It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:36 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:37 am 

Time is a funny thing.

When you don’t pay attention it passes in the blink of an eye. In 2009 TGA opened in the heart of Perth to a record club attendance and now six years on sometimes it is hard to believe it has really been that long. The Perth gaming scene has changed a lot during the clubs time. Almost every part of Perth has some form of club or group for the hobby. Perth now has more gaming stores spread across it than ever before with people being able to shop, hobby, and play in events seven days a week, sometimes starting just after the midnight hour. It truly is a great time for gamers in Perth right now.

I know for people who have been a part of the club since the beginning it has offered opportunities that probably would never have happened based on timing and opportunity, a testament to the club’s Fusion Initiative idea and the community that backed it. The club was created initially to offer Sunday gaming to those who wanted it and through all it’s time the club has seen some pretty impressive events, tournaments, and first times for Perth tabletop gamers.

With summer upon us and the festive season approaching it is about this time that TGA winds down to avoid the heat to which our hall is unable to deal with and re-open in March the following year. Thanks to our recent survey complete we can let everyone know what is happening with the club in 2016.

During 2014 the club attendance average started to wane due to the increased number of opportunities in the form of events held on weekends, and life in general. We knew that 2015 would be a pivotal year for the club and made a decision to monitor it month by month, something we have never needed to do before. In the beginning of 2015 we decided to use the club’s funds to subsidise free casual entry for as long as we could to encourage more people to visit and enjoy the club.

Unfortunately this had not made a single difference to the overall attendance levels which meant that the other forms of raising funds were insufficient to make up the losses. Without numbers a club will struggle and our recent survey has confirmed the trend will continue which means that unless something amazing happens it will be highly improbable that TGA will be able to operate in 2016.

Therefore, it is with a truly deep feeling of regret we announce that Tabletop Gamers Association’s last official day is this coming weekend, Sunday 8th November 2015.

It is fitting that on this day their will be an Epic: Armageddon tournament of ten players who are part of a group passionate about this particular game and have been a noticeable part of the club for many years. We will also have tables available for casual gaming if you would like to come by one last time. On behalf of Cameron and me, we thank you all for the experience of being able to run a club that has rewarded us with so many friends and knowledge of our favourite hobby.

Goodbye

- Adam

Catalyst Games Labs Demo Team Member #139: BattleTech FTW!

www.alphastrike.com.au - Perth's premiere games and hobby supplier.
Visit our Facebook page.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:44 am 

:( :( :(

Thanks for all the good times, gents!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:58 am 

I'm really shocked and sorry to hear this.

Sunday gaming has never really worked for me, but I was always glad to know TGA was there for other wargamers, and you guys have been a massive support for tournaments over the last 7 years.

Thanks for all your hard work in the WA wargaming scene, and best of luck for whatever you do next, I hope to still see you guys around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:01 am 

Damn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:06 am 

:shock:

Its a sad day for WA gamers when any club closes its doors. TGA has been pivotal in making weekend gaming accessible to people and while I don't tend to have that time free, I know it filled a hole in the weekly calendar and really supported a core group of players.

You both should be very proud of your achievements with TGA

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:26 am 

Really sorry to see TGA go.

I don't normally attend TGA due to weekends reserved for family time. However having TGA at Sunday gave assurance that there is an active gaming community/venue for weekends.

Kudos to TGA organisers for making casual and tournament games available on the weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:04 am 

Hi Adam and Cam

I am sure this must have been a very hard decision to make, and appreciate you letting us know what you have decided.

TGA had a great run, and has been one of my very favourite gaming venues over the past few years. TGA provided a spacious well organised club with a genuinely friendly, helpful atmosphere, and it will be missed.

Thanks for all the effort you put into it, I appreciate it and am sure many other people do to.

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:13 am 

Location: Underneath Parliament House with a lot of explosives
I'm really sad to see this.

Although life has prevented me from being there anywhere nearly how much I would like, I just wanted to extend a heartfelt thanks to Adam and Cam for giving up their Sundays and providing such a friendly place to be.

And now http://store.steampowered.com/app/540010

Current Status: Being a fierce game dev warrior.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:43 am 

Absolutely devastating news. Shame to see TGA go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:53 pm 

this is a real shame, i was there for the first time this weekend just gone, and was looking forward to being able to have a few casual games down there from time to time.

id there no option for you to return it to a pay for entry style club, and make it viable again?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:21 pm 

Very sad news. Tough times for all Games Clubs in WA it seems.

KRAGS Gaming Club
Fridays 7.30 - 11.00 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:39 pm 

Very sad news :(

What is going to happen to the terrain and Tables etc? Will it be up for purchase?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:14 pm 

I can honestly say I never thought this day would come. :( Sadness just doesn't seem to cut the mustard as far as emotional words go.

On the upside I can say it has been one of the best experiences of my life, and I have had the joy and opportunity to meet and play against some truly fantastic people.

Here's hoping that the future will bring more of the same :D

Can't thank everyone enough for your TGA love and support over the years, from the bottom of my heart, THANKYOU!!

I look forward to having more time to be playing across the table from everyone more and more. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:31 pm 

Well equally shocked and saddened, but great work in the years your guys have dedicated Adam and Cam.

Like many others, weekend were just not the best times for me but i enjoyed the tourneys and events i both attended and ran at TGA.

TGA will be missed! Hope to catch you guys across the table some time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:59 pm 

bugger, TGA has become a bit of an institution in local gaming, end of an era... it is sad to see it go, I always enjoyed the friendly atmosphere at TGA.

I wish you all the best and hope to see you across the table!