It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:55 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: New consoles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:10 pm 

So anyone getting the Xbox 1 on Friday, or the PS4 next week, i'm looking to add some WA locals to my friends list so I can find good lag free games.

None of my local vidiya gaming friends are picking either up at launch (well one is but ATM he doesn't have internet) and I find lag pretty bad when I play with people who aren't in the Perth metro on 360.

Also, if you are getting a new console which one and what games are you picking up at launch?

My must buys are Dead rising on XB1, and AC Black Flag of Ps4 (apparently it runs better than xb1 version and I need to get something other than Resogun for the PS4), I'm also going to get need for speed on one of them but I haven't decided which one.

I believe all XB1 Day ones get fifa, and I hear good things about fifa but I'm not much of a sports gamer, but its free so ill at least try it I guess.

Last edited by ninnanuam on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New comsoles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

I'm quite interested to hear which one of the two (XB1 vs PS4) people are picking (if buying one) and why.

Post subject: Re: New consoles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:42 pm 

I currently have a 360 and PS3, I will end up just getting the PS4 this time around though. There just isn't any Xbox exclusives that I'm interested in, even Titan Fall is going to be on PC. PS4 also has 8GB of 5DDR which is insanely good at transferring large amounts of video (read that as high resolution graphics). The biggest decider for me though is that the PS4 is able to run natively at 1080p while the XB1 is going to be natively 720p then upscaled. That and the ease with which people can now develop for the PS4 as well. There are so many indy titles coming to the PS4 it's nuts.

I may end up with both again, but I'm not buying either for a few months as I still have a back catalogue of about 5 games to get through :) But when I do I'll be starting with PS4 and the new UFC game!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:53 pm 

Out of curiosity, what's everyone planning to do with their old PS3 and 360?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:37 pm 

Getting the XBox One, the 360 is being handed down to the kids :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:52 pm 

I'm an Xbox fan boy since the halo series began. Xbox one has some neat features but is outclassed in the graphics arena by the playstation although I'm not sure about the 720p upscale to 1080p res only. The reviews I read said the XB1 is capable of 1080p native however they went on to say it will depend on the game developers to write code to unlock the extra capacity (however unlikely that maybe). Mind you I am no expert and the reviews may have been old. I read one review that mentioned that gamers seated at a distance of over 2m from the display are unlikely to even notice the difference in graphics quality or performance between the two consoles.

I'm mainly locked in to the xbox out of pure discust at the playstation controller which is said not to have changed dramatically.

I'm only buy one game this round... Battlefield 4! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 pm 

I'm a Sony man, so PS4 for me. I have a PS1,2and 3. Never been a fan of Xbox. A mate of mine started with Xbox, switched to PS3, loved it and never looked back.

I keep all my old consoles (save Nintendo ones...never been impressed by them...)

I like a lot of games that I think only come out on Playstation. (Yakuza and Hyperdimension Neptunia series. Pretty sure these are only on Playstation, though I might be wrong...)

For me, the Playstation control pad is the most ergonomic and I'm happy it hasn't changed much over all its incarnations.

Personally I find the Xbox pad difficult to use.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:37 am 

Yeah if it ain't broke don't fix it :-)

Sony camp also. Although got a 360 also purely for gears of war & halo.
Will be waiting for both consoles to drop abit in price before splurging though.

Olly
Roleplayer09
Wolflord

Revenge shall be mine!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:36 am 

Quote:
I currently have a 360 and PS3, I will end up just getting the PS4 this time around though. There just isn't any Xbox exclusives that I'm interested in, even Titan Fall is going to be on PC. PS4 also has 8GB of 5DDR which is insanely good at transferring large amounts of video (read that as high resolution graphics). The biggest decider for me though is that the PS4 is able to run natively at 1080p while the XB1 is going to be natively 720p then upscaled. That and the ease with which people can now develop for the PS4 as well. There are so many indy titles coming to the PS4 it's nuts.

I may end up with both again, but I'm not buying either for a few months as I still have a back catalogue of about 5 games to get through :) But when I do I'll be starting with PS4 and the new UFC game!
Forza 5 is 1080p native, locked at 60...and looks badass. So the XB1 can do native 1080p, Too bad its a simmy car game so I wont touch it with a 10 foot pole.

This whole resolution thing is weird, I don't doubt the PS4 is more powerful but to compare multiplatform launch games at the beginning of the cycle and just go "yep the PS4 version is better so all future games will be as well" is a bit short sighted. Does anyone remember how it took years for multiplatform games to look any good on PS3? That machine was head a shoulders more powerful than the 360 but was straight up terrible with certain engines.

I expect this generation to be similar the multis will look possibly look a little worse on 1 than PS4 but the games designed for 1 will look pretty good, while games for PS4 will look even better still.

Which is why i'm buying both on launch yo! you telling me you don't want dead rising three, it has all the zombies.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:46 am 

Quote:
I'm mainly locked in to the xbox out of pure discust at the playstation controller which is said not to have changed dramatically.
I'm not a fan boy of either, but you may want to check out this review by Adam Sessler, he's been one of my favourite reviewers for many years. I've included both impressions, but haven't watched the XB1 one yet.

XB1 Controller

PS4 Controller

Link to their youtube channel

In regards to the native 1080p, both consoles are doing it, but the PS4 can do it without a framerate hit. It'll take time for people to optimise their code for the XB1 to be up to par. Looking back I have far more PS exclusives than I do XB ones as well, games like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Last of Us and Infamous were alot of fun. I originally got an 360 for the Exclusive Alan Wake. Then they made it available on PC. -.-

I'll be moving the PS3/360 into the living room with an old big tele and using it as a kids friendly media/gaming station. Ultimately, their will be minor performance differences between the machines, and I'll probably end up with both if XB can give me some exclusives I want to play.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:58 am 

Picking up a PS4 at launch, along with Killzone: Shadowfall, and will be buying Resogun and Flower from PSN.

I rarely play console games online, but I'll grab my PSN ID tonight and post it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:36 am 

Quote:
Picking up a PS4 at launch, along with Killzone: Shadowfall
this is also my plan.
Spewin Destiny got pushed back, also looking forward to Dying Light.

my PS3 is currently the DVD, Blu Ray, set top box (thanks Play tv) so the PS3 will remain attached to the tv.

Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 make me sad for PS4, but i am sure i will get over it, with some pewpew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:41 am 

Quote:
I don't think Destiny was ever planned as a release title, are you thinking of Watch Dogs maybe? I was really bummed when that got delayed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:43 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think Destiny was ever planned as a release title, are you thinking of Watch Dogs maybe? I was really bummed when that got delayed.
perhaps.
Infamous Second Son also has a PS4 bundle, but an unknown release, my guess is Christmas.

very minor thing, but I hope Sony releases a PlayTv2, i find PlayTv really handy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
perhaps.
Infamous Second Son also has a PS4 bundle, but an unknown release, my guess is Christmas.

very minor thing, but I hope Sony releases a PlayTv2, i find PlayTv really handy
Infamous Second Son is March next year, gonna be awesome :)