It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:22 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:18 pm 

So I've been reading about Elder Dragon Highlander format and it sounds interesting. Does anyone on here play it? I'm looking to make a deck but I'm a bit unsure as to how to construct it with regards to mana curve and the such. Like, should I be wanting a higher number of big, game breaking spells or a higher number of early plays to ensure a more consistent and active early game? I'm leaning towards a more controlling WUB build with Sen Triplets as the general if that helps?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:28 pm 

I love myself some EDH. I've got about 5 EDH decks myself and am trying to build a couple more. Although, to be quite honest, only 2 or 3 of my decks are any good (including the ones I'm trying to build.)

Mana curve is still important, but it is definitely a slower format. The only exception is when you are playing against people with the expensive mana ramp cards (like Mana Vault and Sol Ring.) However, the odds of hitting those cards are very low (1 in 99 in fact due to the fact that your general doesn't hit the library usually.) You should be looking at around 40 lands/mana sources usually. You don't need a very large number of big, game breaking spells but a few is always good. It is a lot more important to have a lot of utility cards/creatures.

Bennie Smith is probably a good source for more ideas. His EDH Primer is pretty good and in 3 parts. Part 1 Part 2 and Part 3 are quite useful to gauge what decks need and the thought process needed to build a deck. (Assuming it's for a multiplayer game, of course.)

For Sen Triplets, the two cards you may want to look at getting is Mycosynth Lattice and Celestial Dawn. This allows you to play off-coloured spells from your opponent's hands.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:48 pm 

Cheers Jason :)
Now just to go through everything I have and find what to put in :P