[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
a couple of other questions - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:52 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:57 pm 

can anyone tell me a website or somewhere that could tell me what all the different abilities do. i saw on some of my cards things like haste and trample, and pulled out some old cards i found in my room and they all sorts of weird abilities on them, just wondering if anyone new what they all meant because they dont all say what the abilities do on the cards.

also i went into tactics today and bought?.... invasion of the spawn, i think thats what the deck was called and a couple of eldrazi boosters, and picked some cards out to make 60 cards in total, i just wanted to confirm that this is the right amount of cards to use on friday nights and if any of the cards i have are banned. a few of the cards that i liked and subsequently chuked in have a 7 looking symbol on them if that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 pm 

(1)
No.. never buy those crappy decks.
Bad news-> its full of crap and not worth your money. If you need a starter deck at least get a duel of planeswalkers like garruk vs lixxxx (You get two foil cards *_* and decent trade material).
Good news-> You can upgrade and make a eldrazi red/green spawn deck which is cheap and competitive tho since you already bought that starter.

(2)
about the abilities: This ?
Dont worry about most of it because they arent even used in standard anymore. Just be familiar with 'Core Set keywords' and 'Keyword actions.'
You can ignore the third part of the website which is 'Keywords from Expert-Level expansions,' they arent that difficult to understand but we dont use most of em anymore.

(3)
If you havent bought any cards this year (from shards/alara/etc -> roe) they cant be played unless they were reprinted (eg. 7th giant growth can be played 'today' because its in m10). 7th edition is like 4~5 years old :P Lemme sift though your lands/foils I can make trades for new cards! Bwt, 'normal' or 'standard' tournaments are only held 1x a month at the end of the month at tactics. There are other places but its more competitive. Every other friday is limited: booster draft tho.

I'm at city Tue,Thurs,Fri. Meet me up for trades!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:58 pm 

Quote:
(1)
No.. never buy those crappy decks.
Bad news-> its full of crap and not worth your money. If you need a starter deck at least get a duel of planeswalkers like garruk vs lixxxx (You get two foil cards *_* and decent trade material).
Good news-> You can upgrade and make a eldrazi red/green spawn deck which is cheap and competitive tho since you already bought that starter.
The bad news isn't exactly true all the time. Rat's Nest, a Betrayers of Kamigawa pre-constructred deck/intro pack had a card that was worth more than the entire deck itself (retail) since it had Umezawa's Jitte. It is true most of the time, but not all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:09 pm 

D: then pirates came out of nowhere and bought all the boxes in stock and sold it on ebay/other forums (There was 8 countries that reported this). lol :P i heard that one before. Its happening again already *cough elspeth*

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:11 pm 

i really want to play black could you suggest a good starting deck thats competive as well maybe just starting with one colour would be the best idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:17 pm 

vamps are black and they will 'hold their value' next expansion. Their gonna be super aggro with vamp lacerator aka carnophage! + vampire hex mage and the new lord taken from m11 spoilers:

Captivating Vampire 1BB (Rare)
Creature – Vampire
Other Vampires you control get +1/+1.
Tap five untaped vampires you control : You gain control of target creature.
It becomes vampire in addition to other types.
2/2

1 mana for a 3/3 vampire is insane! (Vampire lacerator)
2 mana for a 3/2 first strike is great too (Vampire Hexmage) + 3/2 bloodghast (most annoying vampire)
3 mana for new lord + Vampire Nighthawk 3/4 deathtouch
4 mana tendrils of corruption! (probably out)
5 mana Malakar bloodwitch
and tons of removal !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:45 pm 

Tendrils of Corruption is probably out, because Corrupt is in.

I used to run 4 Corrupts back when Necropotence was Standard legal.. like '98.

Tendrils of Corruption is 4 mana, instant speed, only hits creatures.
Corrupt is 6 mana, sorcery, but hits players and creatures.

It's not really a Vamp card due to the high cost. Still, I can probably see myself running it so I can Corrupt people's faces off. \o/

As long as you buy from the sets I mentioned in my previous reply, you won't have anything banned, nor anything that'll rotate out. Zendikar. Worldwake. Eldrazi.

As hnnl said, Vampires is probably a reasonably good starting deck and somewhat competitive. I have 4 Vampire Nocturnus and 3 Kallastria Highborn. All you'd really need to after that is Malakir Bloodwitches and Bloodghasts... the rest are commons/uncommons apart from the Marsh Flats and Verdant Catacombs- but you don't need them at beginner level I guess.

The most cost and time-efficient way of building a decent deck is asking us to write you a list then purchasing the cards directly.

edit:

This is pretty much the same decklist I posted before, but I budgeted it down a bit.

3 Malakir Bloodwitch ($5 rare)
4 Vampire Nocturnus ($25 rare, pre-release foils are only $15 and I have them)
4 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Vampire Hexmage
3 Kalastria Highborn ($5 rare, I also have them)
3 Bloodghast ($5 rare)
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir

2 Mind Sludge
4 Tendrils of Corruption
3 Urge to Feed
4 Sign in Blood

4 Evolving Wilds
17 Swamp
2 Dread Statuary

But yeah. If you want to play straight black, the only two options are really Black Control and Vampires- and Vampires is more far more competitive.

Last edited by Obeisance on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:52 pm 

could you write me a vampire list that would be much appreciated. and then were can i order them from?.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:54 pm 

I generally order from http://online.goodgames.com.au/ but I'm finding them a bit expensive.

Also remember hnnl said he'd *give* you a bunch of stuff for Vampires, so I'd consult with him before making a purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:14 am 

Argh just finished another 7 hrs of study... I am pratically a vampire during exam week! Yep, I can provide zen/wwk/roe unc/common but i dont have m10 cards because i started like 4-~5mths ago D;. If you notice most cards (half) are from m10, still helps you tho.

Since Obi is breaking his vamp deck, you could also buy off/trade him some of his unc/common that I am unable to provide you. Again, its much better if you have a budget so me/anybody knows what kind of decklist to provide to you. There's nothing wrong if you can only fork out say $50 for a first deck since you are just starting out... we all have to start somewhere!

Not trying to confuse you, you could just play drafts for now and get some rares/trade-able uncommon from the draft which is how I started. Its kinda bad rare drafting in ROE(this expansion) because they is not much expensive cards (you can get lucky if people pass you gideon jura $50 tho... happened to me :) and 4 guys who sat next to me got gideon jura too.. very wierd? But true!) compared to when I started 4~5 mths at end of wwk/zen which had so many $11 dollar land cards(they were only like $7 then and people passed me 3x misty rainforest, 2x verdant catacomb 1x marsh flats D;). This also teaches you different colors, you get trade material once you decide on the deck, even playing field since all cards are from booster draft and... its only $15 per week. And you'll be happier trading and meeting more people.

Edit: I think its more like 5 mths now ><' All i can remember is I started this year lol... I'll check my email to see when I started

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:48 am 

That's pretty awesome, that you pulled a Gideon. He's like, the second most expensive card in Standard. He literally sells for about $50.

Trading him off, will get you a good chunk of stuff you need for your deck.

If I were you, I'd either a) Keep him until you're going to use him or b) Trade him for as many Marsh Flats and Verdant Catacombs as you can get.

ImageImage

They don't seem like much, but they provide deck thinning (allowing you to draw better cards) and in Vampires, they have a very important role.. they let you shuffle your library, to try to change the top card to black for Nocturnus.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:37 pm 

^ pack 1 second pick lol!!!!! *morning*

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable