[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
New consoles - Page 3 - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:08 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Re: New consoles
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:32 am 

I wish the PS4 was a better media centre. . .or media device - no dvd, no blur ray?!?!
instead it is a social media centre - yay facebook, chatting while playing. . . .le sigh!

boo to the Wii
I am not sure if i need my character ingame to have the same glazed unblinking expression I have :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:33 am 

Sad as it is I only break out my Xbox for cod after a few beers, will give fallout a crack when it arrives, have gone off computer gaming. Prefer the social side of tabletop games.

Perth WMH Champs! Facebook Link!
Warmachine and Hordes West Oz Facbook group

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:23 pm 

Quote:
I wish the PS4 was a better media centre. . .or media device - no dvd, no blur ray?!?!
instead it is a social media centre - yay facebook, chatting while playing. . . .le sigh!

boo to the Wii
I am not sure if i need my character ingame to have the same glazed unblinking expression I have :lol:
PS4 has a blu ray drive though?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:19 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

boo to the Wii
PS4 has a blu ray drive though?
Strangely the PS4 doesn't support DLNA servers or 3d blu-ray playback at launch, but both of these things are to be patched in later. DVD and 2d blu-ray are supported though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:39 am 

how is the XBox One treating people?

Destiny had a new video up, still looks awesome!!

light sourcing and effects seem to be really awesome and advanced on the newer games, not always next gen only games, but it is what i am noticing the most with the newer games, Dying Light looks amazing for this. . . and i guess night/day play a huge part in the story and gameplay so they need to make it look good.

is anyone Beta playing Destiny on their PS3?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:02 am 

I'll most likely pick up a PS4 later on. My PC is tying me over until then.

Infamous second son is pretty much the sole reason i'm getting a PS4. That and i've always had a Playstation. Ah Cool Boarders... such fond memories.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:29 pm 

After having a bit of hands on time with both, I will swing for a ps4 but even then in a year or so as the current consoles will be supported for at least 3 years and by then the ps4 should be much cheaper.

My choice was made up of practicality over specs as I leave that for my PC gaming. the Xbone is larger compared to the ps4, so may have an issue fitting it in the cabinet. It also has an AC power brick, with my set up at home I can't hide it anywhere. The camera kenect thingo is not optional as it is with the ps4. This is something I have no interest in. While they both have some neat interactive components Microsoft is selling that first gaming second, not a bad thing just its suff I don't need. Apparently also voice commands become a pain in a noisy play area or where ever there is a lot of background noise.

Controller wise I hated the 360 controller and glad they kept the ps4 close to the old style though increased in size and weight.

So yeah as I don't have a windows phone, surface or even run windows 8, Xbox 1 has cool stuff but I am just not interested or need, its much like me and smart phones, I have an old brick that I use for calling people. So I think a lot of the gimmicks will be wasted on most people.

So for those who cant decide. Both are almost the same in the end just small differences to cater for different groups.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:42 am 

xb1 is pretty good. the Kinect actually works as advertised which I wasn't expecting.

I'm a little meh on the controller, Just to give you an idea about what I like though I didn't like the dual shock 3 because of its floppy sticks and triggers and i really loved the 360 controller and while the Xb1 is not worse than the 360 it feels like a bunch of trade offs., making the sticks smaller is a negative but the shape of the new triggers is really nice. I dunno its gonna come down to personal preference.

The dashboard is cluttered, but the pins are customisable, so you can just set your pins and not really have to deal with going through menus, I think they want you to use voice commands to go direct to where you want to go anyway rather than go through menus. The notifications and changes to achievements is pretty cool. You don't need to use Kinect but since it's there and actually works i've started using it to navigate the dash and use basic stuff in dead rising (jerking controller while being attacked by zombies, calling zombies to their doom etc)

I only have two games ATM, Dead rising and FIFA and neither are really beautiful but they do look significantly better than most of my games on 360 and ps3. however one is an EA "everywhere port" and while dead rising isn't pretty it has nice looking zombie models and there are 100's on screen at any one time which is a pretty big jump from the 30 or 40 on screen in dead rising 2, the world looks significantly better, its in a proper open world and there is no loading once the game has started so its still very impressive in it's own weird way.

I'm picking up the PS4 on Friday and them I'm on holidays for two weeks. so ill have the time to put both of them through their paces.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:34 pm 

Do either of them have playback for previous gen games?

Olly
Roleplayer09
Wolflord

Revenge shall be mine!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:08 pm 

Quote:
Do either of them have playback for previous gen games?
nope.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:05 am 

So I've spent about 5 hours with the ps4 now and a week with the XB1 and I think I have some preliminary comparisons.

Of the two I prefer the XB1 controller, while the DS4 is significantly better than the DS3, I still find the triggers too floppy, however I think I prefer the 360 controller over both.

When it comes to FPS I think the 360 is probably better due to the tension in the triggers, both the DS4 and the XB1's triggers feel a bit sloppy when compared to the 360. Possibly the XB1's rumble triggers might help with that but so far I am unimpressed with either controller.

The DS4 does come with a lot of bells and whistles however and its possible i'll fall in love with the stereo headphone jack or the touchpad at some point in the future, it just hasn't happened yet.

As for the difference in the games....at this point I can't tell I only have 4 games. I can say after hearing everyone rave about how good AC4 Black Flag looks on PS4 I'm a little underwhelmed, sure its pretty but its not amazing. FIFA on XB1 looks pretty good, and I'm still impressed with the amount of Zombies on screen in Dead Rising 3.

I have had trouble with the update for PS4 today, a 300mb patch took significantly longer than my 500mb XB1 patch last week. I dunno if that's a sign that they haven't upgraded their infrastructure or that its launch day and everyone is DL it.

The dashboards on both consoles really couldn't be more different, the XB1 has a lot of stuff going on, its offering you many different options, its very cluttered, while the PS4 has a streamlined interface....to the point where I miss options. It feels like there are less options.

At this point in time I couldn't really recommend either one to anyone. The XB1 feels more robust but honestly there are not enough games for either of them at this point and I feel that both systems will get a pretty hefty OS upgrade within 6 months to get them in line with basic last gen functionality (streaming, 3d movie playback, Etc).

If I had to choose one right now, gun to my head, it'd be the XB1.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:36 am 

How about that steam console coming out. Woop woop.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:40 am 

I'm interested in a steam box but probably not the one that is making the rounds at the moment, it looks way too gaudy for my living room.

Steam boxes are going to be weird. I don't know if they will able to compete with consoles.

The great thing about consoles is that they are all exactly the same, so developers can write exactly to the box and pull some stupid good tricks, take GTA 5 as an example. that thing was running on 512megs of ram, on 8 year old GPU's...and that game is very pretty and its amazing they pull it off.

That kind of thing wont be possible with Steam boxes as they will all be varied. You'll just have to do what you've always done with PC's and upgrade every two years to brute force the pretty.

Update on my PS4, the controller was almost dead when I went to bed last night, I got about 6 hours of play time out of it from a "full charge". (all the bars were full when I started playing but it was only plugged in while I updated the system.) I've had my xb1 controller with a play and charge kit since last Friday and I have put at least 18 hours into that machine and its only half dead.

I dunno if its the stupid light (that you cant turn off) or the touchpad I never use in AC4 draining the battery but that kinda battery life seems pretty poor.