[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Recommendations for boardgames - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:21 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:32 pm 

Hey there. :)

Playing a bunch of boardgames lately has got me keen to play more, and buy into some. As they tend to be on the pricey side, I'm reluctant to just buy out of curiosity or on faith of Boardgamegeek scores.

So! I'm wondering if people in the WG community could provide me with recommendations on board games or card games that they like, and include a description of the game (setting, goals, brief overview of mechanics) and the number of players it can (or should) have.

(no need to recommend Chaos In The Old World, Game Of Thrones, Battlestar Galactica, or Caverna... they're all great)

Cheers! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:35 pm 

With card games, I'm particularly interested in those that might take only an hour or less to play. Played Cthulhu Fluxx on the weekend, and that was pretty great; Munchkin of any kind is also awesome. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:44 pm 

7 Wonders, Core Worlds and Among the Stars are some of my favourite card games at the moment. Core Worlds

Both use a drafting mechanic where players are dealt x cards, they take one then pass to the right/left. If you're familiar with Magic, you'll be familiar with the Draft concept.

7 Wonders has you building a psuedo civilisation and wonders, while Among the Stars has you building a Space Ship as you go. 7 Wonders is normally done in 30-40 minutes, while Among the Stars is currently around 60. Core worlds is like a Rochester Draft/Deckbuilding style of game, but focuses on colonising planets and building up forces in a Sci-Fi setting.

I have Eminent Domain (another scifi one), Blood Bowl Team Manager and The New Era (Post Apoc) card games that I still have yet to hit the table for me. But once all seem to have received good reviews. As you said though - scores are always subjective :)

Cafe Myriad or WABA might be a good place to try before you buy though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:13 pm 

Love letter. Get passed the name and it's an amazingly fun and quick game to play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:13 pm 

Plus it's like $15

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Love letter. Get passed the name and it's an amazingly fun and quick game to play.
I enjoy Love Letter, but I think it's highly overrated. Not a fan of the fact you can be knocked out of a round before even getting a turn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, and Greg - Spartacus. I could recommend you a bunch of others, but dude seriously - Spartacus. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:56 pm 

So an additional question would be: where's the best place to purchase these games online? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Honestly - I still buy most of my board games from Tactics. Main reason being that a lot of board game boxes are hefty, which makes postage a total killer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:30 pm 

Jesus, where to start. I've played a ridiculous amount of board games due to Polar's influence. Guess I'll talk about a few I really liked.

King of Tokyo (plus expansions)
It's basically giant monsters, Yahtzee and upgrade cards. Easy game to teach, great game to sit around and play while having a few beers with friends. I've played it with four groups- each one has purchased a copy afterwards.

Nothing Personal
At first, I disliked the game. It was complicated, I'm whiny and I hate losing. Then I started to get the hang of it and ended up winning. So, yay. It's basically a game where you play as a crime syndicate/family, trying to earn the respect of your peers. Blackmail and whacking people.

Tsuro (and Tsuro by the Sea)
A really simple maze style game. Quick, easy and fun.

Love Letter
Initially, I was like- I don't want to play a game called "Love Letter" but it turned out to be pretty good. It's kinda like Go Fish with player elimination and card counting.

Manhattan Project
It's a game about being the first to build nuclear weapons. Loved it.

Tomorrow
The world is overpopulated and humanity is on a clock. Counting down to extinction. The only solution is to depopulate large portions of the globe, using biological, cyberspace and military attacks. While trying not to use nukes. Really good.

Ticket to Ride was decent.
Power Grid is pretty good, but takes forever.
Arkham Horror was pretty good.
Zombicide is okay. Expansions are good.
Firefly was all right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:33 pm 

I second King of Tokyo, it is great fun, its a press your luck dice rolling game with a Japanese monster movie theme, easily get 3-4 games done in an hour, highly recommend.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (crap title yeh) is very good as well, its a co-op deck building version of D+D basically, with some really cool mechanics, each scenario has a number of locations which are small decks, when your character goes to that location you draw the top card and proceed like that. One scenario can be played in about an hour depending on number of players.

Also just played Defender of the Realm, another D+D based game. Very cool, the best way I can describe it is a co-op game that mixes elements of Risk and Talisman. This one takes a bit longer, probly 2-3 hours. As a bonus it has excellent artwork by Larry Elmore.
Amazon isnt bad if you want to order online, as Tactics often has games out of stock and it can take them a while to get stuff in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Not a fan of Tsuro of the Sea. That game has some really pointless mechanics. :P

Nothing Personal has certainly piqued my interest recently as it looks like exactly the kind of backstabbity theme that I tend to love and the components look amazing. There's a kickstarter for a couple of expansions to it that's just wrapped up as well.

One thing I have heard about this game that makes me hesitant though - is that apparently there are some over strong cards that can be used in the late game to put someone in an immediate winning position in such a way that the other players can't really stop them and it makes a lot of the lead up game irrelevant? Haven't played it yet myself so can't speak to that - but curious if you have any feedback on it Jase?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:04 pm 

Defenders of the Realm is a very similiar but still different from Pandemic. Much fun!

I buy most of my games through Games Empire.

http://gamesempire.com.au/

I've used most online places and I've found Games Empire to be the best. They don't have the huge range that others do, but have alot of popular games and accessories. I placed an order a couple of days ago, a huge order around 10kg worth and postage is a flat $10+ 10% of order for insurance. Cost me around $15 bucks postage for a $370 order.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:05 pm 

Recently picked up Betrayal at House on the Hill: You play as a group exploring a haunted mansion. As the game progresses and you find followers and items "The Haunt" starts and one player becomes the villain, tasked with taking out the rest of the party. Amazingly good fun though sometimes the traitor can feel a little picked on.
and
Pandemic: Players vs Boardgame. You're a team of scientists from the CDC fighting global virus outbreaks. Really fun teamwork game. When you beat the game on hard difficulty you really feel like you've accomplished something. Even when you lose it can be a lot of fun too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:47 pm 

http://bookdepository.com/ is a pretty decent place to buy games. They don't have a board game section on their site. Just type in what you're looking for, they have a pretty good range, competitive pricing and free international shipping. I generally find it takes about a week for goods to arrive.