out of the box):

http://privateerpress.com/company/voltr ... his-summer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I just saw that. Looks awesome!

On another note - I nearly have everything I need for my Savage Swarm force! Just gotta sort out what buildings I need now...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:53 am 

For anyone wanting to get into MPoc, or expand existing factions, this could be a good deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Monsterpocalypse ... 45f1234434

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:30 pm 

I have a question, I'm quite interested in this game, would people object to me using an EVA figure (from neon genesis evangelion) as my big monster thing (based correctly) to represent NERV? From what I can tell the elemental champion or the guard would be a good subsitute, leaning more towards the guard as there support units look more appriopriate.

Either way once skulls is over I'll be looking for some intro games :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:41 pm 

Quote:
I have a question, I'm quite interested in this game, would people object to me using an EVA figure (from neon genesis evangelion) as my big monster thing (based correctly) to represent NERV? From what I can tell the elemental champion or the guard would be a good subsitute, leaning more towards the guard as there support units look more appriopriate.

Either way once skulls is over I'll be looking for some intro games :D
Each big Monster comes with two seperate models, a painted sculpt and an identical sculpt in translucent plastic (representing the Monster's Ultra form).

Are you thinking of having two models, or just one?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:52 pm 

Two, just painted different so you can tell the two forms apart, scale wise roughly how tall are the monsters?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:14 pm 

Quote:
Two, just painted different so you can tell the two forms apart, scale wise roughly how tall are the monsters?
7 - 8 cm or thereabouts.

Let me know when you want an intro game. I'm happy to lend you all you need to play.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable