[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Rising Fury – Team Game 12 July@Outpost - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:33 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:46 am 

The idea:

Rising Fury is a league we have started for new players to start Bolt Action, existing players to try a new army, or experienced players to meet and play new opponents.

We aim to use forces from the early part of World War 2, mainly from 1939-1942. Players are encouraged to use models based on historical forces, but to use lists that would be relatively balanced against any possible opponent.

Games will take place monthly at Outpost 6030 in South Perth (Tuesdays) or Gamagori in Wangara (Wednesdays). Players are encouraged to go along to both nights, but there is no obligation to attend every week or venue. Play as much or as little as you like.

The league will start at 400 points in February, before escalating month by month.

There are no prizes and there won’t be a winner, but we may have a raffle for players at the end. The main aim is just to play more Bolt Action!

The schedule:

It works out that it will be the 2nd Tuesdays of the months at Outpost, and the 3rd Wednesdays of the month at Gamagori

400 points – Tuesday 9 February Outpost/Wednesday 17 February Gamagori
600 points – Tuesday 8 March Outpost/Wednesday 16 March Gamagori
800 points – Tuesday 12 April Outpost/Wednesday 20 April Gamagori
1000 points – Tuesday 10 May Outpost/Wednesday 18 May Gamagori
1250 points – Tuesday 14 June Outpost/Wednesday 22 June Gamagori
Team Game – Tuesday 12 July Outpost/Wednesday 20 July Gamagori

Games will usually be arranged when you arrive at the venue, so please let people know you're there for it! I will try to get a rough idea of numbers before each meet.

The rules:

The rules outlined below are aiming at encouraging people to bring lists that a ‘take all comers’ list would have a reasonable chance against, allowing for the competence of command and the roll of the dice. No one is trying to ruin anyone’s fun by saying you can’t take this or that, we just want everyone to be able to have a mostly even game.

Theatre lists should be used as a guide for what was available to your force, rather than as the default for every game. However, if you and your opponent have thematically opposed forces are happy to use or play against theatre lists, you are most welcome to.

• Until 800 points is reached, no vehicles can be used
• Until 800 points is reached, no army can contain bonus units such as French artillery, British artillery observer and Russian inexperienced squads
• Only one flamethrower—and you’ll make more friends if it’s not a vehicle, and even more if is a team rather than part of an engineer squad, and only one Gurkha squad
• Weapons and vehicles should try to keep to a ‘medium’ level or below
• Reinforced platoons should be used unless both opponents agree to use thematic theatre lists
• Only one reinforced platoon until 1250 and 1500, where two can be used
• They should be standard platoons, not Tank Wars platoons
• There will be a suggested mission for each round, but people are free to play different ones if they choose
• This isn't a league for hardcore, competitive gaming, hence no prizes! So tone it down and aim for the softer side of what was historically available, and have fun using the stuff that no competent general would have touched in 1943!

And of course, models must be painted with at least 3 colours in a suitable scheme, and based.

The following people have expressed interest, so look out for them at the league nights:
Pbeccas--Australians (North Africa)
Grimgut--Germans (Battle of France)
Orange--French (Battle of France)
Itchmonkey--Germans (Barbarossa)
Mikey--Kiwis (North Africa) or Germans
Advanceop--Germans (Barbarossa)
Eckythump--Germans (Heer/FJ)
Reaper--Australians (PNG)
Ted--British (North Africa)
Youngy--Japanese
Soilworker--Germans (DAK)
Dave—Australians (North Africa)
Jack—Soviets
Thorhorseman—Brits or Germans
Godfrey - Finns (Continuation War)
Skitterling - Soviets
funzo - Germans
The Elk - British (Commandos)
Nathan - French
Iain - DAK

Please feel free to put up pics of your painting progress in the thread, and any battle reports.

For freedom!

Last edited by Orange on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:25 am, edited 22 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:50 am 

And I'll get it rolling with the pic I've already put in my blog of my first Frenchman:

Some of you are new to historical gaming, and armies and models are a little different to fantasy and sci fi gaming, so please feel free to ask if you have questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:27 am 

Awesome! For what it's worth I'm going to go with Russians. Plenty of time to find and paint some models too. :)

The no heavies suggestion makes me a little sad because the KV-2 is an awesome looking tank. But for the sake of keeping things fun I'm happy to refrain.

Regarding painting, how "suitable" do our "suitable schemes" need to be? After all, most pictures / films back then where shot in black and white so can we be really, absolutely sure what colours the Russians dressed in? ;)

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:00 pm 

Um happy to play against your KV-2 Rathnard :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:18 pm 

Adrian--have a look at all the debates about what colour uniforms should be, there's not a lot of consensus. Want to paint yours pink?

I'm not a fan of things like the KV-2 in something like this. But if your opponent is up for it, go right ahead.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:47 pm 

Quote:
Want to paint yours pink?
That's what I was thinking, yeah. :mrgreen: Basically whatever I go with, it's far more likely to abandon historical accuracy and instead enter the realms of ridiculousness (one of my first ideas was British commandos with top hats). If that's something that would bug alot of people then I'll look at toning it down, but "ridiculous" is really my preferred painting/modelling style. ;)

Regarding the KV-2, as much as I like it I'll probably hold off on buying one until the last or second last month. I'd much prefer ensuring my opponent has fun rather than winning games. Thus I've no desire to inflict a Howitzer-armed heavy tank on everyone at 800pts!

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:10 pm 

For ease of people like me...
Allies = 8
Axis = 6
Can go either way = 2

Pbeccas--Australians (North Africa)
Grimgut--Germans (Battle of France)
Orange--French (Battle of France)
Itchmonkey--Germans (Barbarossa)
Mikey--Kiwis (North Africa) or Germans
Advanceop--Germans (Barbarossa)
Eckythump--Germans (Heer/FJ)
Reaper--Australians (PNG)
Soutek--Soviets
Ted--British
Youngy--Japanese
Rathnard--Russians
Soilworker--Germans (DAK)
Dave—Australians (North Africa)
Jack—Russians
Thorhorseman—British or Germans

So by this model, I will put together some early war Germans, maybe FJ. Probably FJ with some additional Blitzkrieg German stuff...

"Cry "Havoc!!", and let slip the dogs of war" Julius Caesar; Act III, Scene I

Last edited by Mikey on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:16 pm 

Quote:
That's what I was thinking, yeah. :mrgreen: Basically whatever I go with, it's far more likely to abandon historical accuracy and instead enter the realms of ridiculousness (one of my first ideas was British commandos with top hats). If that's something that would bug alot of people then I'll look at toning it down, but "ridiculous" is really my preferred painting/modelling style. ;)
It's not really my cup of tea, for the same reason that if I was playing a fantasy game I wouldn't want to use sci fi terrain. It's just not the same, and detracts from why I play the game.

I don't think anyone would refuse to play you, and I'm not going to say no to you, but yeah...

Things like the KV-2 (and vehicle flamethrowers, and Gurkhas, anything that's on the high power scale) aren't why I like Bolt Action. I like Bolt Action because it's like an old fashioned boxing match--if it didn't go a hundred rounds, you demanded your nickel back! To me, bringing heavy hitters is like the other guy bringing a sword to a boxing match--both can still win, but it just takes one tiny mistake on behalf of the boxer to fall foul of the swordsman!

But that's me, and I accept other people don't play it for the same reason, so I'm trying to compromise.
But I can play 40k if I want half an army destroyed in one turn ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:12 pm 

If we are lacking in Axis players then maybe the russians can square off against anyone, before 1941 they were technically Germany's allies (until they got jealous of all the Lebensraum we have up in hurrrrr).

I want to field a KV-2 but i wouldn't want to face one, hence i'll paint mine for kicks and wait until the final month if i field it at all. Still trying to think where i want to go with my russians. I may do Zhukovs encircling force at Stalingrad, either way I'm gonna wind up with a tonne of dudes. #RedTide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:31 pm 

It looks like I can take the 88mm Flak 36 dual purpose AA/AT gun in Barbarossa. So shouldn't have any issue with KV-2 (apart from spending the $$).

Testing the paint scheme on a few jagers. Using muted fieldgrey since these will eventually be Normandy heers.

Hm...need to visit Tactics and get some scrubs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:50 pm 

They look brilliant Aulia, great work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:04 pm 

Thanks Pete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:04 pm 

Quote:
Thorhorseman—US or Germans
Actually I said "Tommys and Jerrys" not Yanks! Though you could argue that on the weeks that I can't play due to work I'm early war US :wink:

I've explained to Alex that Stukas are like early war Doom Scythes so he may play the Germans.

I'm definitely interested in playing in the league.
Quote:
one of my first ideas was British commandos with top hats
Of course if we were playing Mid-war, Naked Top Hat wearing truck drivers are historically accurate for Operation Husky :roll:

Last edited by Thorhorsemen on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:24 pm 

We can easily get three 400pt games done in 2hrs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:50 pm 

Being unable to use my free squad is hurting my dream of a 55 man 400pt army!

All inexperienced ALL THE TIME!