[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Causes over Forces? - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:51 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
 Post subject: Causes over Forces?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:42 am 

Question best illustrated with an example.

I have an Obstinate Baloth which reads "If a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard Obstinate Baloth, put it blah blah blah"

If my opponent has for example a reckless scholar which reads "target player draws a card, then discards a card"

If I have more cards in my hand than just the baloth and he targets me with the scholar, can I choose to discard the Baloth, thus triggering it onto the battlefield?

Or do I have to have no choice and be forced to discard it? My gut says yes I can discard it and cheat it onto the battlefield but I wanted to check.

Post subject: Re: Causes over Forces?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:02 pm 

I think it is important, in this situation, to understand what everything is.

Your opponent's Reckless Scholar's activated ability is, "Tap: Target player draws a card, then discards a card." When this ability is activated, the owner of the trigger is your opponent. So, if he targets you with it, you can discard Obstinate Baloth for the desired effect since "a spell or ability controls causes you to discard" it.

Another way of putting it is that the game has very few way to check for whether you were forced to do something. I can't think of any replacement effects that would do this anyway.

Post subject: Re: Causes over Forces?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:49 pm 

Quote:
I think it is important, in this situation, to understand what everything is.

Your opponent's Reckless Scholar's activated ability is, "Tap: Target player draws a card, then discards a card." When this ability is activated, the owner of the trigger is your opponent. So, if he targets you with it, you can discard Obstinate Baloth for the desired effect since "a spell or ability controls causes you to discard" it.

Another way of putting it is that the game has very few way to check for whether you were forced to do something. I can't think of any replacement effects that would do this anyway.
Yeah, seems obvious in hindsight.

The "forced" effects I had in mind were when your opponent for example chooses a card from your hand to discard, or forces you to discard x cards where x is equal to or more than the number of cards in your hand. Situations where there is no choice in other words.

But like you said, the game doesn't incorporate a difference between whether it's forced or not.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable