[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Fortnightly Board Gaming Group Discussion Thread - Page 32 - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:35 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 3436 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:55 pm 

Did we all agree on what game we're playing after Descent? Was it City of Horrors?

If so let the back stabbing begin (at Geoffs?)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:28 pm 

City of Horrrrror! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:32 pm 

City of Hordor?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:02 am 

Just for you Brett, What, What in the Butt.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:18 am 

You wanna put it in mah butt, butt what what?
On another note, I liked City of Hordor despite being a bit peeved when eliminated...I need to give it another crack now that I know what to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 am 

I recently got Castle Panic, and it's a pretty fun co-op game. I've been waiting for them to announce this for a while, but it sounds like a co-op version of Last Nights Mansion mode - ie defend the mansion!

http://www.firesidegames.com/deadpanic.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:19 pm 

That mansion scenario is brutal. I've never seen the heroes survive that one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:30 pm 

Sounds like a challenge! Wonder how it would play with the new Timber Peak rules for experience etc in it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:35 pm 

Is it at my house this week? I can't remember.

Since we're rebooting Descent, I had a look at some of the other scout guys and decided to dump Tits McGee;

For this badass;

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:42 pm 

Glad you reminded me! I've got to get the models and cards sorted :) Any other last minute character changes? I was thinking of giving them a quick lick of paint :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:48 am 

I picked up the expansion to Lords of Waterdeep and it is quite fun after playing it at PAX. Do people want to play that after Descent?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:04 am 

Think we had Shadows of Camelot planned - but I'm easy either way :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:46 pm 

You're right. I forgot about that. I'm easy as well either way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 pm 

I noticed we've been playing many worker placement games lately and was wondering what everyone's take on them was. Since we have this thread, we should probably utilise it a bit more. So, discuss!

Lords of Waterdeep: You can't go wrong with DnD, but other than the names there isn't anything in it that relates to DnD. I didn't even realise the orange cubes were fighters until Scott mentioned it, I just thought they were orange cubes. The corruption tokens were a nice addition to the base game and I was amazed at how much of it you guys were gobbling up. The biggest annoyance for me was the huge difference in quest tasks and rewards. Some had many requirements for minimal reward, but others had a massive VP reward for less. I did like being able to steal other people's buildings and having first turn wasn't that much of an advantage, since everyone was doing their own thing.

Manhattan Project: This game had more interaction between players, since you could bomb the crap out of each other, even when it didn't make sense. I liked the way you could rig up your buildings to create a production line and pump out the materials. It was good that the game had no turn limit so you didn't feel pressured in cranking out the bombs, but you did need to keep an eye on what everyone else was producing.

Belfort: This needs another go, but from the first run it took awhile to get my head around the turn structure, since it was different from what I'm used to. Having to lay out your buildings on the bigger map was a nice touch and allowed more strategic playing in stopping others. I also like the way they handle taking the first turn. For some reason the game felt way too short.

General view: I find there is little interaction during these games. Everyone is concentrating on their own objectives and no one is really all that interested in what anyone else is doing, let alone trying to stop them. Because of that they seem to end anticlimatic and there isn't too much cheering going on at the end. Take other similar style games, where you are working towards VP/Influence doing your own thing, like Amongst the Stars, Quarantine and Spartacus (yes, Spartacus), but you have a greater influence on blocking/screwing with your opponents. There is way more interaction in those games.

Having said that, I don't think they are crap games in the slightest, in fact some are quite well designed and I'd play any of them again, but compare the last few sessions with those when we played Battlestar Galactic or the infamous Rex. Which would you say is more enjoyable?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:18 pm 

Some of the worker placement games don't have much interaction, while I find others are much more interconnected and involved.

Lords - I think part of the issue with the first player token was that I corrupted up the tile and the building part. I was expecting people to grab it, but they didn't. Funny you should say about the theme and the orange cubes being warriors... I still don't know what the Black cubes are meant to represent. For me I find it lacks theme... I complete a quest using these different cubes and it just seems like they're not connected. "Oh I need a White Black Purple to complete this" as opposed to "I send in the Goth, Wizard and 'Normal' guy in". Also the timed turns are good to keep it short, but I just don't feel like I'm working towards anything other than trying to optimize my turns. I find Lords suffers from just focusing on what you're doing and ignoring everyone else.

Manhatten for me just ooozes theme. I actually feel like I'm trying to build an atomic bomb. It's probably one of my favourite worker placement games as it has some interaction and also makes you keep track of what people have. I think the VP needs to be adjusted as it does seem to end rather quickly at 45. Would love to try it at 70 points, see if there would be a run away leader.

Belfort was pretty unique in its implementation, but as you said, need to finish a game with this one before deciding. Again having a certain number of turns to play isn't my favourite, but I'm keen to try it again.

I'll throw out this one as well...

This really surprised me, I got it as a gateway game for a couple my wife and I play with. The rules were abit heavy for a gateway game, but it played really well. I'm keen to get this on the board and see what people think about it. Problem being it's only 4 player.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 3436 Next