It is currently Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:00 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:39 am 

Well it seems that in a world of displaced gaming , the large number of different type of games being played has seen the games get lower turn out and in some cases no turn out.

The question is this as a gaming where do you go to look for games and tournament. what media outlet attacks you to a game and gets you to an event.

Many T.O.s spend hours setting every thing up and getting the work out. So are we targeting the right core demographic or are we now back to relying on word of mouth until the system has economics of scale.

please let us know what your thoughts are and where you look for your game system events and tournaments.

Mantic Pathfinder

my blog

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:06 pm 

Not as a TO but as a Player I have found that:
1. You need multiple information streams. ie Facebook, Westgamer, Gaming club announcements on game days, flyers at shops etc.
1.1 Build a buzz with getting people to chat about it and reminding people that it is coming.

Actually rereading your question...

facebook may be the most effective as most people check it alot. Very handy for keeping in contact and setting reminders etc.

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:51 pm 

1. You need multiple information streams. ie Facebook, Westgamer, Gaming club announcements on game days, flyers at shops etc.
+1 to that.

I don't use Facebook as I don't have time for it. I only communicate wargaming related stuff via the Westgamer forum. So if events I am potentially interested in get advertised on this forum I will do my best to attend. Otherwise...cut to screensaver. :shock:

We've learnt from history that we don't learn from history.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:46 pm 

PM sent Justin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 pm 

I personally prefer Westgamer contact, but I know a lot of communication is done on Facebook these days. The problem i have repeatedly with Facebook events is that they assume the 'going' number is accurate and dont pre-sell tickets, so showing up on the day has led to a fair number of tournaments that didnt fire.

Son of Russ

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:48 am 

I much prefer using westgamer for finding tournaments but will try to find them wherever. Facebook is okay when there is one group that everything for the system in WA goes into….but even then finding something that was posted a week ago can be a pain depending on volume of traffic.

On Facebook having to check a club page (and sift through all the info for systems I’m not interested in), a game system page, and westgamer to find an event that may only be posted a couple of weeks in advance is fairly irritating.

When I ran my Fantasy tournament I asked all the shops that stocked Warhammer to advertise the tournament to anyone buying stuff for that system. Don’t know if it actually got any extra players, but hopefully it didn’t hurt……this was also back in the day when Westgamer was the one stop shop for event info. This approach might be more helpful these days.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:10 am 

I've held off on FB for ages for many reasons including those people have listed above. However much I hate it the awful truth is it's probably more effective than Westgamer.

This forum is great for those on it, but getting on it isn't easy thanks to anti-spam protocols. I'm glad they are there, but I have had feedback that's its just too hard to get on board compared to FB.

As Chris has said, the shotgun approach of multiple streams is reasonably effective. There's no single solution. Back in the Sandgroper Cup days we would hit up a half dozen forums and FB to promote the event.

All that said as per the OP there are many games, and many systems. This makes it very difficult to get decent numbers out to an event, and as a TO I have had to shift my perception of what a "good" turnout is. I used to think less than 20 people was hardly worth getting out of bed for. Now I think 8 is a reasonable showing.

Eight people just doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to return on investment and barely covers a hall hire, which is why I joined forces with TGA for Iron Dragon 4 and Gamagori for Iron Dragon 5... I just can't afford to run as an independent anymore.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Maxim 37: There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.' - Schlock Mercenary
Hobby Bloggin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:59 pm 

While I use fb I do agree that westgamer is quite hard to get onto it doesnt really generate new players which is why FB is so important

As the TO I think you need to maintain a forum presence and answer every question reasonably quickly. I geuss going out of your way to show that you are comitted to the tournament.

This in turn should signal to those interested that you are comitted to the events success and that the event is going ahead.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:06 pm 

I try to promote on as many streams as possible to get the word out.

My biggest issue being a store is running multiple events 6+ a month so staying on top of questions from all sources mixed with the day to day running of a store is not an easy task. Personally we schedule all our tournaments on the WestGamer Event Calendar and our Facebook Event Page months in advance to let people know what we have on, but I was told from WG users after our last KOW tournament failed to fire that just posting on the calendar is not enough and got advice on how to keep things relevant. It is good to get this sort of feedback to help improve the calibre of tournaments we hold moving forward.

With Facebook I find it much easier because I notified when a question is raised and as we use it for a lot of our promotional stuff it is all in the one spot, but if anyone had any more advice on how to reach people better on WG I would welcome it on board as currently the time I do spend on WG verus the return [players attending] is minimal so my time is usually spent promoting on FB, but at the end of the day I just want to see more people playing games so I am happy to work with players and take advice on how to do that better.

Gamagori Events Page
Facebook Page

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:37 pm 

From my experience one of the most powerful forms of communication is word of mouth, from what I have seen from the events I have run it has been one of the biggest things to bring someone to an event. This is more for smaller systems, where you have communities that basically all know each other.
Facebook looks more viable as an avenue for the smaller systems, as we have emergence of WA groups which is a targeted demographic. Also there is less chance that the post or event will get buried on the larger groups (Australian and worldwide), which is great as it can stay in the spotlight. Will say that there are some disadvantages like people saying they are attending or are interested, and not showing up which can be annoying from an organisational point of view.
Westgamer is also there, as it targets the demographic you want and generally the post doesn't get buried or forgotten. I would also recommend that a thread is made for the event in addition to the post on the calendar, in your case Josh if it is for something fairly regular (x-wing monthly) it isn't needed but for some more "premium" events it is worthwhile (you can set up email notifications I believe when people post a response).

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:04 pm 

Yes I think that's the best method. Word of mouth and hyping it up.

Talking to people about it when you see them, posting pics of the armies and terrain and prizes, and getting other people on board to help you do that. GW games have that huge advantage of having stores that you can use for this, the biggest events in the state have been run because (if you have them on board) you have these guys in stores asking people who buy their stuff if they're entering the tournament.

Harder to do with non-GW games, but it can be done on a smaller scale.

Also known as Peter
Bloggin' - my record of painting and gaming in all sorts of 28mm games