Round 1 - Orange vs monty1979
Lilith v Sonnia
Orange and monty - destroy the evidence (we each did this, I didn't realise we probably should have done the shared version)
Orange - breakthrough (announced), stake a claim (hidden)
monty - breakthrough (announced), grudge (announced)
Deployment - corners
Orange - Lilith, Mature Nephilim, 3 x Terror Tots, Malifaux Cherub (+4 SS) - not painted
monty - Sonnia, Sammael, Executioner, 2 x Witchling Stalker - fully painted
Results - Orange 5, monty 4
Orange - 2 VPs for destroying 2 evidence tokens, 2 VPs for achieving anncounced breakthrough, 1 VP for achieving hidden stake a claim
monty - 2 VPs for achieving announced breakthrough, 2 VPs for achieving announced grudge
This was a very tight game! I was winning the battle but losing the war after taking out Sammael and Sonnia early on, but monty's executioner was both destroying and tying up my models while his stalkers inevitably went toward the evidence counters. He achieved grudge when the executioner pretty much one-shotted my mature nephilim with a red joker! An intervention by speedy Lilith effectively stopped the stalkers destroying enough tokens, before transposing back to try and take out the executioner.
I thought I'd done that, but after Lilith killed the executioner, he slow-to-die killed a terror tot and came back to full health! I could have screamed.
At the start of turn 6 I had no victory points--I'd destroyed 1 evidence token, but that was it. So after losing the initiative the executioner failed the scratch Lilith but then...
She broke from combat with a Red Joker, moved a second time into base contact with my stake a claim terrain piece and a second evidence token, and with her third action destroyed the evidence token--all whilst being in monty's deployment zone. So in one fell swoop, Lilith won me the game--just.
1) If you're going to try to kill the executioner (though monty says ignoring it is best, and I see his point), make sure there's nothing nearby he can kill with his slow-to-die action.
2) Hold onto high masks! The amount of times I failed to cast 'grow' because I needed a 10 or more of masks was frustrating. I was sitting on 2 blood tokens I never used.
3) Don't outrun your cherub--in the turns it would have been most useful, it was too far behind to do anything.
4) Sonnia is still my bunny. I've lost far, far more games of Malifaux than I've won. but aside from beating the Judge once, every other win has been against Sonnia
Thanks for the game monty.
Let me know when you are free Bokke and WanderingFool
_________________Also known as Peter
- my record of painting and gaming in all sorts of 28mm games