[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Fortnightly Board Gaming Group Discussion Thread - Page 34 - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:01 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36 Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:23 am 

Pandemic is an awesome fun one - I really want to get Defenders of the Realm back on the table which is very similiar but with a more monster/fantasy setting. Imagine each disease is a general that needs to be beat up :)

LNOE - I was thinking Timber Peak rules with that Scenario. Will check if it's too unbalanced with super zombies ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:10 am 

Cool. Couple of Questions that came up last night was does descent need a DM? Is it kind of war hammer quest like?

I could probably go to BGG but always nice to get a local view point

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:13 am 

Descent needs an Overlord (DM) and is slightly favoured towards the Heroes, but it is an awesomely fun game. Highly recommended. The mechanics are simple enough and the levelling up skills give you enough options to flesh out your guy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 am 

There are a couple of games out there similiar to Descent but don't require an overlord.

This is a Kickstarter that should be out shortly - I went a bit too heavy into this so may have a spare copy to offload at some stage :)

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/140519/myth

Also - Mice and Mystics is another one where the game controls the enemy.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1247 ... nd-mystics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:56 am 

Quote:
I went a bit too heavy into this so may have a spare copy to offload at some stage :)
Dibs!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 pm 

Descent was cool! Really liking the swapping of Characters and the new expansion characters as well.

So next session

Sept 19th
Descent and Letters from Whitechapel
Venue?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:47 am 

Who swapped characters? I just learnt how to throw my sword.

Its going to be interesting to see how the new skills work in the group, though I can see the Beastman being able to run solo with his wolf. Geezer and I would probably hang out together cursing people, while Mok does what Mok does, by Mokking his Mok Mok.

MOK!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:09 pm 

I was pretty happy we managed to loot everything in that scenario. That Scorpion Helm is going to be really handy with your ranged stuff.

The Kickstarter I was talking about last night was Alien Uprising. Unless this goes berserk with extra's I'll probably cancel my pledge. The postage is stupid $59 for an $50 game.

Gencon video with some gameplay.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 pm 

Mok Mok Mok Mok Mok!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:04 pm 

Well, my gaming group seems to have slipped into board games with no current war gaming campaigns underway.

This week we played
Tobago
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42215/tobago

Only Talanis had played before (once?) and by about the 2nd treasure find his comment was "I have never seen this game played so competitively before"... fueled largely by my screaming around the islands collecting all the amulets, sometimes sacrificing one just to gain one (and deny it to everyone else). Not sure if that was a good strategy but it seemed to pay off with me walking away with the largest haul, and dodging two curses.

That was followed by a quick game of
HEAP
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119639/heap

The Gorkamorka style of this game sucked me in, and I'm still undecided. The mechanics (no pun intended) are such that theres this big build up to the end game, at which point you chuck everything you have worked to achieve. I understand why (many of the upgrades would serve no purpose) , it just feel a a little anticlimactic. I do like the "all on the cards" mechanic though. You have to make some tough choices about balancing cards as parts, as combat cards, or even holding them as parts for the next round, while trying to be the 1st to the heap with the biggest haul. I need to play more games to make a call on this one.

We rounded out the night with a couple of games of Guilds of Cadwallon, where Talanis got his revenge on me and I was left with a load of militia in both games :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:06 pm 

Nice, my wife loves Tobago, it's such a unique elimination style game :) Boardgames... be careful - you'll end up addicted :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 am 

@advanceop

I picked heap up on the basis that Infernal Contraption was a good bit of fun and the bodger part of PP universe is hilarious.

Having only had a couple of games I am over it and kind of wish I hadn't bothered a) buying it b) wasted my time playing it.

It is far to linear and the end game kind of comes down to luck of the draw and some logic around when to play which cards. Maybe if you want a game to play when you are absolutely off your face drunk? I think that is the only time the decisions would be challenging and the outcomes made funny. I would rather play an ameritrash or poorly formed party game.

Or connect a car battery to my nipples.

Either way the game belongs on its namesake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 am 

lol... a scathing review there Aenur :) but I tend to agree. I'm willing to give it a few more games... I kind of feel there's a subtly I am missing... Or maybe I just want to believe. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 am 

Ahh buyers remorse :) I've been lucky so far, the only game I've got that I'm really undecided on is Seasons... it seems to be best played with only 2 players, which for a drafting game seems kind of odd. When we played it 3 players it was ok, but there were a couple of really over powered cards. I've got to hassle my daughter into trying it 2 player to see if its a better game. I should have done more research as on the BGG site, it's listed as best with 2 players. It was apparently designed to be a 2 player game, then expanded to 4 players.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:06 pm 

Quote:
...it's such a unique elimination style game
Oh oh, don't get Brett to play then. He'll be out first turn :)

I don't see how Seasons would be a better 2 player game rather than 4. I'd have thought with 4 players you can mitigate the powerful cards a little more, rather than have one person draw the same card three times. Plus having three people smash the run away leader help balance it a bit more than just 2 players.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36 Next