It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:29 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:13 pm 

Like alot of gamers I started my journey into this hobby in dimly lit garage, sitting around a couple of tables, with a bunch of mates, rocking out all sorts of games until the wee hours of the morning, eating sugar, downing coke, beer and ice coffee like it was going out of fashion, talking about every thing from politics to why guardsmen can kill a carnifex in close combat but can't shoot a gaunt to save their lives. It was filled with merriment, dice, cards, sausage sizzles and awesome times. Surely enough 6-8 girls and boys each week, quickly grew to 12-14 regulars, which rapidly exploded to 20 something of us and a need for a bigger garage :D

When Adam and I first opened the doors of TGA (The Tabletop Gamers Association) nearly 7 years ago, we wanted to capitulate this idea on a mass scale. I mean sure garage gaming is great fun, but eventually you want to test your mettle against more than the usual suspects, see what other gaming systems are out there (aside from MTG, Settlers of Catan and Warhammer and 40K) and the idea of having lots and lots of beautifully terrained tables to play seemed awesome. And on so many levels we succeeded at our dream. We have expanded our friends and gaming circle to epic proportions, seen almost a hundred different types of games played, witnessed countless dice rolls and card flips seal the fate of one player or another, had amazing tournaments and events held in our beloved hall and generally had an absolute blast with so many amazing WA and abroad gamers.

But there is always a downside to running a non for profit organization. And from anyone who has run or helped run a club you will feel the pain of this almighty word.......funding :( Each week, you aim to make enough to make sure you can keep the doors open and the kiosk full so that gamers from all parts can come on down and enjoy social focussed gaming as much as you enjoy being there for the community.

Many moons ago, clubs didn't quite face the troubles they face today. There weren't as many for starters which mean events saw good numbers (useful things for helping fund the week by week rent dilemma), there was only a couple of gaming stores in town, and they have very little in the way of resources for gamers to actually game (except perhaps GW, but they were always small and time pressured). Now there is just about a store on every corner, offering "free" playing space to gamers.

So what does a club do? A few clubs have felt the pressure and closed their doors.....a sad thing indeed. Tournament structures have been revisited and modified to try and cater for the masses. More individual TO's are venturing out and running events, which is great for the community, but tend to be held at pubs or halls, who certainly don't need the funding like clubs do, but are happy to charge you an arm and a leg to use them.

Well we here at TGA are positive people. :D We believe the best thing to do, is infact evolve with the times, and continue to provide the best damn service and tables that can be mustered for the gaming community....... so we are proud to announce:

As of 1st March 2015, TGA now offers FREE Entry for normal game days!!

Your not serious right?

Yep we certainly are. It has taken a hell of alot of organization, and alot of extra hours fundraising, but we believe this is the best way to sustain and hopefully improve club attendance to ensure we can continue to service the gaming community the best way we know how.

So I can come down and play anything like before right?

Yes you certainly can. We have always prided ourselves on our open gaming policy, the only difference is we now have a far more diverse sense of the word table top gaming, with more MTG players, board gamers, roleplayers, and table top war games being seen that ever before

You and Adam are still going to be there to help out and demo stuff right? not just going to open the doors and walk away like a shop?

Absolutely we are going to be there. We love war gaming, its our hobby, our passion and the reason we give up our Sunday to service the community and provide the best gaming facility within our power to do so

I had no problems paying $5 to play all day, especially with no membership fee?

Well the good news is, you don't have to play for free if you don't wish :D As a non for profit organization, we are more than grateful for your donations to play and help us keep the doors open. It could be $1, $2 or the whole $5. Every little bit helps, and stops us having to dig into our pockets too often to keep things running. At the same time, there is no pressure to do so. We would much rather see 100 happy gamers coming down and playing every week, maybe buying a can of drink or two and having some lunch, than ask for entry fee. After all thats why were there, to see lots of happy gamers, playing games......of course if you do decide to help out, we will love you forever and there is the added bonus of a loyalty card stamp..............

Yeah, what happens with my loyalty cards now? I was collecting them cause they are cooler than YuGiOh cards?

Well obviously it isn't much use on the free entry front :lol: So we've made it even better...a fuller stamped loyalty card is now worth $5 in TGA credit. Much like a coffee card (buy 10 get one free sort of deal) once full it can used for $5 value at TGA. This means, you can use it on Kiosk items, Lunches, TGA run tournaments and events, Promo gear etc and thanks to the amazing sponsorship and generous awesomeness of AlphaStrike (http://www.alphastrike.com.au) you can use one card on any single purchase to receive $5 off! :D And even better still if you donate $5 to play for the day we will happily add another stamp to your card.....Win Win !

You mentioned garage gaming, whats the deal?

The atmosphere at TGA has always been alot like the garage gaming days of old, except on a larger scale. We really want to bring back that feel of "garage gaming" with lots more games happening, lots more gamers, and most likely Adam and I playing and getting involved alot more :D Hell we are made keen hobbyists after all. Plus we want to see people hobbying, chatting, generally having a ball and treating TGA like a club for all. Think of it as a mass Sunday gaming day, a bunch of mates and people hanging out doing what we love and TGA is our "home". As well, it means more kiosk selection (coz gaming is thirsty and hungry work) and my favourite part....a return of my legendary BBQ's. I've been itching to get back behind our beautiful BBQ and bust out lunches for ages, but the pressures of work and home life have left me a little drained. Now like a re-energized-marshmellow-infused-ranga-bunny I'm pumped to bust out the sausage sizzle lunches for our giant garage of gaming awesome. And for only a couple of bucks each, we all get fed too :D

Well I'm pumped, what now?

Now is the easy part.......grab your armies/decks/board games/hobby stuff and/or teams.......bust down to TGA on Sunday.....play heaps of games between 10am and 5pm.....have an awesome time........go home....sleep....dream of more epicness....... repeat the following Sunday :D

In short......Table Top Gamers Association (TGA).........get amongst it :D

Thank you all for reading, and supporting us over the years.....and we look forward to feeding your every gaming addiction for many moons to come :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:19 pm 

... if you're not charging entry, how are you paying for the hall? Your own pocket?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:21 pm 

Quote:
... if you're not charging entry, how are you paying for the hall? Your own pocket?
Partly.......plus external fund raising..... plus tournaments and events will help.....and of course kiosk and lunches.......its a huge risk we know, but thems the breaks in this day and age if you wish to keep running the best club in perth, sacrifices must be made :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:54 pm 

WOW I'm in.

I'll be posting this up on as many Hobbity/LotR SBG related facebook/ forum threads as possible for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:58 pm 

Quote:
WOW I'm in.

I'll be posting this up on as many Hobbity/LotR SBG related facebook/ forum threads as possible for sure!
Sir you are a champion and a scholar :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:18 pm 

Quote:
borrowing the helms deep board for a full day also included?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:33 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
borrowing the helms deep board for a full day also included?
Sure! That's what it is there for after all. :D

Catalyst Games Labs Demo Team Member #139: BattleTech FTW!

www.alphastrike.com.au - Perth's premiere games and hobby supplier.
Visit our Facebook page.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:11 pm 

Well I got to give it you guys thinking out side the box.

Challenge the norms and make it work.

I for one will try and make if down more often to support TGA well done.

I for one will be more than happy to donate for one of the best clubs in town. Now only if you were north of the river I would attend religiously each week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:32 pm 

Quote:
Well I got to give it you guys thinking out side the box.

Challenge the norms and make it work.

I for one will try and make if down more often to support TGA well done.

I for one will be more than happy to donate for one of the best clubs in town. Now only if you were north of the river I would attend religiously each week.
Thank you good sir , that is exactly what we are aiming for and your generosity is appreciated :D

As for NOTR..... One step at a time 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:55 am 

Good luck with the new approach. As a massive TGA fan I already thought it was cheap for a good day's gaming in a friendly atmosphere.
I hope it goes well and you make ends meet. If not, feel free to charge us all again :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:43 am 

Quote:
Good luck with the new approach. As a massive TGA fan I already thought it was cheap for a good day's gaming in a friendly atmosphere.
I hope it goes well and you make ends meet. If not, feel free to charge us all again :)
Thanks for the praise Matt. We will be keeping the Loyalty Card which will be used to earn cool stuff now that it is purely a donation thing. More will be revealed in March once we turn over to the new system. Feel free to pay the $5 if you want to. :wink:

Catalyst Games Labs Demo Team Member #139: BattleTech FTW!

www.alphastrike.com.au - Perth's premiere games and hobby supplier.
Visit our Facebook page.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:46 pm 

Location: Underneath Parliament House with a lot of explosives
TGA is a great club. One of the best.

But I have to ask, is the free entry to try and counter the effects big, scary red-headed bloke and provide him with a fresh set of souls to feed off? :lol:

(*coughusedtogotouniversitywithsaidscaryredheadedblokecough*)

And now http://store.steampowered.com/app/540010

Current Status: Being a fierce game dev warrior.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:29 pm 

Quote:
TGA is a great club. One of the best.

But I have to ask, is the free entry to try and counter the effects big, scary red-headed bloke and provide him with a fresh set of souls to feed off? :lol:

(*coughusedtogotouniversitywithsaidscaryredheadedblokecough*)
Yes Yes it is :D

(love the big scary red head)