[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
am i weird, even for a gamer? - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:42 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:10 pm 

as ive been clearing out some boxes of late i have stumbled upon a heap of old RPG's that id forgotten about and it got me thinking.
what RPG's are being played today, from the posts i see here the majority of games revolve around the GW universe or D&D
and im sitting here thinking does no one else ever play anything else? i currently am playing in an awesome Star Trek game and it has bought my love of RPG's back! but the question i ask is does anyone remember such classics as Ars Magica, Talislanta, Earthdawn, Traveller, Dragon Warriors, any of the Hero/Champions series?
ive been flicking through these titles and im pleasantly reminded as to how fantastic these games are! but they suffer from not being in the public eye, or large corporate tie ins!
so has roleplaying died? are there only a few who still dabble? is it now only a side project for whatever GWverse your currently undertaking, or because its the only game you know about?
i posted a WTS on the trading post of a heap of old RPG's and not one enquiry, not that im complaining about that, just that is it a case of "WTF is that"
i could go on and list all the games i own and have played, but a word or two does not do a game justice or even raising an interest!
i would love to hear comments and others views on this and even if we just share some memories of the days gone by.
so drop a few words on this thread if you love Roleplaying

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:19 pm 

I used to love RPGs, started on AD&D 2nd ed, then after a few years my group got into RIFTS, Cyberpunk 2020 and Shadowrun.

I loved RIFTS out of all of them. Man they had a huge amount of material they just churned out, and it was all so cool (to a 15 year old anyway!).

I don't really have the time for it these days, but my obsession with forum mafia and my currently unfulfilled love of RPGs seem to be inter-connected...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:19 pm 

Champions!! Oh man that brings back good memories!

It's hard to even start looking for a group when you're a middle aged parent with a full time job. Making a regular commitment sounds near impossible. I used to just love reading through the rules and backgrounds, even when I didn't have time or other interested paries to play these obscure rpg's with.

I remember running a Deadlands campaign with friends. We bought a big plywood board to game on and had some kids plastic cowboys and indians set for miniatures. I'd cook up some frozen pizzas or make chilli or some such and we'd play old western soundtracks in the background. Ahh good times.

Joel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:24 pm 

I love roleplaying, but can't afford the time now.

I remember busting out 10+ hour sessions every week when I was young and had minimal repsonsibilities. Now being married and a father I have other things to occupy my time. I still buy new Rules and Source books to read, but I am doubtful I'll get to play anytime soon.

Here's an incomplete list of systems I've played for the sake of nostaglia;

DnD, Earthdawn, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Cybergen, Paranoia, TMNT, WHFRP, GURPS, Star Trek, Gamma World and Judge Dredd.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:48 pm 

Quote:
Champions!! Oh man that brings back good memories!
do you remember playing The Zodiac Conspiracy? that was an awesome adventure! i remember we even played a Robot Heroes game based on Transformers!
Quote:
DnD, Earthdawn, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Cybergen, Paranoia, TMNT, WHFRP, GURPS, Star Trek, Gamma World and Judge Dredd.

yep played most of those too! tho i didnt really like GURPS, and we favoured Shadowrun over Cyberpunk, and Gamma World rocked!
i still have nearly every 1st Ed Earthdawn book released, and the original WHFRP was awesome loved the whole character design concept
Quote:
I loved RIFTS out of all of them. Man they had a huge amount of material they just churned out, and it was all so cool (to a 15 year old anyway!).
yeah rifts was cool! Glitterboys, any TNGR stuff and Juicers!!! yeah some awesome memories there thx!!!

just a few more ive remembered, Aria, Metamorphosis Alpha, Torg, & Dream Park

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:09 pm 

Ditto on not having as much time as I did before kids but I do miss playing RPG's sometimes.

I have never really played one system over others (mainly due to our usual GM being a bit of a magpie....ooh pretty new shiny).

I have played Tunnels & Trolls, D&D, AD&D, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, GURPS, Mutants & Masterminds, Warhammer FRP and others I have forgotten.

Captain Ignatius, Doombringers 3rd Company

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:25 pm 

We sound like a bunch of old farts, talking about the 'Good Old Days' (even so, it was still awesome fun!)

"You know son, when I was a boy we would spend our days getting together and fighting dragons in our minds"

"Wha-? You actually sat in the same room to play and only used paper? Pfft! Whatever Dad, I'm going to play with my friends"

*Goes off to play Playstation online*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:46 pm 

I played ADnD, Middle-Earth Role Playing, Star Trek, Stormbringer (Elric), Star Wars, Aliens (Colonial Marine Corps FTW), Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and a few others I can't remember the names of.

That was a LONG time ago...
I still have just about all the books sitting on the shelf in front of me though. Great memories.
MERP and Stormbringer were my favourites.

I remember torturing my brother during games of Star Wars. He was training to become a Jedi and I kept giving him horrible moral dilemmas (he had the chance to kill the guy that just butchered his Jedi trainer... there was no time to capture him, it was kill him or let him go :twisted: ).

I haven't played a role playing game in over 15 years. Other things have become more important. I can't really see me ever playing them again.

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:57 am 

Yeh 1st ed D+D and Traveller for me, plus some Boot Hill (remember that?) Gamma World and oddly enough the 007 James Bond rpg, which was actually pretty awesome. Sad thing is, I had a pretty much complete collection of the original Traveller rules and modules, about 40-50 books in all, which I threw out in my mid 20's, man I wish I hadnt done that now!
I run some games of AD+D with my kids, which is really cool and they love it, probly a bit more focus on combat and exploring than actual roleplaying, but still good fun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:45 am 

Quote:
I had a pretty much complete collection of the original Traveller rules and modules, about 40-50 books in all, which I threw out in my mid 20's, man I wish I hadnt done that now!
Thats an almost capitol offence!!! hang your head in shame you cad!

most recent discovery of awesomeness! i found my Dragon Star books
i bought this in a frenzy back in the day! awesome concept, and pretty good game. im not normally one to promote "dumb20" games but this one stands out above the rest written by FFG basically its D&D gone to Space, that sounds really simple but its so much fun

i also forgot to mention Dark Conspiracy previously that too was a cool "X Files" style game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:31 am 

I'm coming in at the other end, only recently starting RPG's and loving them (about 3yrs ago now), now I've played all the 40k RPG's (GM deathwatch), GM'd Gamma World (new edition, though you old farts probably remember it :P ), playing DnD 4th ed. and really loving world of darkness. I'm just really loving them in general at the moment :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:50 pm 

I love the 'idea' of RPGs, i just do not have the time.

I even just enjoy reading the (rule)books.

I only got around to playing New Star Wars, DnD 3rd ed and DnD 4th ed.

Simmo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:43 am 

It has been many a year since I last sat around all evening with mates, alcohol and pizza swearing at our DM for throwing too many, too hard obstacles in the way of our characters and their goals. It is a shame that real world issues like work, mortgages, spouses/kids, etc end up consuming all your spare time as you get older.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:33 am 

I love RPG's but time is the biggest challenge. Getting a group that can dedicate the time on a regular basis is the biggest challenge. I've kicked off 2-3 games over the last 5 years or so and each has eventually fallen to Tempus Demonicus.

I loved Rifts right up to the day when I got a response to an email to the authors about correcting the game balance. You know, 1st book classes were SDC and then along come American Indian Shamans with MDC bodies ... anyway, the response basically boiled down to buy more product. My books got sold to Valhalla games shortly after.

Infact most of my RPG's went to Valhalla (that sounds cool) when I sold my soul to GW. I've since updated DnD to 4th and have the Star Wars RPG, and haven't had the heart to get rid of my TMNT 1st edition DnD books.

Shortlist of fond memories by system:
RIFTS: Glitterboy opening fire in a bar fight... kms of destruction :P
TMNT: Ninja Polar Bears!
WHFRPG: Troll Slayer killing a Beast of Nurgle (via some extremely lucky crits IIRC) before it got to move. What have you got to do to kill yourself around here?!
SHADOWRUN: Blowing a Gang Bosses head clean off with one shot from a boat on the Swan river under the Narrow's Bridge! That character was wired and liked to save ammo.
TRAVELLER: What do you mean my characters dead, we haven't finished character generation yet!
ROBOTECH: Motorcycles that transform into armor with missiles... lots of em
DnD: As a DM watching players decide a dungeon door was THE most versatile item in their arsenal. Watching players spent an hour pondering a bricked up doorway and resorting to pulling the bricks out, and then digging a tunnel... all in a spot on the map where I'd drawn a door, and forgotten to put a room behind it :P

... but by far my favorite elements of RPG's was letting the game shaper your character rather than deciding up from by X level I will be Y. Something I think the newer editions of the game almost force you to do. If you want to pick up a specific prestige class, the requirements can drive you down a cookie-cutter path of development. Kind of makes me a Games developers nightmare, because I really only ever pickup the core books, everything else we make up as we go.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:50 pm 

i find it an interesting complaint of not enough time, i roleplay for about 5 hours a fortnight, compared to wargamming with my "man dolly's" is small!
all the hours painting, building a list and actually playing far out weights the handful of hours you may spend with a book, some imagination, and several dice!