It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:38 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:27 am 

Hey everyone,

Zomg; first WestGamer post. ^^

My mate Simon and I (from over at the Wargame Shop, http://www.thewargameshop.ashop.com.au/) have started organising a few Magic events; particularly, fortnightly drafting. However, I'm personally very keen to set up a constructed 2HG tournament as barely any sanctioned 2HG is set up in Perth, and I think it'd be a great experience trying to come up with a pair of decks that work well with each other.

In any case, I'm just looking for interest levels at this stage as we'd need 7+ other teams to make it worthwhile, and frankly I have no idea if anyone else is as keen on 2HG as we are. Entry would probably be $10 or $15 per person; prizes would be boosters and foils (I love being generous with prizes so I'd probably throw in a few cards from my trade folder aswell). We'd probably organise it for late August/early September.

So would anyone be interested in playing in a 2HG tournament?

Jax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:37 pm 

Hi, welcome!!

I'm keen to try 2hg, ~_~ I should be able to make a deck. what day would it be at/time (I know your not set yet)? Also, what days are drafting at wargame/prize?

I'm at city Tue,Thurs,Fri. Meet me up for trades!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

I am actually totally ignorant as to what a 2HG tournament is...

Can someone explain?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:36 pm 

It's where you play in teams of two, each player with their own deck. Teams share turns and life total (40 i think), and your teammates deck and your deck combined can't have more than 4 copies of any card (besides basic land [I actually didn't know that rule until I just read it, oops])
It's fun ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Ah... 2 headed giant - I do know what that is.

Just didn't connect the acronym. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:41 pm 

i be in all come down to where and when

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:12 pm 

^ I agree. Willing to try but it depends what day for me ;S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:08 pm 

Wicked; from what I can gather here and IRL it seems like there's a decent amount of interest. =)

Still got to plan it, but I'd imagine we'll host it in 3-4 weeks on either a Friday, Saturday or Sunday (probably not Friday as to not conflict with FNM).

Rules would be typical 2HG rules: standard constructed, 60 card decks, 30 life, only 4 of any card between teammates, first mulligan is to 7 cards, team that goes first doesn't draw, and all that junk.

Also keep in mind that earlier this year the 2HG rules concerning life totals were updated (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... eature/86b) so that just about any card that was concerned with a player's life total uses the team life total rather than the player's share, so some cards may be a lot more powerful than they were the last time you played 2HG. =)

And finally, Wargame Shop drafting is biweekly on Fridays, starting on Fri the 13th of August. Facebook sign ups can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Perth-Aus ... 033&__a=3&. Prizes are boosters plus promo foils.

Actually, on the topic of prizes, what suppliers do any of the other event organisers use for their boosters? Simon's supplier won't give him much more in terms of price reduction regardless of how many boosters he's buying so he's looking for a cheaper supplier in order to offer more prizes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:28 am 

Mmm! Sat/Sunday is looking great for me.

How much are you guys getting it for? During pre-release, most re-sellers did get boxes at 132$ before because they bought like 10~20 cases >_>! I asked like 5 suppliers recently and they told me the cheapest they could get right now is around 142~152$aus.

D; I even sold my spare box so that we could draft this week for no profit (Friend bought me boxes so that i could get a few of the box promo birdy lol). If you find a cheaper supplier do tell ;X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:26 pm 

I would like to try and play/judge the 2HG event, time permitting.

I already have an idea of the 2 deck combination I have in mind. :twisted: