[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Naraka Sector Crisis - EPIC:Armageddon Campaign - Page 3 - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:59 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:19 pm 

The Supa-Stompa Squad was stuck in the hands of an amature General didn't work hard enough today for Warlord Runejack. :mrgreen:

I played 2 x 2k games against Matt Shadowlord today and lost both.

I'm pretty sure the first game was a 2-0 loss for me, and the second was a 3-0 loss. I don't remember much from the first game as I was too busy getting over my embarrassment after accidentally dropping half of my orks on the floor!! :oops: When I got home, nothing was beyond the power of a tiny drop of superglue ... except one grot from one stand has gone missing!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo ... the poor thing! If found, please return to Waagh! Runejack! What I do remember is his aircraft constantly harassing my Mekboy Stompamob but missing! In both games, my Landa assaults didn't prove as effective as in the past. One time the overwatch fire almost broke me before I even got into the fight! In the second game Matt was using troops dropped from the Tau version of a Landa quite effectively as he shot up my warband; killing the Warlord and breaking the unit. I then went to use my Landa to teach him what's what ... only to lose the fight! to Tau!! in an assault!!! Oops!

They were both enjoyable games and I thank Matt for the good fun!

Joel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:14 pm 

BATTLE REPORT

Vior'la Tau vs Tyson's impressive Soviet (Minervan) Tank Legion.
[/size]

Setting the stage for war: The objectives are small discs with Russian stars on them, one out of sight behind trees to left and the others visible.

FEAR THE MIGHT OF SOVIET RUSSIA!

Reinforced armour armies without any infantry are very common in the local metagame - they hit hard from range, can assault, are mobile and durable.
And of course it is the ultimate form of target-denial when facing Tau, who count AP weapons as a key part of their power. There aint nothing to fire at.

With initative, AX-10s scream in before Thunderbolts can be put on combat air patrol, and take out a Shadowsword.

Super heavies rumble forward and clear out scouts from the ruins.

Broadsides open up, sustaining fire against a markerlit tank formation. Despite this representing some of Tau's best AT firepower, reinforced armour prevents even a single hull point being stripped.

Thunderbolts engage the AX-10s, and immediately afterwards are chased by Tau Barracudas.

More thunderbolts scramble to chase an orca filled with crisis suits, but are unsuccessful

The Soviets solidify their position in the midfield

Another Orca comes in, carrying hundreds of points worth of Crisis suits. This is the Vior'la version, upgraded with a Tau Deflector Field, but all this serves to do is make an expensive explosion even more expensive as Soviet thunderbolts swat it from the sky.

This is a huge loss, and combined with how few tanks their weapons have killed puts the Tau on the backfoot.

Riptides open fire on a tank formation, sustaining with markerlights and cross-fire support to drive the message home. Two tanks die - so they are killable!

A moray moves up towards the centre, failing to kill a tank as it does but at least putting down a blast marker. (this was playtesting the double Macro rather than single TK variant)

Desperate times call for desperate measures - the survivors of this tetra and piranha formation land between 3 tank formations, daring them to waste an activation on a low value target or be markerlight.

At the end of turn three, the Soviets are completely dominating the game, with Tyson moving onto objectives while plastering Tau units with firepower.

In order to get some use out of it, I had the surviving empty orca land next to the Soviet Blitz and put a blast marker on a tank with its awesome 6+ gun - thunderhawks have no reason to envy this flyer, but at least it would contribute.

At the end of round 3, Tyson's Soviets had enough objectives to win. With only 1 formation remaining, I decided to triple my BTS/Supreme commander formation of firewarriors up field to contest an objective held by tanks.
If I lost initiative in round 4 they'd be destroyed in assault, but the alternative would be losing now. It's always better to lose later ;)

I was fortunate enough to win initiative, and break the tanks near my BTS formation.

What followed were a series of frantic moves on both sides, with the victory hanging in the balance.

The final result was a win to Tau by the narrowest of margins, with a single crisis survivor holding an objective (forest top left), the orca surviving 2 turns on the ground to contest the blitz, and the firewarriors charging up field to take another. In the centre the Moray is placed precisely to hold/contest 2 objectives, so whatever survived the tank onslaught at least ends the game in the right position.

Tyson was clear before the game that he it was a refresher since he hasn't played much Epic recently, but even so with this matchup favouring AT vs AP weapons I consider this a satisfactory victory against the odds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:47 pm 

great AAR Matt - great write up with great pics :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:23 am 

Nice report Matt... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dam Tau :twisted: :twisted:

------------------------------
http://pfe100.blogspot.com.au/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:26 am 

Thanks, I've got a photoshop batch processor that resizes, filters and grains dozens of photos in seconds, so even iPhone pics look decent. It's not my best work (I saved that for Dexter Mafia lol) but probably a lot easier than your approach :D

More to come soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:27 am 

Vior'la Tau vs Orks

Matt-Shadowlord (Vior'la Tau) vs RuneJack (Ghazgkhull Mad Uruk Thraka Orks)
[/size]

RuneJack runs a quality Ork force, and at last moment we agreed to scale down to 2000pts in order to try lists for an upcoming small scale tournament.
Scaling down is painful (Toys! I want all my Toys!) but since Vior'la are in final test phases having a limited amount of points actually proved very useful.

Both of us would be running an air drop in our list -RuneJack with a Landa full of Ork boys, nobs and grots, and myself with an Orca of Crisis suits.

Deployment was chosen by Tau, so we did a corner deployment (distance from your enemy is your best friend!). I set up with two screens of scout skimmers to slow the advance, and firewarriors and pathfinders safely on overwatch on the blitz, with Riptides to their right.

The pride of the Ork army was the Supa Stomper formation. Fortunately I had exactly the right tool in my list to take it out - two AX-10 titan killing bombers. What could possibly go wrong?

Moving first, a large formation of Orks pushed aggressively up the centre, while Stormboys leapt from cover to cover.

The AX-10s hurtle over head, letting rip with their Titan Killing Twin Railcannons. Shock-waves reverberated from the cliffs as the entire battlefield was illuminated with an ethereal blue light, orks cowered behind their Nobs unwilling to believe that a weaker species could possess such might.
And the AX-10s missed with both their 3+ weapons, leaving the Super stompas completely unscathed.

After fightabommas scrambled to take out the AXs, the sky was clear for an Orca to approach down the other end of the battlefield. As it Dropped Crisis suits into terrain, markerlights illuminated their target and ensured there were no survivors.

At the end of the turn, the Ork had trampled their way through the centre, destroying tetras and moving to objectives.

Turn 2 began with a bang, with Tau taking initiative and calling in a massive air strike. This time, Sunshark bombers we called in first, screaming across the field and unleashing Pulse Bombs to strip shields from the enemy formation. No casualties were caused due to the reinforced armour of their targets, but they did remove 1 shield.

Immediately afterwards, the AX-10s came in behind them, mixing the formations to try ensure they'd be able to share defensive AA fire against Fightabommaz. This time tetras were able to markerlight the target, meaning they'd only need 2s to hit and hopefully destroy it.

And missed.

From the point of view of the game, this was a disaster. From the point of view of playtesting the Vior'la Tau list, this was actually useful as it shone a highlight on an issue; the game's low point size meant there wasn't the usual level of redundancy an epic army can expect, and having this many points tied up in non-scoring, non-contesting air units pushes the limits of sustainability. It's easy to gloss over the problem when they work (ie "375pts of Titan Killers killed 400pts of titans! #WINNING").
As all experienced Epic players know however, the truth is of course that when it comes to scoring and contesting, aircraft are as irrelevant as the targets they have killed.

My recommendation for smaller games where you need some anti RA or SH firepower would probably be the Manta, which is a lot less powerful and harder to use than 2 AX10s, but at least doesn't write itself out of the game by missing!

Back to the battle, where the Orks were planning their own throw of the dice; sending in a landa to assault the Tau BTS formation guarding the blitz. With no AA available to stop them, the Orks got in unscathed. On the ground they were greeted by a whithering amount of overwatch firepower, with some lucky dice meaning 3 grots, a boy and a nob were lost before assault began.
The Orks won the assault regardless, but had taken enough casualties to be as broken as the two fleeing tau survivors.

The empty orca then came in to attack the broken Landa, before being destroyed itself.

By turn 3, the Orks were decidedly on the run, as their regroup rolls were poor and they didn't have enough formations to make up the loss of the two that stayed broken.

The two remaining firewarriors moved back to the Tau blitz, while Sunshark bombers destroyed the broken ork boyz who had hoped to hold it.
Crisis suits double moved onto the Ork blitz, Riptides took a central objective and the remaining tetras took another.

I maintain the view that the Tau army was top heaving with fliers, but while RuneJack played a good game to try exploits weakness he was unlucky at a few pivotal moments. The result was a solid win for Tau after a shaky start.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:55 pm 

and the winner is......

Matt-Shadowlord!

In the last game of the campaign, Matt (Tau) & Steve (Iron Warriors) faced off - this game was the decider as both were on equal points and the winner of the game would be the winner of the campaign.

Intel reports claim the Iron Warriors were abandoned by their Gods and the Tau were able to capitalize on their misery - do not doubt for a moment that the Iron Warriors did not battle with all their might, but the Space Communists, sorry, the Tau were able to claim victory and thus claim the Naraka Sector for the Greater Good!

Congrats to Matt and a big thanks to Matt, Steve, Joel, Scott, Georg, Tyson, Simon and Ted for taking the time to participate in the campaign!

PS. why is it every time i see, hear or read The Greater Good, i think of Hot Fuzz?! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:27 am 

Congrats to Matt on a well earned win!
Good onya Duro for running the show.
8)

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:51 pm 

Congrats to Matt and thank you for a fun campaign!

Joel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:37 am 

Thanks, and thanks very much for running it Frosthammer. It was great fun, and I'm looking forward to the tournament on Sunday.
I have one final battle report to post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:38 am 

Vior'la Tau vs Onyx's Iron Warriors
This was the final round of the Naraka Sector Crisis EPIC:Armageddon Campaign that has been fought in the month of November, and although I didn't realise it until after the game I had gradually caught up with Steve (Onyx)'s Iron Warriors who had consistently topped the leaderboard, scoring victory after victory over imperials and xenos alike.

Even after we scaled down to 2000 points (the size of next weekend's tournament) Onyx's army featured a spacecraft, two defiler formations, two super heavy tanks, scouts, helltalons and a supreme commander formation in landraiders.

Deployment

Tau objectives were weighted to the right (consciously chosen to make this the best place for Tau to deploy, and thus for the enemy spacecraft to plot its blast attacks before the game, and thus a place I can leave empty)

The Iron warriors chose to stack the opposite side of the board. Two Tau scout screens of tetras split the centre, and we were ready to go.

The board was pretty crowded with terrain - much more crowded than it looks at first glance, because the long walls are actually tall enough to block line of sight to and from tanks, defilers and skimmers, so from most unit's point of view might as well be a mile high.

The clearest area was the gap between the long hill and the ruins, soon to be known as Death Valley.

Defilers prepare cannon and claw for battle.

Suicidal/Sacrifical tetras rush forward in a double move, firing their one missile at an ineffective 6+ but hoping to draw fire while placing markerlights.

A Moray begins to glide down Death Valley, enemy Defilers just in sight in ruins. With the defilers markerlight, a couple exploded to macro weapon hits. The Iron Warriors soon began pounding the Moray in return.

In an attempt to gain a decisive advantage as early as possible, Sunshark bombers screamed in to hit the supreme commander's formation with pulse bombs. Coming in from the same angle, barracudas strafed the formation in a follow up attack from the same angle, killing the commander and removing the enemy reroll.

Steve's run of poor luck continued as his Space craft refused to show up, and with no reroll it would have to wait for turn two.

Continuing the air offensive while the targets were still illuminated, an Orca dropped in from orbit, only to find it had attracted the attention of two helltalons. They hit it with a blast marker, but fortunately for the passengers didn't manage to destroy it.

Crisis suits jetpacked out, and hit Defilers with markerlit macro weapons at close range, killing two and breaking the formation.

Riptides moving forward into the ruins.

A double move up Death Valley brought the riptide's 45cm weapons in to range, but with Super Heavy Tanks lurking behind the hill that works both ways.

The Iron Warrior tanks used ignore cover macro blasts to kill a crisis suit and two gun drones, forcing them to flee broken.

In turn 2, hell talons came in to attack the survivors.

The Iron Warrior counter attack was impressive, leading to this shot in Death Valley as weapon hits and blast markers stack up on the Moray, Riptides, suits and the small tetra screen attempting to keep the enemy at bay.

It's like the 4th of July in there, but I don't see any Tau celebrating!

The game was decidedly turning in Tau's direction by this time, due to a combination of bad luck and dice rolls on Steve's side made worse by the lack of a supreme commander.

By the closing moves of turn 3, Steve knew he had to take the two objectives on the left side of the field to stay in the game, so did a triple move (March) with his scouts to secure them both.

Sunshark bombers screamed in overhead, placing enough hits on the scout holding who was within range of the central objective to kill him, preventing them from holding it and also breaking the formation.

Firewarriors took the right, tetras stole the blitz and while the Defilers regrouped to prevent the 'They Shall Not Pass' objective it was a 3-0 to Tau due to the enemy BTS being the first unit killed.

With that result, the Tau won the game and the Campaign.

Steve played well (as always) and we both agreed this wasn't a reflection of the relative power of the armies. I think a combination of good luck (Tau), bad luck (IW), the early loss of the supreme commander and some poor regroup rolls were major factors. The fact that I didn't fire a single shot in turn 1 that wasn't markerlit was another big contributor - that's not easy to orchestrate since it means placing very vulnerable formations up close to enemies, but is great when it happens.

I am also happy to say that with a few very minor tweaks requested by Epic Tau controller YME-LOC, the Vior'la Tau go from experimental to development status next week, and look forward to the list being played in more international locations.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:58 am 

thanks for the great AAR Matt :)

and excellent news about the list stepping up to developmental status!