[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Returning: Star Trek - Wings of the Archangel - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:24 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:16 pm 

Star Trek: Wings of the Archangel

Greetings,

Just putting the word out for all those people (new and old) interested in participating in Star Trek campaign.
The game is now back on the table and scheduled to return in February 2013.
We are looking at adding some additional personnel to our small roster,

Here is what you can expect:

- Episodic format (series of mini campaigns) science fiction role playing game set in post DS9 Star Trek universe,
- Based on ICON game system (using Space Dock or Full Thrust/Impulse supplements for space combat),
- A universe that maintains a good balance between science and super science, balanced towards playability and realism,
- Non protagonist centred galaxy, with player characters being an important part of it (but not the centre of everything),
- A rich setting filled with realistic NPCs, plausible events, possessing its own direction and flavour one that remains respectful (though not centred) of existing Star Trek lore,
- Player characters with officer postings on-board 7th Rapid Response Fleet flag ship USS Archangel, Sovereign Class,
- Variety of gaming aids (maps, artwork, music and other props) available to make the experience that much more memorable,

Here is what we are looking for:

- Dedicated players with strong preference in role playing over roll playing,
- People possessing social graces and understanding the implications of social contract where role playing games are concerned,
- Players not shy to commit to writing personal logs or assisting with design and procurement of gaming aids,
- Extensive knowledge of Star Trek lore is NOT required,
- This is not a casual game, please think carefully before expressing your interest,

Expression of interest accepted via PM or e-mail, ad posted at Tactics...
Further resources can be viewed at : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=14060

Kind Regards
Daniel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:45 pm 

Feb sounds great!!! as always my hand is up

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:18 pm 

Good to have you back on-board lieutenant... :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:15 pm 

Turec, reporting for duty Captain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:40 pm 

Welcome back lieutenant...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:48 am 

All the best guys, wish I could join you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:25 pm 

I would like to thank everyone for their expression of interest so far :)
As I am preparing the campaign I have decided to use this forums to post some setup details.

Please note that this is a Starfleet campaign (all characters are Starfleet Officers) and as such the following departments are recognised as active on-board of Archangel.

Command,
Engineering,
Intelligence,
Medical,
Operations,
Security,
Science,
Tactical,

Additionally, the following ranks will be available to all player characters:

Cadet,
Ensign,
Lieutenant (Junior)
Lieutenant (Senior)
Lieutenant Commander (in game promotion required)
Commander (in game promotion required)

As it is recommended by Star Trek Role Playing Game Rules, the role of Commanding Officer will rest with the Narrator.

Kind Regards
Daniel

Last edited by Ebon Hawk on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:36 pm 

I'm interested depending on frequency, day and time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:52 pm 

At this time the game is expected to start in early February 2013.
With no less than two sessions a month (usually fortnightly), on Saturday late afternoon/evening (usually between 15.00 and 21.00)
Though the above details and location are yet to be confirmed (this will be a group decision).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 pm 

The campaign setup is moving forward (even though the re-launch date is still 7 weeks away).
We are aiming for a group of no more than 6 players, currently 3 places are filled and 2 players are in discussion.

This is the current, tentative state of postings:

Command (available, special requirements, see below)
Engineering (available, considerable knowledge of trek tech required)
Intelligence (available, considerable knowledge of trek setting required)
Medical (available)
Operations (available)
Security (player character, lieutenant rank)
Science (player character, lieutenant rank)
Tactical (player character, lieutenant rank)

The role of 3IC (3rd in command) falls to tactical at this time, though the position of EXO will eventually be open to a player character (it has been a tradition in this game that the potential EXO player character has to excel at the game and be acknowledged as a candidate by the rest of the group).

I am also looking at introducing less experienced players or players not interested in running the whole department at a rank of ensign, inserting him/her into another player operated department (chain of command applies).

Last edited by Ebon Hawk on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:46 pm 

I would be interested in medical :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:20 am 

after getting an email from vonpickles alerting me of this campaigns very existance im interested
just a few questions though

1 for enginerring what would be considered a considerable knowledge? just wondering
2 what is opperations i dont think ive ever herd of that post in my watchings???
thats all for now thanks

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon... quote terry pratchett

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:18 pm 

Greetings,

Thank you for your interest, here is some insight from my end.

Operations primarily deals with ship operations, though extends to auxiliary crafts and facilities as well.
In the Star Trek: Next Generation TV series, Commander Data manages the said department.

Operations generally handles day to day personnel assignments (quarters and watches, cooperating with command department), ships resources (perishables and other finite items), sensor use (cooperating with science), transporters, computer cores (cooperating with engineering), shuttle bay and auxiliary crafts (in some cases operation officers may handle navigation alongside of con and command officers).
In a way one could say that an operation officer is a cog that keeps all other departments working well together.

It should be noted that Operations also refers to departments involved in operation of the ship (this includes security, engineering and so forth),
But in this context is no different from Science including medical and other similar roles.
In our setting (as it is in Star Trek) each department reports to the command department, head of command department is the captain, of course the ship, on day to day basis, is generally run by executive officer (1st officer).

Where engineering is concerned, a general principle here would be that an engineering player character would have a clear understanding of some of the principal technologies as seen in Star Trek. This means that some knowledge of lore in relation to warp speed, impulse speed, ships design, field equipment design and repair would go a long way (basically Narrator should not need to spend time explaining to the engineer how things work, the engineer, in principle should know that).

It is true that we have tempered a lot of Star Trek's super science to facilitate better, more involving game-play (dealing with a lot of unnecessary "I Win", "You Die", "Techo Bubble", "Problem of the Moment" issues), it is something that we often discuss at the table to ensure that the game has a strong foundation, is well balanced and realistic (we like realism), is both playable and enjoyable and at the same time feel like Star Trek. An engineering character would be expected to show some initiative where this is concerned.

Examples of tempered lore include:

- energy weapons generally have two settings only, (lethal and non-lethal),
- personal armour and shielding plays significant though well balanced role,
- transporters operate in: site to site or site to field site modes only, (facilitating greater use of auxiliary crafts)
- replicators provide complex nutritional supplements but in terms of taste, presentation and quality a properly prepared meal wins,
- medical science have extended life span and slowed down ageing (average human lifespan is 140 years),
- medicine is very advanced, however medical procedure is never instant and may require recovery time,
- use of faster than light travel requires some navigation and course plotting, (introducing greater use of space tactics),
- travel takes time, (Federation spans 10k light years), though experimental slipstream drive exists,
- computer systems offer very high (though not perfect) reliability, their use may take time and may consume finite resources,
- Starfleet Marines do exist (they wear green),
- Borg are rare though when they show up they are the ultimate terror (resistance is most definitely futile),
- very little happens at the speed of plot,

In the end it is worth noting that unlike TV/Movies we are not limited by a special effects budget…
So, some of the decisions listed above were made to make things more interesting and facilitate better role playing.
However, this is the Starfleet campaign, in the end, however many shades of grey there may be, and however flawed so called human condition is, the crew strives to be the good guys.

Hope this answers your questions.

Kind Regards
Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:32 pm 

ok cool
ive watched through voyager at least twice and though i have apsolutly no idea how the technobable works (how come reversing the polarity is always the first thing they try) i know more than just this is the ships engine it makes it go
with this in mind i would like to throw my hat in for engineer
also thanks for taking the time to answer my questions

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon... quote terry pratchett

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 pm 

Thank you all for overwhelming response...
We are aiming for no more than 6 players and are hoping to have as many departments covered as possible.
While I am still collecting expression of interest please note that you may end up waiting until I know the final structure of the group.